X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwisner8
    • Nov 2011

Alternate baffle materials

Has anyone used maple laminate butcher block for a baffle? This will be for a pair of Dipole speakers. Any ideas for other interesting baffle materials, thick plexiglass, aluminum?....
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Also check out bamboo cutting boards.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face

Yes!! +1 :T :W
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dwisner8
        • Nov 2011

I've looked into Bamboo, and that's definitely a possability. Jon, I just sent you an email. This will be for a set of the Arvo Part Mk II or Mk III speakers. I wonder if 1 1/2" is thick enough?

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dwisner8
          Has anyone used maple laminate butcher block for a baffle? This will be for a pair of Dipole speakers. Any ideas for other interesting baffle materials, thick plexiglass, aluminum?....
          I have used maple end cut cutting boards 1 1/2". I lapped jointed to inset the baffle into the top bottom and sides, this created a constrained wood condition and the manufactured board failed along a glue joint which I had to fill with epoxy making a scared look. After working in the cabinet industry and gluing up lots of board I had that nagging feeling using the cutting board.

This is a nice solid launch platform for the diver but try not to constrain the baffle and from now on I will glue the maple up myself cause it should not have failed along a glue joint. I thought I saved time and money but in the end I'm having to redo the whole cab. Want something done right do it yourself if possible. :E

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Depending upon your budget, you can get MIC-6 Aluminum (tooling plate aluminum) in pretty stout sizes (e.g., 1' x 2' x 0.5") for $100 - $200. It ain't cheap, but you won't have any concerns about how solid the launch platform is. The trick with tooling plate is that it is pre-relieved and very. very flat. You can machine the heck out of it, and it will not lose any strength/rigidity.
            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• john trials
              • Mar 2009

Any ideas for other interesting baffle materials, thick plexiglass, aluminum?....
              I'm not sure how good it will be for a baffle, but it is an interesting material that I want to try using as a baffle some day (it's been sitting on my workbench for months): an old elementary school desktop that is made of some really dense cast plastic. It's bit over 5/8" thick and rock solid. I haven't tried cutting it yet, but I assume normal woodworking tools will work.

Also, any time I go to a recital or concert in a nice old theater, I keep staring at the curved plywood seat backs, and thinking how nice it would look to turn one of them into an open-baffle speaker.
              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Wasn't there a guy who posted on here that built some Statements Monitors out of granite? That was insane!

edit: here it is:
                -Chuck

Comment

• baniels
                  • Nov 2006

Granite is fun if you have the tools to work with it. If you don't, it is a pretty rock.
                  ā€¢L&R Buildā€¢
                  ā€¢Sub Buildā€¢

Comment

• BeerParty
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Face
                    Just be aware that bamboo will splinter badly when routing across the grain if you are not careful.
                    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• richnen
                      • Jul 2010

Granite is a challenge to work with but produces a stunning looking and sounding speaker.

Just finished a prototype very high end two way that I am going to try and market. Just in the process of building the final version of the cabinets. The granite is Antique Brown, the same material I used for Clearwave's Minuets. http://i73.servimg.com/u/f73/15/83/20/46/minuet10.jpg

I will post a couple of pics when I am finished.

Baniels speakers look amazing!
                      Seas Idunn
                      ZA5.2
                      ZA5.3CC
                      SB Acoustics 12" sub
                      Statement Monitors
                      CLD M5B

Comment

• gbegland
                        • Apr 2005

I would second the caution about end laminated bamboo cutting boards. I've done a few small projects with them and they worked out OK, but also had a few split along one of the glue joints. The bamboo plywood is much better because you are getting three layers facing opposite directions all laminated together.

Greg
                        Attached Files

Comment

• dlneubec
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I think an interesting material would be UHMW polyethylene plastic. There is a great place to get this for a very reasonable (IMO) price. A 1"thick x 12"w x 48" piece is around $84 or so. I use material from this company for an instrument I build for golf club shaft measurement. They have been great to deal with.

UHMW is easy to cut and drill, but not easy to sand smotth. It is very dense and seems like it would be about as dead to vibration as any material available. I'll use in a speaker project one of these days for sure.

Dan N.

Comment

• dwisner8
                            • Nov 2011

The polyethylene plastic is an interesting idea. I would guess it can be easily worked with woodworking tools? I would LOVE to do a set of dipole speakers in granite or thick aluminum, but I have no way to work with those materials. I want to keep this as DIY as possible.

Comment

• CraigJ
                              • Feb 2006

This will be for a pair of Dipole speakers.
                              Not so fast Dwisner8,

Stop the bus, what dipole speakers are we talking about?

Cj

Comment

• dwisner8
                                • Nov 2011

Arvo Part mk II

Comment

• Face
                                  • Mar 2007

If you can get your hands on it, there's Panzerholz Plywood.
                                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"