This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

The half inch hole in the back is indeed an aperiodic vent.

In order of their amelioration of diffraction effects:
    Round over (bigger the better)
    Chamfered edges (ditto)
    Square edges (no amelioration)

Whichever choice you make for edge treatment, none will significantly detract the design performance, but obviously a large round over will be preferable, especially if you listen to them on axis. Large chamfers can be nearly as effective.

-Don't lose sleep if you can't perform any edge treatments, just listen to them off-axis.

I'm certain the gang at Mad took good care of you. I'm pretty sure that hole for the vent came with the kit at no extra charge....

Be sure and let us know what you think of them here....

C
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• flamethrower1
      • May 2008

Done

So here is a pic of one of them finished. For what I have into them I am impressed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0661-1.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	857040
      Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 13:59 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

The link to the Sten II kit:

This page has been removed, but Madisound has thousands of loudspeaker parts. Contact us today at info@madisound.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MadKit.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	857044
        Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 14:00 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Wow. Looks like a great price.

Curt, how does the NS6 compare to the Dayton ND140? They look so similar. Your Sten is basically the same as my Ocho - but cheaper yet. Just wondering how close they are.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Hi Ryan,

I’d say the NS6 and the ND140 are roughly comparable overall, but of course much different in many aspects. The NS6 has a higher sensitivity, and has a nice sound, if not perhaps the most resolving driver. -But hey, for $10 a pop, it’s a steal. Everybody should buy a case while they still can. The ND140 doesn’t do anything wrong, and IMO, has better resolution than the NS6, but the relatively low sensitivity suggests a higher power amplifier would be required for the same SPL. They both have serviceable, but cheap stamped frames, which hurt them both aesthetically, but doesn’t seem to hurt them sonically, and of course kept the price down out of the $50-70 range where they would have had significantly more competition.

Congratulations on your win at the Chicago meet this year. Of course it was no surprise to me that a ---K--- and CJD collaboration came off so well received,

C

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Thanks... Yeah, I think if the NS6 had been $10 when CJD and I started, we might have gone a different direction. I gave serious thought to building a pair of your Sten's... I still might.
              - Ryan

Comment

• Brendan_L
                • Sep 2006

Back to the drawing board for me.
                My son got some extra moola from his relatives and we're going to make the big Sten.
                Madisound is nice enough that they told me to just return the Sten II crossovers and they would build the new ones according to Curt's design.

This may be a mistake on my part. I already want to put a password on my subwoofers!

Comment

• Curt C
                  • Feb 2005

Great father/son project! I could never get my son interested in my hobby. He was happy with his ipod, and never saw the advantages of 'stationary' music reproduction.

I hope you both enjoy them.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Madisound has great customer service like that. :T
                    - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"