X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rlantgua
    • Feb 2012

Speaker recommendation for Odd Set up

I’m stock with an Odd build in cabinet. The holes are like 2 feet deep. I’m using some cheap sony
    3 way speakers. They sound quiet decent. But looking for something better.
    The center speaker is a Tritrix it sounds very nice. I Kind looking for 3-way set up for mains or a 2.5
    I listed to Lots of Hispanic music (Salsa, Merengue, Bachata) I think 3-way is the best option.

I’m sitting like 9.5 feet from TV. Behind sofa on the ceiling I have 2 8” JBL surround sound speakers
    During my searches this is what I like so far
    Mini Statements – But looks like I need more space behind the speakers.
    Mini Monitor - not sure how will they perform on the Cabinet hole..
    Dayton RS WWMT.
    ZDT3.5
    Avia Trix
    Sunflower XT
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rlantgua; 01 April 2012, 16:14 Sunday.
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

With a Tritrix CC, I'd suggest a pair of Tritrix to match plus a subwoofer (or two) to fill in the low end.

But first, I'd like to suggest you use one of the lower shelves, closer to ear level, and dedicate the shelf to a speaker so you can integrate it into the wall unit. You'd build a sealed Tritrix with the in-wall crossover in a sealed box behind a false baffle that fills the shelf cavity opening, edge-to-edge.

Edges are enemy of flat frequency response. Cubbys cause a series of peaks/dips in the low midrange. By placing the speaker in a false baffle, you're down to the minimum, a corner at the wall and an edge near the TV.

The next best is a free-standing speaker (you've suggested several towers and an open baffle) placed a couple feet out into the room... which also takes the speaker off the shelf.

Then again, if you like the sound you have now, you may not be sensitive to the linear distortion resulting from this placement. Differences in timbre are something I hear, but not something that bothers me, and it may not bother you. If so, then consider these recommendations more of a "best practice" as your living situation may not accomodate am optimum audiophile set-up.

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

• rlantgua
      • Feb 2012

Thaks for the sugestion. I'm still searching for a good close to wall floor standing speaker. I hate those type of build in units.... :M

Comment

• bbggg
        • Jul 2008

Odd or otherwise, I really like your cabinet. Nevertheless the arched shelves are hopeless soundwise. You should try the lower shelves and fill them with tightly packed books on both sides of the speakers. In such a case you could also stuff something absorptive, like spare blankets, behind them.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by rlantgua
          ...good close to wall floor standing speaker. ...
          Then you are looking for a design with "minimal BSC."

Baffle step compensation is the term for the XO changes required to get flat response without the help of a reflecting surface on either side of the driver. The closer you place a speaker to the wall, the more bass it produces. Full BSC assumes no wall reinforcement in the audible band. No BSC assumes in-wall mounting, which you eschew. Thus the recommendation for minimal BSC...

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Putting anything in those holes will result in less then optimum sound. Experimenting with your current Sony's in the holes and out in the room can give you a feel for it.

It would be my recommendation to use an in-wall design such as that In-Khan-Neato (3-way) and fill in the space around the speakers to simulate an in-wall With a good in-wall design, your not really compromising.

If you can't go down that road, then as mentioned above you want at least a design that is intended to be placed near a wall. Many of CJD's designs fit this description, including his RS-150 MTM, Garnacha, Ochocinco MTM, Khanspire.

Forget about the Sunflowers and Mini-Statements. That alcove will not play well with the rear wave off the open backs of the speakers. The rear wave is part of the design and needed to get the balance right. Especially the Sunflowers.

And, as an added aside, I listen to some crazy world music. I think CJD's voicing style lets really well recorded world music shine. This is one of my favorite CD's to use as a demo:

I think I've heard it on all but CJD's Garnacha and it always sounds most excellent.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BeerParty
              • Oct 2008

The center speaker is a Tritrix it sounds very nice.
              I don't know if you are aware, but Curt and Wayne designed the AviaTrix (which you listed as an option) as an 'upscale' version of the TriTrix. If you like the sound of the TriTrix you'll almost certainly be happy with the AviaTrix. It is only a 2 way, but it is an excellent 2 way for music (IMHO).

They didn't design an 'in wall' crossover for the AviaTrix per say, but they did experiment with near wall placement and include instructions for altering the crossover for 'in wall' placement on Curt's web page for the AviaTrix crossover. The sealed MTM version would fit on your shelves and match up very well with your TriTrix.
              Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
              My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• rlantgua
                • Feb 2012

thanks for all the recommendations guys. I agree AviaTrix is one of my best options to get an 8omh save tower. Also like the Garnacha.

Comment

• Steidl Guitars
                  • Sep 2009

I hate those type of build in units.... :M
                  Me too, so I say tear it out!

Nothing more fun that tearing out built-ins... or walls... Really, it's addictive!

Of course, it helps to not be married.

Comment

• rlantgua
                    • Feb 2012

Is on my things to do. We just can't do it right now. I wish I could !!

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

thanks for all the recommendations guys. I agree AviaTrix is one of my best options to get an 8omh save tower. Also like the Garnacha.
                      The Garnacha has full baffle step though. Not an in wall for sure. It is at least up on my site finally!
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• rlantgua
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by cjd
                        The Garnacha has full baffle step though. Not an in wall for sure. It is at least up on my site finally!
                        Thanks CJD... Can I use the Garnacha on the spot whre the white chair is? The char will move. the speaker then will sit like a foot from the Green wall.

Whre is the link to your site?

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                          Can you confirm this. I could swear that I've seen posts where you say it plays nice near the wall. If it is full, I need to edit the "Guide" thread.
                          - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

It blooms a bit. Some people like it. But definitely full. I've not gotten it to bloat so its OK near. Sealing and crossing to a sub helps a small bit. The usual inductor tweaks can help. it's never impossible.
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• rlantgua
                              • Feb 2012

Leaning to a Aviatrix towers. In think is my best option for now. My receiver is rated 8omh and it has no low level outputs.

Comment

• rlantgua
                                • Feb 2012

ND140-8 5-1/4 ,,,, Back orderted until 6/7 ... Wha is so special about this driver... I'll guess I'll find out.

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

Everyone is using it to build the Ochocincos. :wink:
                                  - Ryan

Comment

• rlantgua
                                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ---k---
                                    I know.! :T

Comment

• rlantgua
                                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ---k---

I placed the order on 04/13/2012 , at that time the due date of the woofers was May.. when it was chaged to "06-07-2012" now im looking again to get an update and guess what the website says... Due 7/11/2012

At this rate I guess i will get them some time in december!! lol
                                      :M :M :M

Comment

• rlantgua
                                        • Feb 2012

Finally I'm able to do some testing as the speakers arrived!! got them in October. So far very impressed they sound very clear.

Q. What is the ideal crossover setting for the aviatrix?

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"