X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

A different type of statement

Well I have all the the drivers and crossover stuff needed to build the full sized statements and I'm starting to second guess myself. I got some bad news about a possible buy on a house and it looks as though I may be going back to an apartment. I don't know if I will have a space big enough for the full statements. I really like the new design using the monitor in the transmission line. Will there be any design like that in the near future using the 8 and not the 7. I really want to use the drivers I have. Plus it would leave me enough drivers to build the frodaddy center. Or possibly a tmww like the statement minis using the 8. Or should I stick with the full size and lug them around and use them in undersized rooms?

Dan
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

After thinking about it for a bit I think I would rather have a tmw with the rs225 in a TL. Please make it happen!

Dan

Comment

• BeerParty
      • Oct 2008

You will need almost the same amount of space in your room for the Monitors as you will for the full sized Statements. Even with the near wall crossover version (which lets you move the back of the cab to ~12 inches from the wall as opposed to ~18 inches) you still need to be about 8 feet from the front baffles of the Monitors just like the full sized Statements.

If you goal is the smaller cabinets, you'll want to get the smaller woofer. Otherwise you'll have to redesign the cabinet (bigger) and the crossover.
      Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
      My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• saabracer23
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by BeerParty
        You will need almost the same amount of space in your room for the Monitors as you will for the full sized Statements. Even with the near wall crossover version (which lets you move the back of the cab to ~12 inches from the wall as opposed to ~18 inches) you still need to be about 8 feet from the front baffles of the Monitors just like the full sized Statements.

If you goal is the smaller cabinets, you'll want to get the smaller woofer. Otherwise you'll have to redesign the cabinet (bigger) and the crossover.
        Oh for some reason I thought the monitors were better suited for smaller rooms. It would be nice to make smaller cabinets (I do not want to build sealed statements) incase I have to haul up three flights of stairs. Plus in an apartment I wouldn't be able to play them that loud. I understand they will need a larger cabinet and different crossover. I was hoping Curt might have thought about a TL for the rs225 as I think alot of people would be interested in it. Too bad there is only one statement design using the rs225. I'll let the crossover designing be left to the pros. I was planing on a center as well and this would leave me enough drivers. If it isn't in the cards then oh well I guess.

Dan

Comment

• rvsixer
          • Sep 2008

10ft for monitors gave me a little scare, as they are on my build "short list" (my listening distance is 6-8ft). I just searched here at htguide, and the recommended minimum distances I saw referenced by the designer(s) are Monitors=~6ft, Mini's=~8ft, Statements=~10ft.
          Last edited by rvsixer; 17 January 2011, 19:53 Monday.

Comment

• saabracer23
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rvsixer
            10ft for monitors gave me a little scare, as they are on my build "short list" (my listening distance is 6-8ft). I just searched here at htguide, and the recommended minimum distances I saw referenced by the designer(s) are Monitors=6ft, Mini's=8ft, Statements=10ft.
            Thanks for that, I thought I remembered Curt suggesting the monitors to someone because of the listening distance. I don't even know what size room I'll have but I know the most apartment around here don't have large living rooms. Plus I think my wife would be happier with smaller towers. I think the rs225 3 way tower would be popular because it would be a good in-between the monitors and minis, as it would perform closely with the minis but be cheaper. All in all I will not sell my drivers as that would be flushing money down the toilet, in the end I'll just build the full sized statements and do what I can if nothing else will work, boo hoo.

Dan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by saabracer23
              Thanks for that, I thought I remembered Curt suggesting the monitors to someone because of the listening distance. I don't even know what size room I'll have but I know the most apartment around here don't have large living rooms. Plus I think my wife would be happier with smaller towers. I think the rs225 3 way tower would be popular because it would be a good in-between the monitors and minis, as it would perform closely with the minis but be cheaper. All in all I will not sell my drivers as that would be flushing money down the toilet, in the end I'll just build the full sized statements and do what I can if nothing else will work, boo hoo.

Dan
              Hi Dan,

There won't be anymore Statements variations. The Full sized Statements, Mini's and Monitors will fill almost any ones needs. Rearranging drivers, doing a WMT with RS225's etc. won't improve performance.

However, if you really want one, check out the RS 3-way thread that is a WWMT conventional speaker design with a variety of crossovers available. It uses RS225's, RS150's and either a Seas H1212 or PE RS28a tweeter. There's also a WTM version that I have complete build info on that was designed by Dennis Murphy.

It's a very nice speaker that sounds excellent.

Jim

Comment

• saabracer23
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                Hi Dan,

There won't be anymore Statements variations. The Full sized Statements, Mini's and Monitors will fill almost any ones needs. Rearranging drivers, doing a WMT with RS225's etc. won't improve performance.

However, if you really want one, check out the RS 3-way thread that is a WWMT conventional speaker design with a variety of crossovers available. It uses RS225's, RS150's and either a Seas H1212 or PE RS28a tweeter. There's also a WTM version that I have complete build info on that was designed by Dennis Murphy.

It's a very nice speaker that sounds excellent.

Jim
                Thanks for the reply Jim, I assume the wtm you speak of uses Dayton rs drivers? Like I said I already have the statement drivers and don't really want to buy other drivers. I guess I'll continue on with the full size and won't rent a place unless it has a big enough room!!!

Thanks all
                Dan

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"