Statements and Statements Center Kits are now available!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Statements and Statements Center Kits are now available!

Click here if any of you are considering building the Statements or Statements Center channel, both are now available in kit form from Meniscus. The kits are complete with all small parts and 703 damping material where appropriate.

Assembled crossovers are an option as is a barebones kit with drivers and crossover parts only.

It just got easier to build Statements! :T

Jim
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

That's pretty cool. :T I didn't realize how many kits of Jeff B's and Paul C. they were carrying. I hope some day you/they can share some sales numbers with us. That would be interesting.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Matt ITD
      • Dec 2009

Jim any chance they will be offering the statements monitor soon?

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

Congratz

Not that it matters for me, because I'm already headlong into building these babies and so I already have all the parts, but do these kits come with the neo W4's or the new ferrum drivers? And does it matter for the sound?

Comment

• Coconutout
          • Oct 2006

sweet~

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Matt ITD
            Jim any chance they will be offering the statements monitor soon?
            I would expect the Monitors would be on their list to offer soon. You might want to send them an email to let them know you're interested in the Monitors and see what they have to say.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AdelaaR
              Congratz

Not that it matters for me, because I'm already headlong into building these babies and so I already have all the parts, but do these kits come with the neo W4's or the new ferrum drivers? And does it matter for the sound?
              The Neo and ferrite magnet versions are not interchangeable without crossover changes so the kits will definitely be the neo versions included.

Jim

Comment

• john trials
                • Mar 2009

That's great. Much easier than chasing down all the parts. Meniscus is really doing a great thing with all of those kits they now offer.

One thing that should be done with the enclosure drawings (or instructions, assuming Meniscus supplies them): add a relief cut in each tunnel for tweeter clearance.
                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• tpremo55
                  • Apr 2006

Congratulations Jim!
                  It's great to see the components still well available 5-yrs after the original design.

Comment

• a-rone
                    • Jan 2010

How are the prices in comparison with buying everything separately on your own, pretty close or marked up a bit?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by a-rone
                      How are the prices in comparison with buying everything separately on your own, pretty close or marked up a bit?
                      That's a good question that I can't answer. Usually, companies offer a discount of some amount for buying a kit but I can't say that Meniscus has followed that path. Call them and ask. They are good folks to do business with.

FWIW, I've found very little differences in driver prices between the major dealers but crossover parts vary significantly.

Jim

Comment

• Matt ITD
                        • Dec 2009

Just curious why parts express haven’t picked up the Statements range, anyone know?

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

They aren't authorized to resell the tweeter.
                          - Ryan

Comment

• yzracer14
                            • Apr 2011

I like! Too bad I've already purchased half the parts I need or I would be all over this.
                            Statements' Build

Comment

• Russ_L
                              • Nov 2008

Statement Cabinents

Would like to see someone make cabinent kits available for those of us who are all thumbs. What happened to the member who was working with a CNC shop for a (group) buy for the Monitor cabinets?

Russ

Comment

• audiosq
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by a-rone
                                I can't speak for the statements, but I priced out the Swopes via partsexpress compared to their kits. The bare bones Swope kit was about the same price as buying all the bare bones parts from partsexpress. I've priced a couple other kits from them and they usually are about the same in cost as if you hunted down the parts yourself. I don't know what they charge for shipping, but getting all the parts shipped form one seller vs multiple could be where you might find some savings.

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

So I was bored enough and I'm a total data whore so here's a spreadsheet comparing the prices.
                                  MeniscusPack Part,Quantity,Parts Express,Meniscus,Subtotal Dayton RS225-8,4,$54.67,$218.68,Parts Express Tangband W4-1337SD,4,$63.20,$74.27,$252.80,Parts Express Fountek NeoCD3,2,$94.07,$188.14,Meniscus 9.1 uF Solen cap,2,$6.81,$5.25,$10.50,Meniscus 60.0uF Solen cap,2,$19.00,$38.00,Meniscus 100u...

All the spreadsheet totals up is drivers, XO parts, and port, taking the cheaper of Parts Express or Meniscus. It's interesting to note that Meniscus sells the pack, but doesn't sell the RS225 separately. The first tab on the spreadsheet is the kit as Meniscus describes, with their inductors, Solen caps, and Lynk resistors. The second tab is done exactly to Jim's BOM. You could probably get out a tad cheaper combining the two brands but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. Also there's no shipping being taken into account. Everything I did assumes the regular ported version of the Statements.

For those who don't care to see the spreadsheet, here's the final price comparison of the Meniscus pack to buying separate:

Meniscus complete pack: $966.47
                                  Meniscus "barebones" pack (drivers & XO parts): $910.82
                                  Meniscus pack individual + PE RS225s (drivers & XO parts): $865.48
                                  Exact BOM brands, mostly PE (drivers & XO parts): $851.50

Probably needless to say, but if anyone sees error with this please correct me! Jim, if you have a gmail account I don't mind adding you as someone who can edit the spreadsheet.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454

Probably needless to say, but if anyone sees error with this please correct me! Jim, if you have a gmail account I don't mind adding you as someone who can edit the spreadsheet.
                                    Hi Chuck,

I think you guys are doing great. The fact is, the kits are there for convenience of the buyer/builder. If different caps or resistors are desired, I'm sure Meniscus can customize the kit for you.

Of course, any brand cap, resistor or inductor can be used as long as DCR is kept on spec for the inductors. If you want super duper expensive caps or budget varieties, it's infinity configurable and they can come from many sources. Shipping fast becomes a factor however which makes the kits even more appealing.

Also, the option of building crossovers for individuals that feel a bit intimidated by soldering and reading schematics is a very big plus! :T I frequently get emails from people wondering if I would be interested in building crossovers for them and I always have to decline. I just have too many other pressures in life to try to do that. Plus, my crossovers are ugly. Functional but ugly.

Jim

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Russ_L
                                      Would like to see someone make cabinent kits available for those of us who are all thumbs. What happened to the member who was working with a CNC shop for a (group) buy for the Monitor cabinets?
                                      I don't think there's any need for kits.
                                      I had a big woodimport store have the pieces for my custom Statements CNC cut for me ... they obviously didn't do it for free, but the price was quite reasonable at 60 eurocents per meter being cut.
                                      I don't know the exact cost of just the 2 Statements since I also had the center channel and a whole bunch of diffusers cut in one batch, but I estimate the cost of the cutting for the Statements alone at somewhere around 20€ ... a price which I call reasonable for not having the hassle of having to do it myself with my simple tools, not having all that MDF dust flying around and being sure the angles and sizes are near perfect.
                                      The process is as simple as sending an email to them with thickness, sizes and quantities.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                                        I don't think there's any need for kits.
                                        This is also in response to a couple of the posts above and to expand on Jim's comments.

There is a very WIDE spectrum of DIY builders. I'm always shocked to learn this. But, there are plenty of DIYer's that don't hang out on these forums and aren't as ... um fanatical ... as us. There are a lot of buyers who the simplicity of buying a kit with everything in it really appeals to. Same with the PE cabinets, etc. I would imagine that 90%+ of the buyers of these kits pay extra for the assembled crossover. So, keep in mind these kits aren't marketed at us.

I appreciate the fact knowing that the kit isn't going to save me money. I'd probably buy the parts separately myself. The information is out there for anyone who wants to invest the time. But, I don't think it serves anyone to bash Miniscus or whoever because they are pricing it a little higher, because there is a market for that. They wouldn't be selling them if there wasn't a market. I think it is great that they are providing these to open up the market to even more people.
                                        Last edited by ---k---; 17 April 2012, 09:36 Tuesday. Reason: embarrassing spelling
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                          • Dec 2010

Oh don't get me wrong ... I wasn't speaking about the parts kits and I certainly don't want to speak badly of Meniscus or anyone else offering them.
                                          I simply wanted to point out to Russ_L that having a shop CNC cut your MDF is certainly an option and especially handy for folk (like me) without big cutting tables.

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Definitely don't take my spreadsheet making as Meniscus bashing, I was just bored this morning and yall probably don't realize the extent of my nerdiness and boredom. I actually learned some new Excel formulas as a result of the messing around earlier
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Benji
                                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ---k---
                                              This is also in response to a couple of the posts above and to expand on Jim's comments.

There is a very WIDE spectrum of DIY builders. I'm always shocked to learn this. But, there are plenty of DIYer's that don't hang out on these forums and aren't as ... um fanatical ... as us. There are a lot of buyers who the simplicity of buying a kit with everything in it really appeals to. Same with the PE cabinets, etc. I would imagine that 90%+ of the buyers of these kits pay extra for the assembled crossover. So, keep in mind these kits aren't marketed at us.

I appreciate the fact knowing that the kit isn't going to save me money. I'd probably by the parts separately myself. The information is out there for anyone who wants to invest the time. But, I don't think it serves anyone to bash Miniscus or whoever because they are pricing it a little higher, because there is a market for that. They wouldn't be selling them if there wasn't a market. I think it is great that they are providing these to open up the market to even more people.
                                              Absolutely, time costs money and what they save me in time I understand will cost me money.

Also to second the pre-cut and filed (around the driver holes) wood I think would be great as well for the 'glue and screw' people out there (like me).

If I had the know how, I'd gladly contribute whatever CAD file would be perfect for handing to a CNC wood shop which would do everything but glue it all together.

Alas, I lack said know how.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

And that is why CJD and I made the Ochocinco's fit a standard PE box, and with the drivers chosen, you don't even have to do any recess cuts. Just a simple hole for the driver and tweeter.
                                                - Ryan

Comment

• this_is_vv
                                                  • Apr 2012

Mini statements

Any kit for mini Statements...also i am trying to look in NYC if some one have these speaker to listen and also where to get the cabinets in NYC as i don't have tools or space living in a small apt....

@Jim

I read now we can do 20-25% reduction in volume because of new drivers..

so can we shape Minis kinda like this now without sacrificing the sound....

Mostly been using to listen music....will add sub but don't need at all for some movies...

Let Curt and Jim know that I appreciate them and there design! :T (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38252) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38253) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38254) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38255) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38256)

thanks for the help...

Let Curt and Jim know that I appreciate them and there design! :T (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38252) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38253) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38254) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38255) (filedata/fetch?filedataid=38256)
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 10:00 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

I'd suggest you call Meniscus and talk to them about a Mini kit. I suspect they'll be happy to help you.

OK, the new unshielded RS225's allow a 20% reduction in volume if you desire (they work fine at standard volume too) but not the RS180's. So the slightly smaller cabinet applies to the Statements, not the Mini's.

Jim

Originally posted by this_is_vv
                                                    Mini statements

Any kit for mini Statements...also i am trying to look in NYC if some one have these speaker to listen and also where to get the cabinets in NYC as i don't have tools or space living in a small apt....

@Jim

I read now we can do 20-25% reduction in volume because of new drivers..

so can we shape Minis kinda like this now without sacrificing the sound....

Mostly been using to listen music....will add sub but don't need at all for some movies...

thanks for the help...

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37637
                                                    ​
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 10:02 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Dean100
                                                      • Jan 2007

Russ
                                                      You may be thinking of Erich over at DIY Sound Group. Not sure if he ever went any further with the Statement Monitors. Take a look here:http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1.html

Comment

• Travis
                                                        • Jan 2012

Ready to begin.

This will be my first build, I just purchased the Statements Center kit from Meniscus. Ill start on the cabinet tonight and hopefully by the time all the parts get here (About 1-1/2 weeks) I will be ready to install them. If all goes well I hope to also build 4 Mini Statements for front and Surround. :T

Comment

• agrippa
                                                          • Dec 2005

It has been a while since I have left a comment. I was planning on building these years ago but ended up making other stuff (house, furniture, barn and such) . Now I am back to building speakers. I am glad to see someone is offering this as a kit. :T It looks like I need to ebay some stuff so I can buy it.

I am glade to see that the statements are still popular.
                                                          Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                                                          Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                            • Oct 2008

Russ
                                                            I think someone is looking to building and shipping cabinets over at AVS (link here). I have no idea who they are or what sort of progress they have made; this isn't an endorsement, just a reference.
                                                            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                                            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

I had an email conversation with Mark at Meniscus today regarding shipping 703 fiberglass rather than foam. These are interchangable. The 703 is actually probably better at sound absorbsion so no worries using it rather than foam.

We also discussed cabinet flat packs and he said that they would certainly consider it if there was interest. So, call or email Mark at Meniscus to discuss the possibility.

Jim

Comment

• Russ_L
                                                                • Nov 2008

Flat Packs

Thanks all for the flatpack suggestions including CNC woodshops and Meniscus.

Russ

Comment

• Matt ITD
                                                                  • Dec 2009

Hi All,

As I move ever so close to buying these kits I did have a question regarding the statements monitors. Should the back panel have a round cut-out that is in line with the TB mid (as shown in the plans) or a square cut-out as seen on every build I have looked at.

Cheers
                                                                  Matt

Comment

• impala454
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

Interesting, I never noticed that when I built them. I think it was just easier to cut that hole as a square with the router... I would like to hear the official word though as I plan to rebuild my cabinets some day.
                                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Matt ITD
                                                                      Hi All,

As I move ever so close to buying these kits I did have a question regarding the statements monitors. Should the back panel have a round cut-out that is in line with the TB mid (as shown in the plans) or a square cut-out as seen on every build I have looked at.

Cheers
                                                                      Matt
                                                                      Hi Matt,

There's no performance difference, Square is easier. :B

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"