Need recommendations for DIY LCR...small room.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ortheum
    • Aug 2009

Need recommendations for DIY LCR...small room.

So i'm getting a little bit closer to finishing my HT. Probably still about 6 months or so. (I hope!) I've been looking around here and there getting ideas, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Especially since I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to audio. I was dead set on building a set of full size "Statements", but I'm having second thoughts. My front wall will be treated with 1" linacoustic, will this interfere with the open mid design of the statements? I don't have quite the recommended 18" behind the speaker and the wall. I can manage about 12" with the size of the statements. I'd like to know if the statements are still ok? or any other recommendations. I had also looked into the Clearwave 4TSE and the Pi 4s. (a bit over budget) Maybe all 3 of them are overkill for the size room I have. I'd prefer something that isn't too difficult to build. Looks don't matter since they will be painted flat back behind my screen wall.

Also a side note...according to the online hearing tests I can't hear over 10K hertz...Unbelievable!? I'm only 30!

Here's the info:

Budget: $1200 - $1500 for all 3

Purpose: 80% movies / 20% music

Room: 27' x 11' x 7' sealed up. AT screen with about 30-32" behind it. Walls with all be treated with linacoustic up to ear height.

Listening position: Row 1-10ft, Row 2-17ft.

Power: Onkyo TX-NR3007 "140 watts" x 9 (still to be purchased)

Subwoofer: 18" Maelstrom X in a Easy Button Max tuned to ~12htz powered by an EP2500. I plan on building a second one. (or maybe picking up one Danley DTS-10 kit)

Surround: haven't bought any yet, but am leaning towards 4 Emotiva ERD-1

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs is the fourth sticky at the beginning of this forum.
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

This is a short room. But small? No way.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• FroDaddy
        • Mar 2006

Been looking at this thread to see if anyone would reply, but I'll offer my opinions.

I'm skeptical if the Statements would be the best choice due to the acoustic treatment and having a limited space for them. The Statements need room to breathe not only to the rear but around them as well. Another DIY design you can consider are the Khanspires. You could build a trio of them for LCR. I would also recommend building DIY surrounds to match the front LCR you build, and the Khanspires have such a design.

Your room size is not small, so the size of speakers you're considering (Statements and the Clearwave 4TSE) is right on the money. However, your budget is not and you'll want to increase that. The receiver you're considering is rated for 140w, 8ohm, 2 channels driven so this receiver doesn't seem adequate for the kind of speaker you should build for your room size.

So in summary your room size dictates a large speaker, but your amp choice and budget doesn't reflect this.

Comment

• Ortheum
          • Aug 2009

I had looked at the khanspires as well, and they look like a great option. As far as the In-Khan-Neatos for surrounds, can the rears be mounted horizontally?

My overall budget is pretty small (hence taking about 3 years+ to build the room) I have some old yamaha speaker that I will use in the beginning, but would like to upgrade as soon as budget allows. I've thought of eventually picking up an Emotiva XPA-3 to run my mains.

Comment

• FroDaddy
            • Mar 2006

Most speakers require a crossover change to be mounted horizontally, so most likely that will be the same for the In-Khan-Neatos. Either ---k--- or CJD could answer that if it's not in the Missions Accomplished thread.

Your original post said 6 months, so if you're looking at 3 years then many things will change by then (including inflation!). The landscape of receivers will be different by then, while amplifier offerings change a bit slower. It's best to have an idea of power and decide on a particular model closer to purchase. The XPA-3 has been around for a while and is a good amp, but I'd wager Emotiva would have a different amp lineup in 3 years.

Something to think about with mismatched amplifiers, sometimes from the same manufacturer, is your gain structure difference. Basically say your surrounds are powered from the receiver and you turn the dial up +3db, that doesn't necessarily mean your fronts on the XPA-3 will increase by +3db. Some people don't worry about this while others do, so I'd say it's best to do your own research to determine if this is important to you.

Good luck

Comment

• Ortheum
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by FroDaddy
              Most speakers require a crossover change to be mounted horizontally, so most likely that will be the same for the In-Khan-Neatos. Either ---k--- or CJD could answer that if it's not in the Missions Accomplished thread.

Your original post said 6 months, so if you're looking at 3 years then many things will change by then (including inflation!). The landscape of receivers will be different by then, while amplifier offerings change a bit slower. It's best to have an idea of power and decide on a particular model closer to purchase. The XPA-3 has been around for a while and is a good amp, but I'd wager Emotiva would have a different amp lineup in 3 years.

Something to think about with mismatched amplifiers, sometimes from the same manufacturer, is your gain structure difference. Basically say your surrounds are powered from the receiver and you turn the dial up +3db, that doesn't necessarily mean your fronts on the XPA-3 will increase by +3db. Some people don't worry about this while others do, so I'd say it's best to do your own research to determine if this is important to you.

Good luck

I didn't explain my timeline very well. I'm a little over 2 years into my build that I figured would take about 3 years. I have roughly 6 months left until the room is up and running. After that is done is when I'll seriously look at building new mains.

Thanks for all the advise and info.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"