X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gadut
    • May 2011

Loudspeaker design with SB Acoustic driver

Hi HT'ers,

I am a new member here who lived in the other side of the earth to the most active members location that I find here , exactly in Indonesia. What brought me here was Statement design, on my searching of good design with affordable cost with proven built and good impressions. But unfortunately I can't afford to build it due to driver limitation. I can't find any dealer for Dayton drivers here. While Tangband midrange and Fountek tweeter will cost about 60-80%% more expensive than madisound. I wish that I can build Statemet someday with sonusfaber loke like.

I'm planning to do DIY things which I make with own hands someday, but I'm still on my way of having a new life after marriage-i'm 28 anyway ..Maybe next 1 or 2 years I'll start my own woodworking things.

Years ago, I had my bachelor degree under room acoustic sub major but never used it since I work in a bank. But in the beginning of 2011, I just started to love these ears things. Do a little soldering but not fancy result yet.

I'm low bass lover, which make me love Scan Speak specification but they are toooo expensive (150% more expensive than madisound, due to existing official distributor here). Currently I have a bookshelf with a cheap woofer Silverflute W14RC25-S-08 combined with tweeter Vifa TC26SD-06, overall I'm happy with its performance.

Recently I just found that SB Acoustic driver is fabricated in my country, and I can get a seller which give extra cost around 30%, fair enough for me. But unfortunately there are not many designs that have been posted using this driver ( I can only find David Ralph - The Chameleon). While I have no experience in XO/box design

I find that SB Acoustic drivers have a good Fs (sorry that's the easiest parameter for me to read ) which seems come closely to ScanSpeak driver. I have several candidates as below :

Tweeter : SB26STAC 1" or Vifa XT-25
    Midbass : SB15NRXC30 5" (Fs 38Hz) or SATORI MW16R 6 1/2" (Fs 29Hz,Illuminator construction look like, but still asking seller for the price)

Would anyone help to design a bookshelf with these drivers?

ps : sorry for my english since it's not my main language :lol:
  • hdspeakerman
    • Jan 2007

Sb Designs

Hello,
    Some time ago I was at the SB Acoustics website and they had some designs using their drivers. I am not sure they are still there but that would be a good place to start.
    Howard

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

The SATORI MW16R appears to be the final release version of the "ScAR" woofer I've tested a while back, or at least based on it. It was one of the best drive motors I have tested, but at the time, the cone was not final and I guess still being worked on. It used to be white and had a few breakup issues.

You can't go wrong with the SB15, nice woofer.
      Attached Files
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

If they release that SATORI driver to the public--and it's reasonably priced--I'll jump on board right away to work with it. The Thiele/Small parameters model amazingly well. Plus, look at that pretty, flat Frequency Response!
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• gadut
          • May 2011

I just checked with local dealer and he said that this model is not released to public yet but he'll try to get the item without any packaging, only driver. But it's not an issue for me I'm just waiting for the price, if I can get it less than $200 per pair, I should go with it rite

anyway, why do I think that SB acoustic release the driver that a kind of ScanSpeak wannabe ? Existing woofer series look like the relevator, and this Satori just like Illuminator killer with reasonable price and fantastic T/S parameter.

Comment

• EdL
            • Apr 2005

This is from a source I trust:

"The SB26STAC was designed by the same engineer that created the Revelator series for Scanspeak. According to him it is designed to duplicate the 9700 as much as possible."

I expect that would place it as a great value.
            Ed

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by gadut
              if I can get it less than $200 per pair,
              I wouldn't hold your breath. This Satori is supposed to be a flagship product, or perhaps the start of the flagship range. SB Acoustics standard 6.5" drivers are ~$60 each and with ferrite magnets. If you were to try and get the standard driver with a neo magnet, with the current neo prices it would probably be way over $100. Add in the Satori parts and it will no doubt cost more.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"