X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mx2
    • Mar 2009

My RBR Build! (Help with screws size!)

I'm a newbie building the sealed version of the RBRs. I have the MDF cut to size and now I'm ready to work on the baffles. (Making the holes, recesses and all).

Update: 29 Sept 2010
    Okay, I finally made some progress this week after putting it off when other priorities came up and my amplifier build blew up. It went up in smoke after I put it inside the box even though it worked fine outside of it. :cry: (I am still perplexed unless I unknowingly shorted something... Anyways enough rambling. On my RBR, I'm now done making the driver holes and recesses. Next up is chamfering and screw holes. The tweeter is flipped in the pic because I didn't drill the holes for the tabs yet :P

Now to seek some advice...if any of you experienced builders could help this newbie ops: I would very much appreciate it

I don't have many pictures so far..but I promise more later

I chose to veneer first before making the holes as I don't have a rabbet bit. It did leave some light marks on the surface, but gentle sanding should take care of it. There are actually a few splits in the veneer. I'm inclined to think I got some thin/poorly made BEM off ebay. :M I've tried every tip I could find online to avoid splitting but nothing's worked so far. Oh well...the holes cover most of it and BEM hides the rest quite well after some similar colored wood filler + sanding. I just hope the other surfaces turn out fine.

Update: 30 Sept 2010
    Chamfers done and holes for the tweeter tabs drilled. I also worked out the screw locations but it's getting too dark outside to drill with accuracy now.

Update: 1 Oct 2010
    Drilled the holes and test mounted the drivers. The woofer fits incredibly nice, but the tweeter is slightly off. Also soldered up the wires to the crossover. Guess what wire I used? I had some extra from a DIY speaker cable

Update: 2 Oct 2010
    All glued up, flush trimmed and sanded. The screws were primed and painted. I had some Krylon Fusion satin black on hand. It's supposed to be "fully chip resistant in 7 days" (*crosses fingers) On a side note, I'm really liking my band clamps. A single one costs $10 and does the work of two regular clamps and it does a broad range of sizes too. Maybe not as much clamping force...but enough for me and it's very cost effective. :T

Last edited by mx2; 02 October 2010, 22:31 Saturday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The PDF for the driver shows the hole size, not too hard to decide on the appropriate size screw armed with that knowledge.

One can always put a dab of black paint on a chrome screw to change the color of the head

Never heard of the cotton stuff so can't comment about it.

No pictures = no project....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

http://mcmaster.com for bolts, they have a superb selection of sizes and finishes.

And yeah, pics please! :P

How long have you had your RBR kit lying around?
      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• mx2
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
        The PDF for the driver shows the hole size, not too hard to decide on the appropriate size screw armed with that knowledge.

One can always put a dab of black paint on a chrome screw to change the color of the head

Never heard of the cotton stuff so can't comment about it.

No pictures = no project....
        Hrmm...it seems like #8 will fit and #10 will be real tight. I'm going to try the 8 first. If the head is still too small for my liking, I'll just throw a hissy fit and get the 10s. :lol:

I'm working on the pictures but I can't seem to find a clean corner in the messy garage. I'm too embarrassed of the mess I made ops:...gotta bring it inside for pics :P

Comment

• mx2
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
          http://mcmaster.com for bolts, they have a superb selection of sizes and finishes.

And yeah, pics please! :P

How long have you had your RBR kit lying around?
          TY for the link, I'm in Canada though and their site says they'll review international orders before accepting them, so I'm thinking ebay unless I can't find the length I need. :twisted:

I've had my RBR kit since ages ago, probably October of last year?
          I didn't have any time until the summer. (Just finished my undergrad and I'm spending the summer building these toys as a "vacation" before looking for a full-time job.

I'm also building a TA3020 Tripath amplifier, which I DO have pictures of. To appease you two for now...

The sides are Oak with one coat of tung oil after a few coats of a home-made stain. (vinegar/steel wool/tea) I'll probably do a coat or two of amber shellac followed by wipe on poly. The top is bird's eye maple with two coats of BLO + light sanding. I still have to cut the holes for ventilation once all the parts are fixed. Then I'll likely throw on a coat of clear shellac + wipe on poly

Comment

• mx2
            • Mar 2009

Updated - See first post

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

Very nice but I fear you may have gone a bit overboard with stuffing. Wait on others' opinions, though.

Love the baffles - very pretty.
              -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah if it were me I might try and peel 2-3" off that.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Looking real good on the cabinets. I used #8 screws on my pair and it worked fine.

Jed

Comment

• evilskillit
                    • Oct 2008

I used the same stuff to line my cabinets, close to fiberglass in sound damping quality, but cheaper and without the itchies. I didn't bring it right up to the back of the woofer tho as you might choke it. I'd go with nothing, or something thinner or a thinner layer closer to the woofer basket.

Comment

• mx2
                      • Mar 2009

Thanks for the replies guys. :T

Originally posted by evilskillit
                      I used the same stuff to line my cabinets, close to fiberglass in sound damping quality, but cheaper and without the itchies. I didn't bring it right up to the back of the woofer tho as you might choke it. I'd go with nothing, or something thinner or a thinner layer closer to the woofer basket
                      Good to see I'm not the only one :B It definitely gets dusty though.
                      I actually got them for room treatments, but I have so much left over.

Anyways, I ended up tearing out a bit of the lining in the front chamber especially near the woofer. I looked at Madisound's site. It seems they include 0.5lb of Acousta-Stuf, which is quite a bit. So I decided to leave the rear chamber alone and just use less stuffing I'm thinking 0.25lb for both speakers instead of 0.5. I hope it won't sound too "dead and lifeless".

I found some #10 screws that are perfect, but I'll need to spray paint it black.

Comment

• BeerParty
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mx2
                        I found some #10 screws that are perfect, but I'll need to spray paint it black.
                        You can try it, but I'll bet the paint gets scratched up when you install the screws. If you want your screws black (and didn't buy black ones to begin with), I would suggest you get a little bottle of black paint from the craft store and just put a drop of paint on the screw heads after installing them.
                        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• ripcard
                          • Sep 2008

Nice work so far mx2. Those baffles will look great. Where in Canada are you?
                          My CLD Dynamic 2T, 2CC, 1S and RBR builds. My CSS Quartet 15 build.

Comment

• mx2
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BeerParty
                            You can try it, but I'll bet the paint gets scratched up when you install the screws. If you want your screws black (and didn't buy black ones to begin with), I would suggest you get a little bottle of black paint from the craft store and just put a drop of paint on the screw heads after installing them.
                            I really hope priming + spray paint would do the trick.
                            But if it fails, what paint do you recommend? Any specific choices/brands?

Originally posted by ripcard
                            Nice work so far mx2. Those baffles will look great. Where in Canada are you?
                            Thanks ripcard. I'm crossing my fingers. I would have liked to redo certain things and perhaps in a different order...this is the first time I'm building a speaker, and it is my first woodworking project of this scale. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area.

Comment

• BeerParty
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mx2
                              I really hope priming + spray paint would do the trick.
                              But if it fails, what paint do you recommend? Any specific choices/brands?
                              I can't recommend a specific brand, I used some I had available. Just use a small brush to touch up the scratches.
                              Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                              My AviaTrix Build

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"