X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CranMan
    • Jan 2013

Yet Another Late Statement Build

I have been thinking of building a pair of speakers for a while now. I have been reading around this forum and others and have decided to have a go at building a pair of Statements. I have a couple of questions before I get started and will be very thankful for any help. First - THANKS to ALL who have shared their knowledge and experience. I read on Curt's site about the new woofers and the enclosure and port changes but it seems there are a lot of thoughts on this. Should I reduce the box volume by 20% and if I do what changes are required to the port? My plan is build an external crossover box and the reduced size of the finished speaker would open up some options.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by CranMan
    I have been thinking of building a pair of speakers for a while now. I have been reading around this forum and others and have decided to have a go at building a pair of Statements. I have a couple of questions before I get started and will be very thankful for any help. First - THANKS to ALL who have shared their knowledge and experience. I read on Curt's site about the new woofers and the enclosure and port changes but it seems there are a lot of thoughts on this. Should I reduce the box volume by 20% and if I do what changes are required to the port? My plan is build an external crossover box and the reduced size of the finished speaker would open up some options.
    Welcome to HT Guide. There have been a lot of individuals that have built the Statements who frequent this forum so I'm sure you'll get plenty of help along the way.

The new RS225 drivers can in fact work with less volume. The problem with trying to make the cabinets smaller is that the width and depth can't vary more than about 10% or the changes will affect the crossover. You can reduce the height but the ribbon still needs to be positioned on the front baffles so the ribbon is close to your seated ear height. There's a little bit of height to work with but not a great deal.

The simplest solution is to capitalize on the increased volume with port changes and stick to the original dimensions. Curt can advise you on any port changes that might be required.

We look forward to seeing pictures in this build thread.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

Hi and welcome.

The trick is to keep the same external dimensions and thus the same tunnel length, while reducing the internal volume of the bass reflex chamber and changing the tuning of the port to achieve the same result.
      Make sure though to keep sufficient space behind the woofers for breathing.

I did exactly this with my Statement Center Channel using the new drivers and it worked out very well and allowed me to make a special crossover compartment while keeping the original box dimensions.
      Have a look at my build thread for pictures and info.

Good luck and remember: we like pictures

Comment

• CranMan
        • Jan 2013

Sorry for the delay - the weather has not been cooperating much. I have been busy ordering parts and am still deciding on a final design. If someone will tell me how to post some pictures I will be glad to post some (no laughing).

Comment

• BeerParty
          • Oct 2008

If your pictures are small enough, you can attach them to your post. Best practice is to keep the width <=800 pixels.

Use the advanced 'Reply to Thread' page, at the bottom there is a button for 'Managing Attachments' that you can use. I have attached an image using that method. You should see a thumbnail of the image at the bottom of this post.

Once the link appears below the 'Managing Attachments' button, you can right click on the link a select 'Copy Link Location' (or the equivalent for your browser, I'm using Firefox). Once you have the link you select the 'Insert Image' button (the button above the text box just to the right of the bullets list, it looks like little mountains) and paste the URL into the dialog box. That will post the URL in your text, surrounding it with image tags: [IMG]xxx[/IMG]

Then your image will show up full sized in your post, like this:

If you will be posting a lot of pictures, it is probably easier to post them to Photo-bucket (or other photo hosting sites) and just post the links here. Once your pictures are in Photo-bucket they have buttons that provide the links, you just get the link from Photo-bucket and paste it in your post.
          Attached Files
          Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
          My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• battag1000
            • Dec 2012

CranMan:
            Were you able to solve the port modification? I have the same issue to deal with. Any advice would be much appreciated.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"