X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meb46
    • Jul 2010

HiVi SP10 Subwoofer Enclosures

Hello all,

I am interested in knowing anyones success with the HiVi SP10 Subwoofers, thoughts, enclosures etc. I have 4 of these and am currently researching the best enclosure for these. I see the Sunfire Mark IV uses the same woofer, or similar, and the cabinet is very basic... never heard one so currently researching a little blind.

I have read of a couple of enclosures made for these, but nothing yet has taken my fancy. From reading it sounds like they are best suited to a sealed small volume enclosure, possibly with the addition of a passive radiator?

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome...
  • NickS
    • Sep 2008

Do-It-Yourself (DIY) subwoofer project using the 10 inch HiVi SP10 subwoofer in a ported (bass reflex) enclosure.
    Last edited by theSven; 06 December 2023, 21:09 Wednesday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

Yeah, I was really impressed with that sub (as is the guy I built it for. He can't stop raving about it).

It is the driver from the Sunfire subs; designed for small boxes with a PR or a long vent--I, wanting to be creative with PVC, went for the latter. It only needs 1-1.5 cu ft (PR or vented) and a lot of wattage (300-500), and it can do 20 Hz anechoic. :E

My personal opinion and analysis of that design at diyaudioprojects.com is to skip that design. He tuned the enclosure way too high, causing a large hump in the FR, which he then had to flatten out by stuffing it completely--in turn, losing almost the whole bottom octave of beautiful bass extension.

I can't believe you have 4 of them. Need someone to take one off you hands? :B
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• meb46
        • Jul 2010

Thanks for the feedback...

Just so I understand correctly, you're suggesting a 1 - 1.5 cu.ft either sealed or ported (tuned to around 25Hz)? If I plot this, I get a sharp theoretical roll-off around 23Hz... Tuning it any lower I get a good lower extension but its under -3db from about 30Hz. I was wanting to get this fairly flat down to 20Hz if possible. Modelling, the flatest response I can get looks like 1.77 Cu. Ft. ported and tuned to 24Hz. Size isnt really an issue, but am I just chasing theoreticals, or am I better to just compromise a few Hz and settle for smaller size? Decisions decisions... it may all be irrelevant, my current speaker project is a 4-way with 4x 10" drivers per side, so I may not even need the subs. Yet to finish and test these properly yet

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by meb46
          Modelling, the flatest response I can get looks like 1.77 Cu. Ft. ported and tuned to 24Hz. Size isnt really an issue, but am I just chasing theoreticals, or am I better to just compromise a few Hz and settle for smaller size?
          That size sounds about right for a plate amp with no EQ or boost. I used the BASH 300, which has built-in EQ (you change it by swapping resistors). In the stock mode, it had just the right boost at the right place--I forget where exactly--so that I could make the enclosure smaller (33 Liters) and still get flat to 20 Hz. It doesn't take a lot of EQ mind you; it's not like a Linkwitz Transform or anything, just 2 dB in the right place, and you can use it to extend the flat response in a smaller box.

Most plate amps over 250 watts seem to have some sort of adjustable boost, so you might want to plug the driver into Jeff Bagby's Woofer Box and Circuit Designer and use the program's EQ function to match up to the amp you might use--if applicable. That's how I did it.

But don't seal it! That's so :Z
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"