X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

HT in a Box or Pallet?

I have to pass down my 5 theater speaks to a friend in Calgary. So after doing a little research I decided to palletize the 5 speakers hoping they would have a greater chance of arriving unscathed unlike boxing and shipping. I'm having them freight shipped with a pallet service from my friends business right to my friend's house in Calgary. shipping and material approx. $300.

I thought I would share my process and get some stories to see if anyone has gone through this.

First I made my own pallet with 2X4 & 2x6" hoping to have a higher height so the fork lift driver doesn't in-pail the speakers with a fork.

I then wrapped the speakers in plastic to protect against any water or moisture that may come in contact with them.

Image not available

I then double wrapped them grills on, in some foam carpet under lament to keep something soft next to them.

Image not available

I don't have grills for the L18 surrounds so I made some with 1" white Styrofoam by hot glue some edges. then wrapped them

Image not available

I put 2 layers of 1" foam under and between each speaker with the front baffles all facing in to protect the drivers, hopefully. The whole mass them got shrink wrapped together which made me sick from going in circles to much. I put some MDF as top caps to them strap them down to the pallet. I'll add some Fragile stickers for extract care. I'm now going to need some help to load and unload on to my trailer to get them to my friends business, maybe 400 lbs. in total now.

Image not available

So tell me I'm not nuts? What did you do? I put $4000. of insurance on and I'm hoping I don't have to rebuild them for him as I'm ready to move on and build some Ardent's this summer.
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 08:57 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • kingpin
    • Jun 2006

I shipped mine from Toronto to Edmonton. I think you should of blocked the bottom the way I did to keep them from sliding around.
    I also built a plywood box around them that was wrapped in a roll of plastic film. I think you should of done this. Maybe it was just me being paranoid about the shipping company leaning something or sitting on them. Also keeps prying eyes from seeing what's there in the first place.
    Each speaker weighed in at 300lbs and 50" tall so they were big suckas.
    I also wrapped each speaker individually first in a foam blanket, then bubble wrap, then bagged for moisture proofing and then in 2" dense styrofoam.

Images not available

Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 08:58 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
    Call me "MIKE"
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

*sniff*
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Oh, what a sad, sad pic.

"Project Overkill" is an icon of these pages.
        To date, one of the most ambitious undertakings yet.
        To have been one of those who had a V small part of that epic journey was a privilege.

But that was yesterday, and forward we go.

To anyone who faces times during a build that makes them feel as though they bitten off more than they chew, go read Mike’s build thread. He was and remains an inspiration to us all.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

[QUOTE=kingpin]I shipped mine from Toronto to Edmonton. I think you should of blocked the bottom the way I did to keep them from sliding around.
          I also built a plywood box around them that was wrapped in a roll of plastic film. I think you should of done this. Maybe it was just me being paranoid about the shipping company leaning something or sitting on them. Also keeps prying eyes from seeing what's there in the first place.
          Each speaker weighed in at 300lbs and 50" tall so they were big suckas.
          I also wrapped each speaker individually first in a foam blanket, then bubble wrap, then bagged for moisture proofing and then in 2" dense styrofoam.

vary nice job, thanks for the pics. :T

The straps will hold them down. The uneven top is supporting nothing going on top. Your plywood sides are nice but shippers tend to not care if they can't see it's fragile at least that's what I'm hoping. I'll let you know if they make it in one piece.

Comment

• kingpin
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjd
            *sniff*
            :lol:

I feel like a part of me is still missing.
            You're one of the great ones in this hobby Chris. ;x(

Originally posted by wkhanna
            Oh, what a sad, sad pic.

"Project Overkill" is an icon of these pages.
            To date, one of the most ambitious undertakings yet.
            To have been one of those who had a V small part of that epic journey was a privilege.

But that was yesterday, and forward we go.

To anyone who faces times during a build that makes them feel as though they bitten off more than they chew, go read Mike’s build thread. He was and remains an inspiration to us all.
            Thanks Bill.

About 1/4 way in I started having some serious doubts but you guys helped me immensely in finishing the project.
            It was a fun ride though wasn't it. :B

To the Op good luck. Just like my project being Overkill so was my shipping job. But the gentleman who bought them paid a hefty price and I wanted to make sure he got them in 1 piece. Plus a few extra dollars for peace of mind went a long way.
            I'm sure yours will make their way fine. :T
            Call me "MIKE"
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I drove a forklift in a warehouse for 4 summers... 8O

But, it wasn't for a shipping company, so maybe they are nicer... :rofl: I would think that 1/4" plywood sides or foam would be a very very good idea. And, I'm not sure what that insurance would cover. I really don't know, but like airlines warnings on luggage; 'luggage is to protect the contents and scuffs and scraps on luggage is normal wear and tear...'

Also consider this, seal the speakers air tight in plastic. Double thick cardboard or 1/4" or better plywood. Put a layer of spray foam down in the bottom of a box then place the speakers in and spray foam the top. Should be very good fit.

Also, how are they going to unload these? Most freight places require a truck dock or a fork lift or pay extra of a lift gate service. You might want to double check.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• CADman_ks
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ---k---
                I drove a forklift in a warehouse for 4 summers... 8O

But, it wasn't for a shipping company, so maybe they are nicer... :rofl: ...
                Anytime that we ship something LTL (less-thana-a-load) at work, we cringe. It's really a crap shoot what you're going to get on the other end, unfortunately. I don't know what insurance covers, and what they don't either.

Originally posted by ---k---
                Also, how are they going to unload these? Most freight places require a truck dock or a fork lift or pay extra of a lift gate service. You might want to double check.
                Some freight companies will deliver to a residence, BUT the fee is literally double what it is if they ship to a dock. I don't know if they have special lift equipped trucks, or how they get if off of there. When I've had things shipped via truck, I always have them shipped to work where we have a dock, and a forklift to unload. Then it's not big deal, other than I have to get it to my house, and unloaded there...
                CADman_ks
                - Stentorian build...
                - Ochocinco build...
                - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Well all work out fine. :B I used Puralator's tail gate service it cost $400. They delivered it to his house with out a mark.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by dar47
                    Well all work out fine. ... They delivered it to his house with out a mark.
                    Success stories always put a smile on everyone's face!!! :T
                    CADman_ks
                    - Stentorian build...
                    - Ochocinco build...
                    - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Most excellent. I guess we're all a bunch of worry warts. It's nice to hear that things worked out for you. I hope your buddies is extremely impressed and happy.

$400 shipping gives me a little appreciate for retail speaker prices...
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"