X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

New Design Posted: The Invictus -You read it here first at HTGuide

I've published a new 2 way on my Speaker Design Works site using the new CSS LD25X tweeter and the Scan Speak 18W8531G Revelator. This is one of the most musical designs I've done in quite a while, and I find myself listening to it more often than not. The CSS tweeter is first rate and in my opinion is every bit an equal to the Revelator. There are 3 different enclosure variations for the design.

This kind of performance doesn't come without cost, but for those who appreciate the simplicity of a 2 way and want to hear all the nuance and detail the source material has to offer, you'd do well to consider these fine drivers in this or any other design.

You can see my write up here:

As always, the design is fully described on my site, and available free for DIY use only. A kit using crossover components befitting these drivers is available from Meniscus. Click on the pic on the crossover page, or just go to the Meniscus site and search Invictus.

As always, my web pages are the product of many late nights and I'm sure I've left behind the usual spelling errors and other inaccuracies. Drop me an email if you find anything awry, and I'll fix it posthaste.

This is the first release of several new designs I've done in the last few months, and others are still in the construction phase. I'll get them published as soon as I can, and beg your patience until I do.

C
    Attached Files
    Curt's Speaker Design Works
  • NWLanding
    • Feb 2012

Looks like 2012 is going to be a very good year. This looks very nice.

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Looks real nice Curt, I like seeing more 2-way designs.
      - Danny

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Excellent! :T I can't wait to hear it!

Jim

Comment

• Curt C
          • Feb 2005

Thanks guys,
          I'll have a couple more 2 ways coming out this summer, and who knows what else... So many ideas, so few cabinetry skills...

One thing I should note:

You may need to refresh your browser when looking at my index page listing all the designs. The buttons will appear to be mislabeled, or out of order until the browser window is refreshed. IE seemed to handle it OK here at work, but Firefox on my home computer was less than enamoured with the changes.

Perhaps some of you IT savvy types can suggest a solution if hitting F5 doesn't cut it. -Deleting your cookies or temp files or something vaguely rings a bell, -but I can't even spell IT two out of three times...

C
          Attached Files

Comment

• agrippa
            • Dec 2005

Oh man... I have my clip board full of possible designs to build this summer. And now it looks like I have to add another... AWESOME.
            Having both heard and built some of your designs I look forward to this one.

looks like a close competitor to Zaph's ZRT. They look very similar. A true work of art!

2 more designs... Wow. Can you give us a hint on the level of performance/ cost of the next 2?
            Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
            Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• craigk
              • Dec 2007

very nice 2 way. there is something special about a good 2 way design. i agree that there is something to the higher end drivers, not all of them, but a some are worth the money.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Curt,
                Congrats on publishing what I'm sure is another excellent design. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Iowa and hear it. I would very much like that.

It is interesting to me how strong the Scan Speak Revelator is still going. How old is that driver now? Same with the RS drivers.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• agrippa
                  • Dec 2005

when is the Iowa event?
                  Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"

Comment

• Paul K.
                    • Jul 2008

Great design, Curt. I love the SS8531 because it models so well in both a tapered TL and ML-TL. I've modeled a number of ML-TLs for it in similarly-sized and shaped cabinets for others destined to be 2-ways of their choice, and I found it prudent, without ever hearing one, to use a smaller cabinet volume that limits F3 to 30 or so Hz. That then allows, at least theoretically, it to be driven somewhat harder and to a higher output of 100 dB SPL (re: 2.83v/1m) or higher without the 8531 hitting its stops at any bass frequencies that one would expect there to be much content in most music.
                    Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Nice work on your new project! I haven't had time to lift a screwdriver or soldering iron to speaker parts in months.... work once again is a bugger, and I'm leaving on more international business travel this Friday- and again after the 4th of July. Hmmm, maybe I can schedule a day of speaker building on the 4th- though I think my GF might be upset at that!
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Curt C
                        • Feb 2005

Thanks guys,

Yes, these drivers are something special all right. I don’t recall when the slit paper revelators came out. –seems like yesterday to me.... I intend to bring it to Iowa this year, and maybe another (yet unreleased) design if possible.

I’ve had the Invictus up at (what is for me) quite high levels, with nary a complaint. I’m sure I’m out of Xmax at this level, but Xlim must be compliance limited rather than with a hard stop on the backplate. This is part of the reason I chose Invictus as its nom de plume.

I hear you Jon! Besides my normal duties, I’ve also been tasked write and present seminars at national and regional events this year. I just came back from a test flight where I had to ‘dial in’ the flight control system (in flight). The aircraft had to deliver today, everyone is looking at me to hero, etc. -I’m sure you know that drill. No stress whatsoever! Anyway, for those who are sweltering in the heat today, here’s the forecast from flight level 410:
                        Sunny, Winds 40 kts out of the west, Temperature -30 deg C. Smooth air…

C

Comment

• technodanvan
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

^^^^

Sounds cozy to me. I don't care if it's "a dry heat", 107+ F is starting to wear me down. I need to get back to Iowa sometime...*sigh*
                          - Danny

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Curt C
                            I intend to bring it to Iowa this year, and maybe another (yet unreleased) design if possible.
                            Hi Curt,

If the other "unreleased" design is the one playing in my listening room, I plan on having it there.

Darn! They're good! :B

Jim

Comment

• jhd
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                              Hi Curt,

If the other "unreleased" design is the one playing in my listening room, I plan on having it there.

Darn! They're good! :B

Jim
                              Come on - you can't just leave it at that.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jhd
                                Come on - you can't just leave it at that.
                                Soon..... :W

Jim

Comment

• agrippa
                                  • Dec 2005

Can you give us a little hint?

example: It is a low cost high value system or it is a 2 way bookshelf or it's a large expensive set or it is related to the invictus....

The only reason I ask is i am itching to build a new set and I have it narrowed to 3(invictus is one)... I wouldn't mind adding another set for evaluation.

Comment

• Paul K.
                                    • Jul 2008

Well, you're always much more adventurous than me when it comes to driver excursion. :P
                                    Paul

[QUOTE=Curt C]Thanks guys,
                                    I’ve had the Invictus up at (what is for me) quite high levels, with nary a complaint. I’m sure I’m out of Xmax at this level, but Xlim must be compliance limited rather than with a hard stop on the backplate. This is part of the reason I chose Invictus as its nom de plume.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by agrippa
                                      Can you give us a little hint?

example: It is a low cost high value system or it is a 2 way bookshelf or it's a large expensive set or it is related to the invictus....

The only reason I ask is i am itching to build a new set and I have it narrowed to 3(invictus is one)... I wouldn't mind adding another set for evaluation.
                                      It's a monitor sized 3-way that costs a bit less than full sized Statements and equals, maybe exceeds them in some ways, except for overall SPL and bass impact. The mid-range is stunning, IMHO. Curt did his usual awesome job of turning a pile of drivers into magnificent sounding speakers.

I don't want to formally announce them until I get the cabinets finished, BOM created and the write up for Curt's website done.

Sorry for the drama...

Jim

Comment

• Marvin
                                        • Nov 2007

It's a monitor sized 3-way that costs a bit less than full sized Statements and equals, maybe exceeds them in some ways, except for overall SPL and bass impact. The mid-range is stunning, IMHO. Curt did his usual awesome job of turning a pile of drivers into magnificent sounding speakers.

I don't want to formally announce them until I get the cabinets finished, BOM created and the write up for Curt's website done.

Sorry for the drama...

Jim
                                        Another one for my short list.

Does the term "monitor size" mean similar in size to the Statement monitors?

Marv

Comment

• snmhanson
                                          • Jun 2010

It's a monitor sized 3-way that costs a bit less than full sized Statements and equals, maybe exceeds them in some ways, except for overall SPL and bass impact.
                                          So you're re-releasing the Statement Monitors? :W
                                          Last edited by snmhanson; 22 June 2012, 09:02 Friday.

Comment

• Curt C
                                            • Feb 2005

I'll add they easily fit in Jim's Suburu...
                                            -And they are not warmed over Statement Monitors. I too was impressed with the midrange, although the rest of the drivers certainly held up their end as well. -I think Jim's secret sauce is his driver selection and enclosure designs.

-He chose wisely...

This even looks a little like Jim. I hope I look that good when I turn 700...

Originally posted by Paul K.
                                            Well, you're always much more adventurous than me when it comes to driver excursion. :P
                                            Paul
                                            I'll take my chances. -I don't think I tempt Fate, but at the same time, Fate shouldn't tempt me...

C
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

I see you've found one of my recent family pictures. :rofl:

Now, back on topic. This is the Invictus build thread and I'm really looking forward to hearing them. The Revelators combined with Curt's exceptional crossover design has got to be an experience of auditory pleasure. :T

Jim

Comment

• agrippa
                                                • Dec 2005

Thanks Jim. I suppose all these will be at the next DIY Iowa... When is that? or did I miss it?
                                                I have a potential set... I just have to finish the plans(close) and then build them. Time is the issue as always.

P.s. Man, I am staying here and one other site. I venture on to other boards from time to time. Needless to say I was on Parts express (I had forgotten my 2 old logins and I got a new one) and got my butt handed to me by some fairly rude jerks who were attacking a fairly well known builder/designer. I tried to defend him and blam... wow. The DIY thing is my escape from stupid jerks and stress and now I ran smack dab into them.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by agrippa
                                                  Thanks Jim. I suppose all these will be at the next DIY Iowa... When is that? or did I miss it?
                                                  I have a potential set... I just have to finish the plans(close) and then build them. Time is the issue as always.

P.s. Man, I am staying here and one other site. I venture on to other boards from time to time. Needless to say I was on Parts express (I had forgotten my 2 old logins and I got a new one) and got my butt handed to me by some fairly rude jerks who were attacking a fairly well known builder/designer. I tried to defend him and blam... wow. The DIY thing is my escape from stupid jerks and stress and now I ran smack dab into them.
                                                  The plan is to have all the new designs at the Iowa DIY which is scheduled for October 20th in Grinnell at the college theater. I'm going to be slow in getting details out for the new unreleased design. I had dual knee replacement surgery about 3 1/2 months ago, work is brutal and I just had the pleasure of replacing the furnace and central air conditioner in my house last week. Too many things on my plate right now to focus on finishing the cabinets.

I read the thread you're referring to. It was interesting to say the least. :roll: I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim

Comment

• Marvin
                                                    • Nov 2007

The plan is to have all the new designs at the Iowa DIY which is scheduled for October 20th in Grinnell at the college theater. I'm going to be slow in getting details out for the new unreleased design. I had dual knee replacement surgery about 3 1/2 months ago, work is brutal and I just had the pleasure of replacing the furnace and central air conditioner in my house last week. Too many things on my plate right now to focus on finishing the cabinets.

Jim
                                                    Jim, you have got to prioritize :P :P ..........well, I guess you have

Comment

• agrippa
                                                      • Dec 2005

I read the thread you're referring to. It was interesting to say the least. :roll: I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim
                                                      Yeah... those darn knees. I hyper extended mine 2 years ago and it has been a mess ever since. I guess it was better that then getting hit in the face with a 400lb beam. Long story. It was one or the other

Yeah weird post on parts express. Strange stuff. I never knew People were like that in the DIY. Personally, I use this as my fun outlet away from reality were I can geek out , study awesome designs, dream, and talk to cool people...personally I lurk a lot more then write. My wife made me promise that I won't go to the PE board until tomorrow. So I am here instead...Ha ha ha.
                                                      Thanks for the date. I will write it on my calendar

Comment

• Coconutout
                                                        • Oct 2006

can i ask if the cabinet dimension for the unreleased speaker will be smaller than the statement monitors? will it have a narrower baffle? i already have the wood cut for statement tl and am now very interested in this design.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
                                                          can i ask if the cabinet dimension for the unreleased speaker will be smaller than the statement monitors? will it have a narrower baffle? i already have the wood cut for statement tl and am now very interested in this design.
                                                          Sorry, but it'll be slightly larger. 24Hx11Wx15.5D

Jim

Comment

• Coconutout
                                                            • Oct 2006

thanks jim.

i suppose wmtmw config is a possibility in the future?

(hehe i'm trying to play 20 questions with you here)

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Sorry, Invictus only comments and questions in this thread please. I've derailed the discussion and I didn't mean to. :cry:

Jim

Comment

• agrippa
                                                                • Dec 2005

Hard to believe. a Thread getting derailed.

Ha. Thanks for the dimensions.

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                                  • Oct 2008

Sorry, Invictus only comments and questions in this thread please. I've derailed the discussion and I didn't mean to. :cry:
                                                                  Yes you did! We all saw you do it! :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to lurking now...
                                                                  Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                                                  My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Sure, pick on the old guy! :rofl:

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"