Alternative to statement monitors with close wall placement.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voxxonline
    • Sep 2012

Alternative to statement monitors with close wall placement.

I have to confess, I am more into the music, but looks like this forum has quite few followers of Statement monitors- which I do admire.
    I have few posts and as sequence interfered into this thread.
    Result: no way I can use Statement monitors due to the room limitations- too close to the wall.
    Would you be so kind and help me to figure out which speakers would be good for cramped places like mine.
    Room scheme attached.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LIVINGROOMPLAN.jpg Views:	282 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	871075
    Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:35 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

You didn't give the dimensions of the room itself.
    What does "all area is l shaped" mean?

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

Your side reflections aren't symmetrical regardless of speaker choice.
      Is it an option to move the TV in front of the window and place the sofa in the middle?
      That would solve a lot.

Comment

• BeerParty
        • Oct 2008

Have you gone through the options in the A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs thread? K has done an excellent job of summarizing the different designs available.

The Statements were a design collaboration between Curt, Jim, and Wayne and are documented on Curt's web site. If you are partial to that design, Curt has all of his other designs listed there as well.
        Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:31 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• voxxonline
          • Sep 2012

Will post tomorrow size of the room- need to check. But it is not too big.
          Moving sofa is not possible.
          L shaped means the place with the door into the room smaller- kitchen is a bit narrow there.
          I will check a guide, thank you.
          Yes- Curt's designs quite attractive.

Comment

• mattsk8
            • Oct 2011

Not sure how far you'd like to go, but you might be able to start a bit cheaper and build the Tritrix MTMs. I have the Tritrix MTM TLs and they're not terribly finicky for placement IMO, they seem to have great imaging. Another option is the Stance, the designer of the Stance said just fill the port if they'll be up against a wall. I also had some recommendations for Zaph's 5.3c. The 5.3c was designed as a center, but it works well in awkward areas. I also have an acoustically terrible area, so I know what you're up against.

Plan on running a sub w/ any of those designs.
            If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• voxxonline
              • Sep 2012

DA Khanspire can be close to wall

Comment

• voxxonline
                • Sep 2012

To be honest I have some sort of reference - it is PMC twenty.21 TL small speaker with very good sound.
                I would love to achieve something like that.
                Plus- I am renting, and some future proof compromise is still available.

Comment

• voxxonline
                  • Sep 2012

Plus it is difficult to understand how significant sound degradation would be...

Comment

• dar47
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by voxxonline
                    Plus it is difficult to understand how significant sound degradation would be...
                    That room looks small, MTM's with a small sub should do especially if music is the focus. You could do the Nat P's in wall / on wall or the Modula MTM's. They have far wall option too so if you move you could change the crossovers for the different room. They are great for music and have different tweet options and a centre to match. Great versatility with these designs and Jon's system designs are the best :T

Comment

• voxxonline
                      • Sep 2012

Room is 20 sq meters

Comment

• AdelaaR
                        • Dec 2010

That's plenty big if you play it right.
                        I've only got about 15.
                        If I were you I'd consider using the room in the other direction.
                        I personally couldn't live with fine speakers being asymmetrically placed in the room.

Comment

• mattsk8
                          • Oct 2011

Are you referring to degredation related to misplacement of speakers? If so, it depends completely on the design; it can be a huge deal or not so much. Ever heard anyone say, "I don't get it, they sounded great at the store". I just finished building the ER18s. Those sounded amazing in my shop, but once I put them in their intended area that changed. The intended area is tile floors and until I finish building the bar they have to go in entirely the wrong spot for being on axis. Long story short, if I played them for someone where they are now they'd think they were awful speakers; which they aren't, they're fantastic, they're just in the wrong spot.

When I first got into this a couple years ago I thought a lot of the guys were just being anal and that it didn't really matter, but the further I go the more I understand how much placement truly does matter (less w/ some designs, more w/ others). Speakers and sound is incredibly finicky, and it's the subtle differences that separate garbage from something that sounds incredible. While you can't have you're cake and eat it too (there's going to have to be a sacrifice somewhere when you don't have the option to remodel your house around your stereo), there are definitely some viable options out there. Just make sure you listen to the advice from the guys here.

Have you built a speaker before?
                          If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• voxxonline
                            • Sep 2012

I will definitely listen to all you say.
                            no, I do not have speaker making experience, but I am well organized, plus I have help from amazing maintenance department at work. Tools and skills covered.

Comment

• voxxonline
                              • Sep 2012

I will take as much time as it needs to find best solution .

Comment

• voxxonline
                                • Sep 2012

Actually, er18 were on my list some time ago alongside with troels eekels mini and saph sr 71.

Comment

• fbov
                                  • Jun 2008

One special consideration is that you're buying in Europe, so driver availability and price are very different from what we see in the US. It may be worthwhile to look at the master list of DIY designs to see who's building with drivers you can reasonably afford.
                                  Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

I'll note that the OP for that thread built a pair of SR71's and loved them so much he worked with Zaph to create a CC design.

Finally, the great advantage to DIY is the ability to choose/modify/create designs for specific applications. But knowing your application is the first step, not picking a design...

Have fun,
                                  Frank

Comment

• voxxonline
                                    • Sep 2012

choice is more or less ok. Possible to find things , pricing is another question. What do you think about zaph vaweguide tmm, it seems to be less critical for placement ?

Comment

• voxxonline
                                      • Sep 2012

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/...7/Cryolite.htm ?

Comment

• dar47
                                        • Nov 2008

choice is more or less ok. Possible to find things , pricing is another question. What do you think about zaph vaweguide tmm, it seems to be less critical for placement ?
                                        The MCM waveguides may be hard to source, I think they are discontinued but if you can find a similar 6.5" waveguide it may be possible. You could do what I did and CNC your baffle to make the wave guide. I have a machine file for it.
                                        John (Zaph) does great work and I have done his L18's, SR71's in his box and just finished SR71's in a larger front ported box that are my new surrounds.

If you can solve the waveguide issue I would do Jon's Modula MK2 2.5's. I don't think he has built that version but there is a published crossover. My MK2 monitors are my favorite speaker to date. They are great in my large vaulted great room and are fantastic for music in my treated home theater area. I would venture to the 2.5 would have more head room for movies and be just as resolving for music. :T

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTXover013.webp
Views:	38
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	945880
                                        Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:32 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dar47
                                          • Nov 2008

Sorry I don't mean to be pushy and yes I am some what of a fan of Jon's work.

These guys are right when they say you have to consider your room first and there are many great DIY designs out there almost to many and it can be hard to choose.

Of the 10+ different DIY designs I have done and the ones others have have built that I have heard, the Modula MK2 are the ones that have delivered way more then advertised for the money especially for music. In a difficult room they have great walk around sound even placed close to a wall. In a good room sitting between them they sound like a vary good 3way. One example I have is after listening to a new well recorded CD of Ninna Simone maybe 20 times upstairs I listen to it down stairs and notice some vary faint coughing on one of the tracks I never noticed upstairs. I could have sworn it was a studio recording but discovered it was a lounge recording, great sound stage and imaging. First thing that popped into my head was Jon's write up when he says they can resolve the differences between a $1000 & $5000 DAC. No SH!!! They always get the biggest reaction from the people who have heard my builds.

You can't go wrong with any of the design here, I just wish that some others would take these builds on because they are well worth the effort even with the more challenging process. If you are just starting out and want to get your feet wet there are a lot of good MTM's or 2.5's to try. If you want to try a waveguide I would go for the Modula MK2 2.5's.

Okay now I will shut up.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                            • Sep 2012

Good morning.
                                            I will look into Zaph's Modula. I hope it is documented well, because for me as a first timer it is prerequisite to obtain clear understanding of project before commencing...
                                            Thank you for suggestion.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                              • Sep 2012

Confused with the name of modula mk2 2.5... What is this speaker ?

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                • Sep 2012

Found waveguide in australia http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=C6127
                                                Last edited by voxxonline; 14 September 2012, 04:22 Friday.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                  • Sep 2012

Ooops. It is different designer http://www.rjbaudio.com/RS180MTM/rs180-rs28-mtm.html
                                                  Misunderstood.
                                                  so from all of designs modula 2.5 is the best. &ow good will it match cyrus amplifier, which is not doing well with too bright speakers ?

Comment

• dar47
                                                    • Nov 2008

Check this out in the completed designs:

Just a New Year's Eve teaser- at least the last of the crossover parts (cross fingers) "hit the dock" yesterday, plus those for the TMM version. Well, here I am today doing all kinds of responsible stuff like cleaning and organizing, instead of working on speakers, so the devil in me decided I had to do a small

The PDF in the thread documents the build and it has a crossover for a 2.5 version as well.

Sorry if I confused you, Jon Marsh is the designer of the Modula series he is Mod on this forum.

The Modula MT MK2's & 2.5's use the Seas ER18RNX and the Peerless HDS D2608-9130 tweet that is wave guided. The Tweet's are still made by ScanSpeak and are vary smooth with extended highs. There is no harshness in this design.

Remember this is my slant others may suggest other builds, there is no perfect option.
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:36 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                      • Sep 2012

Thx. I think link to pdf is broken.

Comment

• dar47
                                                        • Nov 2008

Thx. I think link to pdf is broken.
                                                        I think he has it linked to his new web site and it's temporally down. You could send him a pm.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                          • Sep 2012

As long as this design is forgiving to placement its worth trying then

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                            • Sep 2012

It seems europe audio is selling waveguide.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                              • Sep 2012

What is better
                                                              2 way with more expensive drivers
                                                              or 3 way with less expensive drivers
                                                              with same totals for parts ?

Comment

• cjd
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2004

What is better
                                                                2 way with more expensive drivers
                                                                or 3 way with less expensive drivers
                                                                with same totals for parts ?
                                                                That depends a lot on the person that did the crossover.

It also depends on the price. At $200, almost surely the 2-way. At $2000, the potential for the 3-way is much higher relative to a 2-way.

C
                                                                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                  • Sep 2012

I've got bom for modula mt mk2
                                                                  Everything looks fine but...

3.3 mh awg jantzen 12 gauge coil cost more than 2 drivers together... ???

Comment

• cjd
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2004

Are you looking at the foil inductors? I don't think most people spring for that! If you're going for an "ultimate" build though, you'll probably do that without looking back.

I've definitely seen designs using the Jantzen 3.3mH C-coil toroidal inductors here, which are ~$100 less than the foil air-core. Personally, I'm not sure I'd opt for the toroidal over a classic iron core (Say, Jantzen P-core or Erse iron core) - the key ingredient here is low impedance. I can't remember where I read something or other that makes me less keen on the c-coils but...

Anyhow, there are certainly people that believe you should put an arbitrary price cap on crossover cost and anything over is a waste. On the other hand, I've never heard a design that I could live with that took this approach - I *have* heard some excellent crossovers that were cheaper than mine (or Jon's) using similar drivers so there is more than one way to skin a cat. Or design a crossover.

C
                                                                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                      • Sep 2012

The problem is crossover and choice of coil, caps etc are really like dark forest to me.
                                                                      I am not able to find compromise between them. Currently I refer to modula's high quality x over part. Which is expensive though- price is more for tm modula than mtm natP.
                                                                      I do like more modula mt mk2 more than natP, but it seems to be difficult to excuse such expensive crossover (knowing how some people say it is not worth doing).
                                                                      Confused and lost

Comment

• dar47
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2008

The problem is crossover and choice of coil, caps etc are really like dark forest to me.
                                                                        I am not able to find compromise between them. Currently I refer to modula's high quality x over part. Which is expensive though- price is more for tm modula than mtm natP.
                                                                        I do like more modula mt mk2 more than natP, but it seems to be difficult to excuse such expensive crossover (knowing how some people say it is not worth doing).
                                                                        Confused and lost
                                                                        Jon carefully and thoughtfully explained his chooses especially the C-Core. I followed his recommendation to the ESA on the tweeter, the MR was to rich for my blood. It could be interesting to build a cheeped out version to compare but I think the goodness is in the pudding in this case. Besides if your going to the extra trouble to build the waveguided 2.5 whats a few more. I wouldn't spend on foils though and Jon didn't spec them.

here mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTXover003.webp
Views:	39
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	945881
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Sep 2012

I really like tm version, as yours. And will probably do this, and order parts from parts express.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Sep 2012
                                                                            • 38

The only question- will modula mt mk2 outperform natP mtm ?

Comment

• dar47
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2008
                                                                              • 876

#39
                                                                              The only question- will modula mt mk2 outperform natP mtm ?
                                                                              NatP in monitor form is tuned to 32hrz F6-38, tower form 28 F6-29 and will have 3db more head room, so if movies at 105db is the goal then the NatP.

I haven't heard the NatP but I have built the Modula MTM (more expensive xover)for a friend and I prefer mk2 for music. The mk2 is tuned to 40 hrz and if you add a sub and cross at 40hrz to 60hrz to relieve bass duty your almost there for movies.

I added this little number,

Image not available
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 19:34 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Sep 2012
                                                                                • 38

#40
                                                                                I was double checking capacitors, coils, everything.
                                                                                Probably I am closer to true state of affairs now
                                                                                So badly miscalculated- bom for modula mk2 is ok.
                                                                                I ll keep looking and educating myself with all these (especially) coils and values (awg to mm) and will make final list of items, for (if possible) this forum to check before I buy.
                                                                                I m on right course finally.

Comment

• voxxonline
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2012
                                                                                  • 38

#41
                                                                                  I was reading more into different designs and drivers. Don't want to start new thread, but have some questions.
                                                                                  It looks dayton rs150 and 180 are very good drivers for very reasonable price.
                                                                                  But how do they compare to let's say w12cy003 or w15cy001- will seas excel be significantly better even seeing price difference ?
                                                                                  And yes- waveguides are hard to source...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"