This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fish fingers
    • Apr 2015

new Scan 19mm rev tweeter looks v good imo. 500hz fs..

Comment

• Oneminde
      • Feb 2018

Look at the off-axis response of the D2104/712000.

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

I'm a fan of this one: https://www.scan-speak-store.com/twe...004604010.html

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• fish fingers
          • Apr 2015

Thats a v good value Be dome.

Scans own measured responses often look 'worse' compared to independent tests. Not sure why that is.

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jonasz
            ...and yet another most interesting driver: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...ith-waveguide/

Unfortunately no data yet.
            And whoever guessed $462/ ea. wins the pool. I like the Helios design the more I read about it. I'm not sure that I like it $500 tweeter (multiplied by 2), but I may get there.
            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Oneminde
              • Feb 2018

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bear
                And whoever guessed $462/ ea. wins the pool. I like the Helios design the more I read about it. I'm not sure that I like it $500 tweeter (multiplied by 2), but I may get there.

Oooh, Shiny!!! I bet many people are hoping for great things from this!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Not being known for my strong impulse control, it should be no surprise that I now have a pair on order...

Meniscus claims to have stock....Pray for them that they actually do after taking my credits...
                  DFAL
                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Oneminde
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                    Not being known for my strong impulse control, it should be no surprise that I now have a pair on order...

Meniscus claims to have stock....Pray for them that they actually do after taking my credits...
                    Out of curiosity, what made you go for these and not BlieSMa T25B-6 ?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

What makes you think I don't have those on order too?

The question, in my mind, for SB Acoustics, is have they successfully integrated the waveguide and SB29Be tweeter. I have the standard version of the SB29 Be Tweeter, and others from them, and find that waveguide integration with hard dome tweeters with wide surrounds may be... shall we say, problematic at best.

So, I am either making a leap of faith or foolishness to order these without seeing data... or you might say, both.

The TB25B6 or TB25A6 may be possible to integrate with a waveguide, but waveguide usage is typically pursued for two way systems, but the optimum operating range of the TB25-6 seems clearly focused on three way systems.

On the other hand, something like this may show considerable promise...

Click image for larger version

Name:	T34A+WaveguideSS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	864817

I shall have the answer to that question as soon as I can complete the test assembly...

The reality is that this, or a variant of it, may outperform the new SB waveguide assembly.

This must be verified one way or the other...
                      DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

We shall see what we shall see...

Meniscus will be shipping the pair of TW29BNWG-4 tomorrow.
                        DFAL
                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Oneminde
                          • Feb 2018

Are you planing to compare the SBA and Bliesma, sort of disclose your subjective (perhaps objective) findings ?

Comment

• dwk
                            • Apr 2005

Really surprising that they have stock when even SB doesn't seem to have any info on the driver on their site at all. Very interested in the comparison with the T34A (what waveguide is that on the T34A?) Have you gotten any farther testing the DA25Tx in waveguides? On the PE thread referenced elsewhere someone showed that the Visaton waveguide 'fit' the DA25, but didn't show any measurements allowing evaluating how well it worked.

Comment

• Bear
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008

Madisound has stock as well, and this has "solved" my Next Project dilemma. My first boxes of parts arrive on Friday. I do need someone other than IKEA to source the LBL. Fortunately there is NWBamboo and Cali, who is 4 miles from the SDFWA shop.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

I have plans to evaluate the BlieSMa T34A-4 and possibly the Beryllium version with the Jantzen waveguide. I will compare these to results of the Satori waveguide. Below 24 kHz the A and B BlieSMa parts are quite similar, so I do not expect any significant difference. Ultra sonic notch filters would require different optimizations of course.

There are several possible configurations being considered for complete systems- two examples include NatalieP upgrades (say, a “Redux” and an “Ultra” with the -A version without waveguide for a more compact “Redux” and a version with Waveguide and A or B tweeter for the “Ultra”, using the PuriFi midwoofers. The latter are expected to ship shortly, based on the ordering date.
                                DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2008

The Helios design from Jeff Bagby...

Name:	Helios Tweeter.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	865212

Name:	Helios System Distortion.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	865213

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Yes, I recall this being discussed in a Jonmarsh thread last year about "vintage" design approaches...

I also believe the Bagby design used a 10" SB Acoustics passive radiator that may no longer readily available, as the SB29RNX-00 has gone missing from vendors carrying it in the past. However, it is still listed on the SB Acoustics web site, and some vendors in Europe claim to have them for sale.

Curiously, I have a pair of the WO24P on hand... it could be "interesting" to see how it might mate with the RSS265PR, which has considerable adjustability.

I do tend to think that going for a 1250 Hz crossover with a waveguide of this typical size might be something of a "stretch goal". I'm also curious as to the origins of the dip at 2kHz; whether that is an interaction with the overall baffle size, or some other factor.

Putting things in context, this is the performance of the original Dayton RS28a in a waveguide developed by Steve Manning and myself...

Name:	RS28a Original.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	865214

the performance envelope of a 1.2" tweeter can be significantly extended by the right waveguide, but this waveguide development is not trivial.

Name:	RS28a Polar Combo.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	865215

And this driver and waveguide combination might be a more prudent choice for the WO24...

Name:	990+ME90 0Deg Disto.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	865216
                                    Last edited by Evil Twin; 19 February 2020, 15:44 Wednesday.
                                    DFAL
                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2008

Yes, I recall this being discussed in a Jonmarsh thread last year about "vintage" design approaches...
                                      I was just reading that earlier today... That Jon is a bright guy.

I also believe the Bagby design used a 10" SB Acoustics passive radiator that may no longer readily available, as the SB29RNX-00 has gone missing from vendors carrying it in the past. However, it is still listed on the SB Acoustics web site, and some vendors in Europe claim to have them for sale.
                                      The 30W/00 in 40L has some interesting performance characteristics up to 100W with the WO24P-4. The SB29 is allegedly at Madisound, but the design narrative for the Helios and my Unibox models needed some help coming together, and they never fully agreed. The design is for 35L net, but there is substantial bracing that is not considered in the 35L design number (I used 30L as a test case).

Curiously, I have a pair of the WO24P on hand... it could be "interesting" to see how it might mate with the RSS265PR, which has considerable adjustability.
                                      The RSS265PR seems to match the SB29 at 35L with 425g of mass. Both PR alignments seem to give similar performance as a pair of SW223BD02 woofers in a sealed alignment with twice the power. Box size is larger, but not absurdly so. That does hold the SW223s to their stated Xmax, though, while this alignment for the WO24p is clearly in search of the Xmech limit.

I do tend to think that going for a 1250 Hz crossover with a waveguide of this typical size might be something of a "stretch goal". I'm also curious as to the origins of the dip at 2kHz; whether that is an interaction with the overall baffle size, or some other factor.
                                      [..]

And this driver and waveguide combination might be a more prudent choice for the WO24...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30004[/ATTACH]
                                      I don't doubt it. The value proposition here would be quite high. Hyperspatial, even.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I will check your alignment suggestions soon, as I have a very busy day with imperial business starting almost immediately...

However, being a perfectionist, I would say that the alignments for the WO24P-4 that I have been happiest with all have been around 50-55L with solid extension and performance to 30Hz, and no mid bass hump.

But we shall see what your proposals have to offer...
                                        DFAL
                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2008

I will check your alignment suggestions soon, as I have a very busy day with imperial business starting almost immediately...

However, being a perfectionist, I would say that the alignments for the WO24P-4 that I have been happiest with all have been around 50-55L with solid extension and performance to 30Hz, and no mid bass hump.

But we shall see what your proposals have to offer...
                                          As you are also more aware than I am, the bass alignment with the WO24p is fairly sensitive to the DCR of the series inductors. I started at ~0.7R, and ended up with components at 0.2R to match Jeff's stated Qts of 0.42. Of course, I'm using factory data, and he was using measured data...

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

While considering value propositions, it might be interesting to make an unreasonable suggestion to keep in mind solutions such as the NSD1095 titanium compression driver combined with the XT1086 elliptical horn/waveguide.

Troels was most impressed, as are others of more humble origins, such as myself...

DFAL
                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2008

While considering value propositions, it might be interesting to make an unreasonable suggestion to keep in mind solutions such as the NSD1095 titanium compression driver combined with the XT1086 elliptical horn/waveguide.

Troels was most impressed, as are others of more humble origins, such as myself...

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Lou....htm#The_horns
                                              Sourcing the NSD1095 seems to be a bit of a challenge. I've found a single supplier domestically, and that looks like more of a mom-and-pop operation with an unknown reputation for handling warranty issues. And warranty issues are always a question mark where raw drivers are concerned (hobbyists are guilty until proven innocent...). Kimmo's results for the NSD1095+XT1086 are extraordinary, though, for an approximate $325 combined price point. For a 1.3kHz XO, though, I keep coming back to a "raw" Bliesma T34A or even the suggested Jantzen WG + T34A. Much of this was obviously discussed in the Darth Modula MX thread, so I'm still trying to play mental catch-up. I do like the value proposition of the two mooted Tymphany CDs, though. To my untrained eye, it's hard to discern how much the differences in the VC measurements are due to the drivers and how much the attached waveguides. If one could cross the Wo24p as high as 1.5kHz, then those would probably set the bar for price/performance.

Other things that seem interesting to me:
                                              1) The Satori WG seems to significantly outperform the raw driver measurement in the Helios design. Cross-comparison is obviously difficult to impossible, but there are some "the difference is big enough to be real" aspects to it.
                                              2) The WO24p + PR in ~35L seems to produce similar low-end performance as a pair of SW223BD02s for half the price at half the wattage (the voltage differential is more severe). The 35L volume is a similar form factor to the Dutch + Dutch 8c.
                                              3) A multi-vendor solution similar to what is proposed with the Modula MX should provide a pretty strong value proposition for the same or less outlay than the single-vendor Helios design.

Note that there is a "common man" version of the Helios in process, but the Xmax capabilities of the SB23NBAC will significantly restrict the low-end output.

Comment

• Oneminde
                                                • Feb 2018

Punktkilde 6.5" Mg-Li (Magnesium-Lithium) woofer under test.
                                                The March 2020 edition of Voice Coil is now available online and in print. In this edition, Vance Dickason gets hands-on with the Audio Precision APx500 Flex Audio Analyzer, Mike Klasco writes about Loudspeaker Enclosure Materials, and James Croft explores a new patent of a novel orientation of a cardioid speaker design. And in Test Bench, Dickason characterizes a home audio transducer from Eastech's Punktkilde line, the cosmetically pleasing AUGWL0016-JN02 6.5” midbass driver.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                                  • Mar 2005

Textreme tweet has arrived
                                                  Manufacturer

Comment

• fish fingers
                                                    • Apr 2015

That new fabric dome Bliesma looks to have a pretty good response. Wd need a highish xo tho.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

SATORI TW29TXN-B-4 / TeXtreme Dome Tweeter

Has anyone gotten the Satori TW29TXN-B-4 in hand and tested it yet? I find it to be very interesting.

Jim

Comment

• fish fingers
                                                        • Apr 2015

Regarding that new small dome scan tweeter. Pretty good off axis via Troels measurements. V odd that Scans own never look as good
                                                        Last edited by fish fingers; 22 April 2020, 14:14 Wednesday.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                                          • Mar 2005

Once in a lifetime pricing on TeXtremes https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-woofer-4-ohm/
                                                          Although July not April 1st

Stay safe
                                                          Manufacturer

Comment

• dwk
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                                                            Once in a lifetime pricing on TeXtremes https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-woofer-4-ohm/
                                                            Although July not April 1st

Stay safe
                                                            Pffft. Can't fool me - they're just luring you in so they can gouge you on shipping.

Comment

• dwk
                                                              • Apr 2005

Meniscus showing 279 USD for the MW16tx. July 7 availability date

Comment

• Bear
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2008

The T25A and 25B are finally showing on Bliesma's website.

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                  • Nov 2006

SB's updated midrange is now in stock:

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                    • Sep 2009

Still no mention of copper in the the gap. Sigh.
                                                                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2006

I don't care about the one true ring (or even 3 like BMS utilizes).. but I do care about the result! :P

..I'm sure at some point someone will test this.

HifiCompass, are you reading this? ..err, please. ops:

(..and I still expect problems around the surround resonance.)

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Just checked the tests of four different Excel drivers with the graphene coating in the Klang & Ton magazine. They have very low distortion through the midrange. They use a percentage scale so its hard to see the finer details but at 95 dB the 3rd order is almost hugging the 0% line. Definately a big step up from the older drivers, pity they're so expensive though.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                          • 1532

The impedance bobble and slight dip at 1500Hz are unfortunate, but both are slight, and may not have much impact. Paper cones... and edge resonances.
                                                                          DFAL
                                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 1038

Originally posted by Scottg
                                                                            SB's updated midrange is now in stock:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...m-new-version/
                                                                            I'd love to see an NBAC version, but the CAC version is what we get. I'm also still curious about motor reuse. This paper version has 0.1mH less inductance than the 12cm CAC (0.15 vs 0.25mH). The physics of windings are what they are, and maybe I'm hung-up on Le as a driver for harmonic distortion, but I still want the CAC version to have less inductance than the 15cm or 17cm drivers. I'd love for this paper version to be a lot better than the prior one, though.

Comment

• Face
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 995

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                              https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...ith-waveguide/

Oooh, Shiny!!! I bet many people are hoping for great things from this!
                                                                              Kind of odd that there are no specs, yet? I can't seem to find it on SB's site, either.

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2008
                                                                                • 1038

Originally posted by Face
                                                                                Kind of odd that there are no specs, yet? I can't seem to find it on SB's site, either.

This is all that I could get from SBA when I contacted them.

Name:	TW29BNWG-4.png
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	865502

Comment

• SwerveCity
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2017
                                                                                  • 1

Here's a new one that's way out of my reach.

Comment

• Oneminde
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2018
                                                                                    • 91

Waveguide softdome

Solid aluminium waveguide, controlled directivity, adapter ring for bolt-less mounting to driver, fine weave soft fabric dome for smooth frequency response.

Comment

• fish fingers
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2015
                                                                                      • 189

Another SB driver-- seems that we are finally getting an 8" CRC. Can see this being a very popular driver if parameters are well judged

Comment

• Scholl
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2019
                                                                                        • 9

Originally posted by fish fingers
                                                                                        Another SB driver-- seems that we are finally getting an 8" CRC. Can see this being a very popular driver if parameters are well judged
                                                                                        That's interesting, but I cannot see this 8" CRC on SB website, even in the coming soon list. Could you indicate where you heard about it ?

Comment

• fish fingers
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2015
                                                                                          • 189

Nothing up yet, will let you know if I see anything on their IG

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                                            • 1038

It looks like Solen now has both the 4ohm and 8ohm 6" Purifi woofers in stock, and the 4ohm 4" is available for backorder.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"