X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

Modula MT MLTL build

I recently completed a pair of Modula MTs that I intend to be the mains in an HT system (good excuse to build more speakers ). Now, the Modula MTs are, perhaps, a bit old school at this point, so I don't plan to go into a lot of detail about the build. The only somewhat unique thing about these is that they are a MLTL design and, I have to say, the bass is mighty fine. I've not heard a ported pair, so I have no idea if these are any better. It was just something I wanted to try and I'm glad I did. If there's interest, I'll post the details from the MathCad files. It ends up having an F3 around 40 hz per the design and that sounds about right.

I used appliance epoxy paint for the base and baffles and cherry veneer finished with varnish, poly, and oil mix for the rest. It was my first attempt at the paint and at veneering. They turned out OK as long as you don't look too closely. I had problems with little splatters of the paint in some areas and also places where the veneer bubbled despite several attempts to iron it down. But they'll be good enough for the HT. Sonically, they are really pretty great - much more than I probably need for my HT. I could be quite happy with them as my music speakers, only missing that bottom octave and that only on occasion.

My main reason for posting is to say thanks to Jon for the excellent design and to Martin for the MLTL design tool!

Here are a few pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4803551160_78fc9a48eb.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	952718

Name:	4803551246_930633ea99.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	952717
    Last edited by theSven; 28 April 2024, 08:52 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Paul K.
    • Jul 2008

I'd sure be interested in seeing some of the info from your modeling with Martin's worksheet. I'd particularly like to see the primary data you inputted for the midwoofer and cabinent dimensions, driver location, port dimensions and locations and stuffing info, then a few of the more important performance graphs that resulted from the modeling.
    Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice job... :T

If you have info for the TL build perhaps you could post it?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'm there with you... +1 to Paul's request. believe it or not, I've been thinking about an MT XE TL, probably using a 4 ohm driver to get the sensitivity up in the woofer. Something using premium parts, probably the Jantzen waveguides, tweeter and mid woofer still up in the air. I've also been considering a full blown TL (I swore off those in the mid 70's, but never say never...

I guess I should just find some free time and get out my MLK MathCAD sheets I bought and paid for, and go to work! Maybe even a 2.5 way...

Thanks for posting about this, Paul.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
          • Jul 2008

You're welcome, Jon. I am either not talented enough or don't have the interest in designing proper crossovers, but I sure do like to design TLs and build cabinets. What versions of Martin's MathCad-based worksheets do you have, just out of curiosity? Curt Campbell did a 3-way, tapered TL for a single RS180-4 (Statement TL) awhile back and I did a 3-way ML-TL about a year ago also for a single RS180-4, both to end up with a higher sensitivity than the norm.
          Paul

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          I'm there with you... +1 to Paul's request. believe it or not, I've been thinking about an MT XE TL, probably using a 4 ohm driver to get the sensitivity up in the woofer. Something using premium parts, probably the Jantzen waveguides, tweeter and mid woofer still up in the air. I've also been considering a full blown TL (I swore off those in the mid 70's, but never say never...

I guess I should just find some free time and get out my MLK MathCAD sheets I bought and paid for, and go to work! Maybe even a 2.5 way...

Thanks for posting about this, Paul.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

MLK sheets

I signed up last year for Martin's new support model, so as far as I know, I have his most recent sheets on TL topics- I'll check and get back to you, they're on my boot camp partition, and I have a new update to MathCAD coming in soon.

I've got his BIB_Corner wroksheet, the MLTL Worksheet, the TL_Closed End Corner worksheet, the TL_ML Corner sheet, the TL open end sheet, the TL Sections sheet, and the Uframe Corner- this is most of his 2009 "release".

What I haven't had is time to dive into these the way I would like, and I got caught up in my funny flux capacitor sealed alignment, too (for making SMALLER speakers!). The latter seems to be a good way to take something that would other wise be ginormous (like two 10" SS woofers) and pare it down to size. OTOH, taking a smaller system and extending it's range has some appeal, I'm obviously thinking in terms of extending the Modula MT XE concept. Just to see how good we can get while still keeping the fundamental simplicity of a two way...

I know, I can hear MarkK chiming in any minute, "Not another 6-1/2" two way!!"

If the Ardent upgrade with the aluminum cone SS works out, I may commit to getting and testing some 18WU/8741T's, though.
            Last edited by JonMarsh; 18 July 2010, 15:44 Sunday. Reason: Updated info
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
              • Jul 2008

Sounds like you got Martin's "latest and greatest". I have those, too, but I tend to use the previous version because they're more familiar. Most of the differences are in Part 2 where you can take into account room boundaries, which I pretty much ignore anyway for several reasons.
              Paul

I signed up last year for Martin's new support model, so as far as I know, I have his most recent sheets on TL topics- I'll check and get back to you, they're on my boot camp partition, and I have a new update to MathCAD coming in soon.

I've got his BIB_Corner wroksheet, the MLTL Worksheet, the TL_Closed End Corner worksheet, the TL_ML Corner sheet, the TL open end sheet, the TL Sections sheet, and the Uframe Corner- this is most of his 2009 "release".

What I haven't had is time to dive into these the way I would like, and I got caught up in my funny flux capacitor sealed alignment, too (for making SMALLER speakers!). The latter seems to be a good way to take something that would other wise be ginormous (like two 10" SS woofers) and pare it down to size. OTOH, taking a smaller system and extending it's range has some appeal, I'm obviously thinking in terms of extending the Modula MT XE concept. Just to see how good we can get while still keeping the fundamental simplicity of a two way...

I know, I can hear MarkK chiming in any minute, "Not another 6-1/2" two way!!"

If the Ardent upgrade with the aluminum cone SS works out, I may commit to getting and testing some 18WU/8741T's, though.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                • May 2004

Attached are some of the MathCad parameters and the resulting response curve. If more is of interest, let me know and I'll grab it out of the model.

Name:	Module MT Short MLTL Parameters.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	855051

Name:	Module MT Short MLTL Response.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	855052
                Last edited by theSven; 28 April 2024, 08:53 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Paul K.
                  • Jul 2008

The system response looks very good with an F3 in the upper 30s and a nicely flat overall response above the knee. Thanks for sharing.
                  Paul

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                  Attached are some of the MathCad parameters and the resulting response curve. If more is of interest, let me know and I'll grab it out of the model.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                    • May 2004

Thanks, Paul. I'm very happy with the result. I plan to keep them in my main music system while I (finally!) veneer and finish my Trilliums. Then, it's on to the IB subwoofer (an AE IB15 - yes, only 1 to start - it's a small room) and the center (which will be paralleled RS180-8s, an RS52, and the Seas 27TFFNCCG). Lastly, I'll make another set like the mains for the surrounds. At my rate, I'll be done in, oh, perhaps 3 years.

I'm glad they are of some interest.

Comment

• CraigJ
                      • Feb 2006

What I haven't had is time to dive into these the way I would like, and I got caught up in my funny flux capacitor sealed alignment, too (for making SMALLER speakers!). The latter seems to be a good way to take something that would other wise be ginormous (like two 10" SS woofers) and pare it down to size.
                      I know Jon is super busy, so is there anyone who can explain to a first grader what a flux capacitor is and how to implement it using two RS270s? Hard to let the excellent RS270 sell out at the $49 price point without getting a chance to use it in something "smaller".

When I google "flux capacitor", I get the obvious Back To The Future answer...

Thanks,

CraigJ

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                        • Jan 2006

Could be wrong but I vaguely remember that same question being asked and answered somewhere in these forums. Maybe one of the modula threads.

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                          • Jan 2006

See this link:

Just a New Year's Eve teaser- at least the last of the crossover parts (cross fingers) "hit the dock" yesterday, plus those for the TMM version. Well, here I am today doing all kinds of responsible stuff like cleaning and organizing, instead of working on speakers, so the devil in me decided I had to do a small
                          Last edited by theSven; 28 April 2024, 08:53 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• CraigJ
                            • Feb 2006

Thanks for the link Knifeinthesink.

CraigJ

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"