X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flamethrower1
    • May 2008

curts ns6

Just wondering if anyone else was looking at this and what they thought of it.
    I am thinking of doing this for a good winter project.
    I wonder what his "referance speakers" are
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

A link would be helpful. I believe your asking about was/is Stentorians.

Curt does solid work. This design is one that peeked my interested. If I could find a place to put them, I would build them. Curt has a good description of his goals with them and the pros and cons of the design. If you're looking for rock the house for a frat party, these are your speaker. If you're looking to impress your audiophile friends, probably not your speaker.

Curt has said what his reference is. If I recall correctly it has Accuton and Scan Speak drivers.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• flamethrower1
      • May 2008

I have a full Statement surround in my living room and the TriTrix in my bedroom.
      I too am running out of places to put speakers but I have been bitten by the bug..
      It looks to be a good project that would not break the bank.
      I am going in.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Cool. Invite us all over to listen when you're done.
        - Ryan

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
          • Feb 2010

I think he means this
          Stentorian
          It is the first I have heard of this design
          Regards
          Knights

Edit link fixed
          Last edited by KnightsOfNi; 24 September 2011, 07:27 Saturday.

Comment

• flamethrower1
            • May 2008

Parts ordered, have to pick up some MDF.
            It looks like I will be busy for a while as I have parts for TriTrix and these as well.

Comment

• flamethrower1
              • May 2008

sweet, the inductors are not in stock

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Well, probably by the time you get the boxes finished, they will be in stock. If not, you could always try Madisound.com or Erseaudio.com .
                - Ryan

Comment

• fbov
                  • Jun 2008

No, they will only be back in stock the day after you get tired of waiting and spend 2x on the Erse's...
                  Frank

Comment

• Wheels
                    • Oct 2008

maybe check www.mouser.com? they are not audio related, but they have almost everything electronically you can think of. Their prices are always decent.

Comment

• flamethrower1
                      • May 2008

I am going to get some MDF this weekend and get these going.
                      The inductors are suppose to be in later this month, so I will wait for a while.
                      Should I start a thread on the build for anyone else that might be interested in building them?

Comment

• exojam
                        • Dec 2006

I think a build thread would be nice for other folks to see. I would like to see one.

James

Comment

• Dean100
                          • Jan 2007

Meniscus Audio is another place to get inductors.

We are doing some work on our site. Please come back later. We'll be up and running in no time.

Comment

• flamethrower1
                            • May 2008

Just in case I get impatient or if I wanted to go to better inductors how close to the exact specs do I need to stay.
                            The inductors called out are 1.5mh .22DCR.

Comment

• BOBinGA
                              • Mar 2009

Erse has them:

-Bob
                              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                • May 2008

Thanks for dangling that Erse carrot in front of me, damn I have NO self control.
                                Only a little over $5.00 each.
                                I am not going to be able to start these until next weekend, will start a build thread then

Comment

• BOBinGA
                                  • Mar 2009

I love getting stuff from Erse. Their prices are the lowest I've found and shipping is fast and not marked up at all. But the one problem with them is that they are low on inventory. If something is out of stock, don't wait for them to restock, because that could take months. Just reorder somewhere else and bite the (small) bullet on price. I would see what Erse has and order anything not in stock from PE with your speaker order so you get the free PE shipping.

-Bob
                                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                                  My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                                  The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Curt C
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                    If you're looking for rock the house for a frat party, these are your speaker. If you're looking to impress your audiophile friends, probably not your speaker.
                                    Thanks for the kind words Ryan. I've been listening to these pretty extensively the last few weeks, and they get nicer and nicer as the woofers break in. Its been a slow break in process since the woofers excursion even at high SPL's is pretty minimal. Bl stays high, and distortion stays low.

Once I found the best placement for them, (up against the front walls and up about 8" from the floor) I'm quite happy with them. No, they are not Accutons, but I don't think anyone will be embarrassed by their performance. I was surprised by the wide, deep soundstage, normally lost with close wall placement, and the imaging was better than I expected as well. These are a bit more forward than I normally voice them, but it doesn't seem to overtly affect the balance.

C
                                    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                      • May 2008

Hey Curt, I was going to build a base for them which would raise them 3.5" off the floor and then some spikes which should be good for another 1" or so.
                                      Do you think that would be high enough off the floor?
                                      Also, what would it take to bi-amp these?

Thanks, Greg

Comment

• Curt C
                                        • Feb 2005

I'd say it probably will be all right. I can easily experiment with this tomorrow, and let you know.

C

Comment

• Curt C
                                          • Feb 2005

Late Update: (Late because I did this last weekend, but just now, thanks to a gentle nudge by Greg, got it posted.)

In my room (with a cement front wall) 4 inches of height still held a hint of overripe bass on musical selections that have a preponderance for exacerbating this issue. To be fair, most music was fine at this height. This also may not be as evident if your front wall is the more conventional, stud and drywall construction. Be that as it may, based on my experiences, I’d suggest 5” as a minimum height for near wall placement. Having it adjustable in height would allow one to dial in the ‘correct’ amount of bass for a given room, room placement, and personal preferences. -Spacers under the outriggers, perhaps?

The Stentorians continue go get a lot of playing time on my system, for whatever that’s worth…

C

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                            • Jun 2009

Curt,
                                            have you looked at what it would take to make a matching CC for the Stentorians?

Comment

• ---k---
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
                                              Curt,
                                              have you looked at what it would take to make a matching CC for the Stentorians?

Oooh. A full 5.1 system would be fun. Curt should definitely be constantly nudged in this direction until he submits. :twisted:
                                              - Ryan

Comment

• enterprise1
                                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                Late Update: (Late because I did this last weekend, but just now, thanks to a gentle nudge by Greg, got it posted.)

In my room (with a cement front wall) 4 inches of height still held a hint of overripe bass on musical selections that have a preponderance for exacerbating this issue. To be fair, most music was fine at this height. This also may not be as evident if your front wall is the more conventional, stud and drywall construction. Be that as it may, based on my experiences, I’d suggest 5” as a minimum height for near wall placement. Having it adjustable in height would allow one to dial in the ‘correct’ amount of bass for a given room, room placement, and personal preferences. -Spacers under the outriggers, perhaps?

The Stentorians continue go get a lot of playing time on my system, for whatever that’s worth…

C
                                                Curt, based on your findings for the near wall placement, would a good option be to build these cabinets 48" tall ( width of one sheet of MDF ) keeping internal dimensions the same of course and having dead space or room for the crossover in base, or do you think you need to leave the option to adjust the height? Just a thought

Comment

• evorkahn
                                                  • Sep 2011

thinking of building these but are waiting for a surround speaker so im just waiting for that to come. will it Curt ? u can use it has a center with tweeter in middle without changing the xo or must you change it. full surround would be awsome for the price i think

Comment

• Curt C
                                                    • Feb 2005

I'm planning on looking into an MTM version when I'm done with my current project.

Here's a question for all interested parties: I can use the 8 ohm version of these drivers and have an 4 ohm impedance, but roughly 4 dB less sysem sensitivity than the floorstanders.

Or: I can use the 4 ohm version drivers in series and have an 8 ohm impedance and roughly 7 dB less system sensitivity then the floorstanders.

Regardless of impedance, both designs will be capable of about 8 db less max SPL, but still will be quite capable in that regard. The 4 ohm version has a lower Qt, which opens the door for a vented enclosure option as well...

So whats most important to you all? impedance or sensitivity? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but as always, I value your input.

C

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                      I'm planning on looking into an MTM version when I'm done with my current project.

Here's a question for all interested parties: I can use the 8 ohm version of these drivers and have an 4 ohm impedance, but roughly 4 dB less sysem sensitivity than the floorstanders.

Or: I can use the 4 ohm version drivers in series and have an 8 ohm impedance and roughly 7 dB less system sensitivity then the floorstanders.

Regardless of impedance, both designs will be capable of about 8 db less max SPL, but still will be quite capable in that regard. The 4 ohm version has a lower Qt, which opens the door for a vented enclosure option as well...

So whats most important to you all? impedance or sensitivity? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but as always, I value your input.

C
                                                      sensitivity, since i upgraded to my dedicated amp :P

Comment

• capww8
                                                        • May 2011

I would like to see another highly efficient speaker...

Sensitivity gets my vote.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

I've always thought sensitivity is way overrated. That isn't saying it doesn't have it's place, but that it doesn't live up to the hype some places have given it. Just my humble opinion.
                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• clubby
                                                            • Oct 2011

I'm going to go for it. Center channel first because that's lacking in my system. I drew this up in sketchup this afternoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	box7.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	945365

Name:	box6-1.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	945366

Name:	box8.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	945367

I'll post pictures of my actual progress. Parts ordered from PE on Saturday.
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 14:04 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2005

Looks good. I see Curt has added the center channel box to his website also. I skimmed the text, I couldn't see if he has changed the crossover or not.
                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by clubby
                                                                I'm going to go for it. Center channel first because that's lacking in my system. I drew this up in sketchup this afternoon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	box7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	945365

Click image for larger version  Name:	box6-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	945366

Click image for larger version  Name:	box8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	945367

I'll post pictures of my actual progress. Parts ordered from PE on Saturday.

I would be big time concerned with off axis performance with that type of horizontal arrangement.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 14:05 Saturday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                Main System:
                                                                B&W 801D
                                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                B&W CM7
                                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• clubby
                                                                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                                  Looks good. I see Curt has added the center channel box to his website also. I skimmed the text, I couldn't see if he has changed the crossover or not.
                                                                  He said he didn't see a reason to on his site.

Comment

• evorkahn
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2011

is there an onwall surroundback coming or not? had been nice with full surround that are easy for the reiever. havent build yet but think i will

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by KnightsOfNi
                                                                      I think he means this
                                                                      Stentorian
                                                                      It is the first I have heard of this design
                                                                      Regards
                                                                      Knights

Edit link fixed

8O Oh my gawd! ..... :E

Reminds me of my mis-spent youth...

I'm sure in the right situation these will be a lot of fun... though a condo like mine wouldn't be that situation! :lol:
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

Actually they are a lot of fun, Jon.

Turn them up to 11 with oh, say the intro to Dire Straits Money for Nothing, and watch everything in the room not tied down vibrate onto the floor or into the corner. -Kind of like those 'electronic' hockey or football games we old guys had as kids.

The surprising part: (To me, anyway.) At non-lethal SPL levels, they sound pretty darn good for a bunch of $8 woofers and a $10 tweeter.

And yes, next up on my plate is an MTM variation for surround duties.

C

Comment

• clubby
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2011

I can't wait for the surrounds. That will be my next project. All my parts showed up yesterday, including 18 mids that I bought to finish the entire project. Just picked up my lumber. Here's a sketchup of the finished box. Everything is 100% perfect. First time using Sketchup. Used Cutlist with it also, what a great add on.

Name:	box2-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	945363

Name:	Box-1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	945364

If anybody wants the sketchup files, I'd be happy to supply them to you. It's not built exactly Curt's site, but the inside dimensions, hole locations, etc are exactly to his spec. I added a 3/8" front baffle out of hardwood and 3/8" hardwood end caps to really dress it up. The only plywood that will shows in the top/bottom (it would be the sides for the mains) and the back.

Thanks Curt, I'll look forward to the surrounds.
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 14:04 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 392

My build

Here are a couple of pics of my progress.
                                                                            I am using MDF and am going to use 1 1/4" baffles.
                                                                            I modified the lower two window pane braces because I am going to bevel the back of the speaker openings to let them breathe a little easier.

Name:	100_0648.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	856395

Name:	100_0649.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	856396

Name:	100_0652.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	856397
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 13:58 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2005
                                                                              • 791

#39
                                                                              Lookin Good!

MTM update:
                                                                              I've cut the panels yesterday, and parts should be arriving this week. Optimistically, I hope to have them up for voicing in a week or so.

C

Comment

• djkest
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2011
                                                                                • 23

#40
                                                                                Sounds like I would really love these speakers, and my wife would hate them. With the 6-driver arrangement, it almost approaches a line-source design- do you think it produces a very wide soundfield? Man, I'd love to hear these. Too bad I can't afford to just buy the NS6s right now...

Also, how strong is the bass response? With all that cone area, could be pretty good. I think your FR plots on speakerdesignworks are truncated at 100 Hz IIRC. Any idea what kind of extension you would get in a fairly typical room?

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2005
                                                                                  • 791

#41
                                                                                  These model to have an f6 under 70 Hz, but with gain from the floor/front wall, easily reproduce frequencies down into the 40’s. These can provide acceptable performance for most music, but for full range performance, or HT use, a sub is recommended.

Their sound field is something between an MTM and an array.

C

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2008
                                                                                    • 392

#42
                                                                                    Ready for veneer

Not much of a "build thread" but here are a couple of pics of my speakers

Name:	100_0653.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	856445

Name:	100_0654.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	856446
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 13:59 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2005
                                                                                      • 5204

#43
                                                                                      looks like some good progress. Should be making sound soon.
                                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2005
                                                                                        • 791

#44
                                                                                        The MTM version, called the Sten II, and the Singularities, are now up on my website....

C

Comment

• Brendan_L
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2006
                                                                                          • 39

#45
                                                                                          Sten II

Curt,
                                                                                          I believe I am the first one to order the Sten II from Madisound.

I have two questions as to the build.
                                                                                          First, you said to drill a .5" hole in the back. Is this an aperiodic vent?

Second, your test boxes have a 45 degree bevel. Is a 3/4 round over also fine?
                                                                                          Or square corners?

Thanks for your efforts!

-Brendan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"