X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheLaw612
    • May 2011

Complete Noob - Probably Stupid Question

I am new to DIY and don't really know anything other than I'd like to get my feet wet, save some money on speakers, and have fun along the way. Seeing all the amazing talent on these boards has blown me away.

I'd like to start off with just buying the TriTrix kit from PE to get into the game and learn the basics. I watched the videos on putting together the enclosure and crossover and was wondering where the ground wire came from (Stupid question I know :roll: ). I looked at the kit pictures and didn't see it anywhere. What kind of speaker/electrical wire would I use for it?

As you can see I know next to nothing about crossovers and have been trying to read as much as I can so that I know what everything does as opposed to just following the videos step by step and hoping it works.

Thanks in advance for the help and hopefully I learn everything I can so that I can take on other projects in the future.

Also - side question - how do the TriTrix's compare to say... Polk Monitor 60's that my father has?
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

The speaker connection is 2 wires, hot and ground. Granted, this isn't "as hot" as 120VAC, but you get the idea. Ground is just the other wire from the amp.

There are few better ways to start than the Tritrix kits. Lots of builders, so plenty of folks who already made this or that mistake and know how to fix them.

Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. $120/pair for parts won't sound as good or won't play as loud as if you spent $400, but you can also spend $1200 on some DIY designs. It's hard to say where in that pricde range you gain parity with a specific commercial speaker.

Just understand that the first speaker you build will always sound better than anything you've heard before.

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

• john trials
      • Mar 2009

I started into speaker building with the Tritrix also (to see if I had enough tools...my woodworking shop is very limited)...then I got carried away with a Statement 5.1 system. Have fun with the build.

Speaker wire: everyone has there preferences and opinions. Just get some 18ga or 14ga speaker wire from the hardware store, or some place like that (or order speaker wire from PE when you get the Tritrix kit).

The 'ground' wire really isn't grounded (like the ground wire in a 120VAC plug)...it's best called the 'common' wire, or the negative wire. It connects to the negative (black) terminal on your amplifier.
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

I would build the AviaTrix, same designer but with better drivers. Although more expensive I believe it's worth it.

When (not if ) you get cought in this hobby you can always reuse the tweeter wich is a really good one. :B

Comment

• TheLaw612
          • May 2011

Thanks for the info. So I can just use one half of regular speaker wire? I've got a bunch of 14 AWG leftover from setting up other speakers.

Also, I think I will build the AviaTrix instead of the TriTrix given that it has better drivers. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions so thanks in advance.

Comment

• john trials
            • Mar 2009

One half of regular speaker wire is great for wiring the crossovers.
            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• BeerParty
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TheLaw612
              Also, I think I will build the AviaTrix instead of the TriTrix given that it has better drivers. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions so thanks in advance.
              Ask away. It's a bit old so you probably have not seen it, but my AviaTrix build might be useful if you are just starting out. If you search the forums for AviaTrix there should be several other build threads available as well.
              Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
              My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• TheLaw612
                • May 2011

I meant to say - So I can just regular 14 AWG wire for the ground wire that is laid across the board for the crossover video on PE.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"