How is the Monitor statement sound compare with Full Statement Speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randal
    • Apr 2011

How is the Monitor statement sound compare with Full Statement Speakers?

Hi guys,

Any chance some one owning or ever listen to this Monitor Statement Speaker compare with "Big Brother" Full Statement one?

I like to know in terms of Bass, Treble and sound stage.

This for room size 12x12

Any input pls???
  • jmik26
    • Mar 2011

Interested in opinions between the two also... Jeff

Comment

• DeathMonk
      • Jun 2008

The full statements sound "bigger" in every respect. Although the monitors could easily be used as mains with no problem--they are awesome.

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

In the Monitor Statements build thread (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=29605), Curt states:

Curt: "When we had finished voicing them [the Monitors], Wayne commented that he felt these may be the best sounding Statement yet. He echoed my thoughts, and it was nice to hear a similar reaction from Wayne. Of course I no longer have the other Statements to compare to, so while I strive to make each new design a new pinnacle in sonic attributes, I suspect to some degree, it is merely the fact that the monitor design, with its compact baffle, simply integrates sooner."

I have the full-sized Statements as L&R, and Monitors for surrounds in a 5.1 system. The Monitors are REALLY nice for their size, and if I had heard them before I built my full-sized Statements, I probably would have just built Monitors. I have my system in a 12 x 16' room (set up with the Statements across from the couch on the 12' distance), which is on the small side for the large Statements (I wish I had a larger room!). Plus the Statements are huge and heavy, a true pain to move.

I don't think I have a good enough ear to comment on one versus the other, but I'd be PLENTY happy with just the Monitors. They are really nice, and in my opinion, it's a waste of their greatness that I'm using them just for surrounds. Some day I may set them free and use them as main speakers, like I did for a short period of time when I first built them.

So, I don't know if I've been much help in your decision, but I highly doubt you'll be unhappy with the either.

If it matters to you: the Statements are boring to stare at when listening to music. The woofers hardly have to move to produce beautiful, loud bass. The Monitors are the opposite. Their woofers are fun to watch, and have to move MUCH more than the ones on the Statements!
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

While I cannot give you a comparison between the Monitors and Full-sized, I have been running a 5.0 setup for a couple of years now with the statements monitors as fronts & rears, and the center in the middle. The amount of bass the monitors put out is pretty amazing, and I am a bit of a bass head. For a room that size you will not be disappointed, and as john mentioned you might even be happier that you haven't taken up so much space with the full size.
          -Chuck

Comment

• randal
            • Apr 2011

Just wondering....
            I have 2 dynaco ST-70, What u guys think about bi amping it?
            Is it too much power or not?

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by randal
              Just wondering....
              I have 2 dynaco ST-70, What u guys think about bi amping it?
              Is it too much power or not?
              Not at all.
              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• FroDaddy
                • Mar 2006

If you built the Monitors and later moved into a larger room you could use them as surrounds.

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

That is my plan. Currently have the four monitors, and whenever i finally buy a house i'll build the full sized as fronts then use the four monitors in a 7.1 setup
                  -Chuck

Comment

• yelnatsch517
                    • Apr 2011

Then how do the Monitors compare with the Sealed Statements or Mini Statements? This question is in regards to the flat pack that's being designed. I know the Monitors are ported and the Sealed are obviously sealed, but how's the sound, particularly at lower volumes? I think ported speakers do better with more power, but lose a bit of clarity compared to sealed at lower volumes. Is this not correct?

Comment

• BeerParty
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by yelnatsch517
                      Then how do the Monitors compare with the Sealed Statements or Mini Statements? This question is in regards to the flat pack that's being designed. I know the Monitors are ported and the Sealed are obviously sealed, but how's the sound, particularly at lower volumes? I think ported speakers do better with more power, but lose a bit of clarity compared to sealed at lower volumes. Is this not correct?
                      If you are not concerned with 'going loud', then the Statement Monitors should be fine. They will dig as deep as their bigger brothers, but 'there is no replacement for displacement' applies - with just the single 7" woofer you'll need to go bigger or supplement with a sub-woofer if you want to go loud down low.

For 2 channel music listening at reasonable levels in the room you describe (12x12) the Statement Monitors will be fine. For HT, you should be using a sub-woofer anyway.
                      Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                      My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I think ported speakers do better with more power, but lose a bit of clarity compared to sealed at lower volumes. Is this not correct?
                        Not in a properly designed 3-way design like the Statements series.

Jim

Comment

• randal
                          • Apr 2011

Jim, can you help me with the part list for this monitor statement?
                          I am planning to make one but seems C website is down

Comment

• BeerParty
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by randal
                            Jim, can you help me with the part list for this monitor statement?
                            I am planning to make one but seems C website is down
                            Did you get what you needed? Curt's site is available on my system, but if you can't get to it I can post the BOM. I typically don't post it since it is better to 'use the source', but if you can't get to Curt's website I'll make an exception.
                            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• yelnatsch517
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BeerParty
                              If you are not concerned with 'going loud', then the Statement Monitors should be fine. They will dig as deep as their bigger brothers, but 'there is no replacement for displacement' applies - with just the single 7" woofer you'll need to go bigger or supplement with a sub-woofer if you want to go loud down low.

For 2 channel music listening at reasonable levels in the room you describe (12x12) the Statement Monitors will be fine. For HT, you should be using a sub-woofer anyway.
                              Whoops, I should have clarified. I should have asked how do the Monitors compared with the Sealed Statements down to 120Hz for HT in a 1000ft^3 room? I have a pair of LMS 5400s for sub duty so <120Hz is covered.

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                              Not in a properly designed 3-way design like the Statements series.

Jim
                              Hmm, thanks Jim. I didn't know that. My experience with ported speakers so far have been with commercial speakers, so that's probably why I was under the wrong impression. Thanks for clearing that up.

Any chance a Paragon Statement will ever be designed? :B
                              I'm just wondering how a Statement designed using more expensive drivers, ie. Seas, RAAL, etc. would sound. :P

Comment

• DeathMonk
                                • Jun 2008

Whoops, I should have clarified. I should have asked how do the Monitors compared with the Sealed Statements down to 120Hz for HT in a 1000ft^3 room? I have a pair of LMS 5400s for sub duty so <120Hz is covered.

Hmm, thanks Jim. I didn't know that. My experience with ported speakers so far have been with commercial speakers, so that's probably why I was under the wrong impression. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm just wondering how a Statement designed using more expensive drivers, ie. Seas, RAAL, etc. would sound. :P
                                When I finished my monitors, I used them as mains for a few days. Even crossed at 80hz they were plenty loud, albeit in about 3/4 of your space.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

HERE you go....

Have Rick punch a hole in the back of the mids and you'll be good to go.

Jim

Comment

• randal
                                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BeerParty
                                    Did you get what you needed? Curt's site is available on my system, but if you can't get to it I can post the BOM. I typically don't post it since it is better to 'use the source', but if you can't get to Curt's website I'll make an exception.
                                    Chris, tks. Yes I got it already

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"