X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhyrraM
    • Dec 2009

Zaph ZA5-series crossovers and Madisound 103B board

I'm going to build a pair of ZA5.3s and a single ZA5.2. All will be for in-wall use. Zaph has the inwall crossovers published, but Madisound does not have a premade in-wall kit or crossover. You can refer to the following thread for background:

EDIT: Build finally started, jump down \/ It's been a month since my last "what to do" post. I figure it's likely time for another. :P This time I've got another month of reading under my belt. ;) I've come up with a plan, but I'd like a little reassurance that I'm not making any obvious or large mistakes.

My first thought was to just buy the regular kits, unsolder what doesn't match and re-populate the crossovers with the proper in-wall component values. Then I noticed this:
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

It appears to be the same circuit board as the premade kits. Is there any reason to use, or not use, this little board for the crossovers? I would plan on just copying what I see in the photos of the premade crossovers, using the in-wall component values.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:18 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • Dean100
    • Jan 2007

Where are you located? You may find someone nearby that could assist you with this. Crossovers are not to difficult to put together for many of us on this board.

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

If he has the schematics published could you not just wire them up yourself? All you need is a little bit of skill at soldering, and just be aware of how your orient your inductors.
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• PhyrraM
        • Dec 2009

I was thinking about the boards mostly for asthetics and tidyness. I could certainly wire up the crossovers either raw or on a piece of pegboard or such.

I have a good grasp on how to construct the crossovers from the diagrams, but I'm still trying to figure out what the "real" differences are between all the different types of capaciters, resistors, and inductors are. Between Parts Express and Madisound there are seemingly hundreds of choices and price-points.

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

I use 1% Dayton caps for the tweets, and standard Dayton caps for the rest, Iron
          Core inductors only, Mills for the resistors or the daytons (non inductive)are fine. You can spend more money if you like but I don't...
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"