How would you interpret this dipole FR chart?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

How would you interpret this dipole FR chart?

I'm trying out an active hybrid electrostat at the moment that has received rave reviews here in Australia against my digital Orions.

The designer sent me a FR chart, with measurements taken at 2m. It corresponds quite well with what I have measured and with what I am hearing.

I suspect that not enough has been done to counteract dipole cancellation where the ESL panel meets the monopole bass section. Would the wise minds here concur?
    Attached Files
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

hi steve, an off topic question but i love the painting in your last picture on your blog. who's the artist?

edit: love your blog

still can't provide an opinion on your graph, however. sorry.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Rta

First, I agree that the integration between the dynamic woofer and the ESL looks suspicious to me, given the dip in the area between 300 and 800 Hz. More of concern, to me, given that this is an RTA measurement, which averages the total ongoing response (room sound plus direct sound), is the rising response above 3 kHz! With an RTA, and a speaker with fairly flat on axis and power response, you usually see a drop in the energy above 5-8 kHz because the reflected sound loses high frequency content.

From my perspective, a good gated measurement with a half hanning window would make me more comfortable about assessing the overall response.

Another statement I'm going to make here is that combining a monopole woofer with a dipole (possibly line source?) ESL is problematic due to the fall off with distance not being consistent between the two very different radiating sections. You kind of have to design it for one distance...

Successful hybrid ESL systems I've heard, like the old Levinson HQD from the 70's, used the ESL pretty much all the way down to 100 or 125, and relied on room boundary reinforcement to help the bass response at greater listening distances compared with the effective line source ESL.

the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

Thanks Jon. It actually does roll off in room. Here are my own measurements of the speaker in question, nearfield and from the listening position.

To my ear and mic it has problems in the crossover area (250Hz or so) with dipole roll-off and the bass transition you mention. The vertical dispersion isn't ideal either.

In spite of that it actually sounds very nice.
        Attached Files
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• gainphile
          • Apr 2009

A planar like that would have multilobe, so measuring a single point in room would not tell anything?
          gainphile.blogspot.com

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
            Thanks Jon. It actually does roll off in room. Here are my own measurements of the speaker in question, nearfield and from the listening position.

To my ear and mic it has problems in the crossover area (250Hz or so) with dipole roll-off and the bass transition you mention. The vertical dispersion isn't ideal either.

In spite of that it actually sounds very nice.
            Much more informative measurements!

Designed for near field perhaps? Sounding nice is likely due to the inherently low linear distortion and lack of resonance in the panels. Me, I'm partial to Quad 57's. :W

Ans you must have a very lively room in the top end!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Coconutout
              hi steve, an off topic question but i love the painting in your last picture on your blog. who's the artist?

If you mean the last picture showing the perspex bedroom dipoles, the picture is by an Australian artist called Tez.

If you mean the pic in 'Cobras and Bruts' it is by Karel Appel.
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Paul K.
                • Jul 2008

Coconutout, I've sent you a couple of emails yesterday and one today. I was answering the question you asked about "that" angle to cut and want to make sure you received my emails and everything was clear?
                Paul

Originally posted by Coconutout

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"