X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djn04
    • Dec 2008

Measuring my ZRT's

So I bought a measurement mic, a DBX, and a Blue Icicle mic pre and ran them through Fuzzmeasure.

Here are the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4260302798_218b0d7904_o.png
Views:	6
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	952545

They seem pretty similar to Zaph's measurements except for the dip around 100hz

Any ideas what would cause this? Could it be the room, differences in measurement technique or something else?

Also my cabinet design is slightly different. I used the Madisound baffles but my cabinets are 10" wide not the 9" called for in the design.

Name:	4022766440_14d2a3ba76.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	952546
    Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 10:24 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What was the gating length you used and the window type? This looks rather smoothed- which is OK for understanding the general trends.

Normally in room measurements with gate over 4-5 msec will certainly show effects from room acoustics, including floor bounce, wall bounce, etc. The upper end rise is indicative of uncontrolled high frequency diffraction effects - including the behavior of the 6620 and similar SS models (I know, I have some)
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• djn04
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      What was the gating length you used and the window type? This looks rather smoothed- which is OK for understanding the general trends.

Normally in room measurements with gate over 4-5 msec will certainly show effects from room acoustics, including floor bounce, wall bounce, etc. The upper end rise is indicative of uncontrolled high frequency diffraction effects - including the behavior of the 6620 and similar SS models (I know, I have some)
      I think this graph was a 1000ms sweep or it might have been 100ms. Regardless of length, I tried from 10-1000ms, I got the same dip in the graph. I'm not sure what you mean by window type but the frequency was the default from 1hz-Nyquist (I have no idea what Nyquist means). The graph has 1/3 octave smoothing, which is the highest setting. The lower settings obviously had less smoothing but the same dip was present.

I'm new to the measuring thing so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at but I do appreciate the help everyone here provides.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

There is excessive smoothing - something like 1/6th or even 1/8th would be better.

As it stands, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. A speaker that measures +/-2dB is great in my book. The peak over 10Khz could be a mic calibration issue. Which mic are you using and is it calibrated?

A wider cabinet will change baffle step (lower it). This means the as built speaker will have a little more baffle step compensation than designed for. The change isn't hugely significant and shouldn't account for the 100Hz area.

I'd measure your room and distance from speaker to the boundaries. Convert this to a frequency measurement and see if any two line up.

Alternatively, move your speakers around in all planes (x,y and z), remeasuring to see what changes to highlight the contribution (placement and boundary effects, floor bounce etc..). Even closing doors to the room may have an effect (room pressure effects).
        Last edited by Dave Bullet; 10 January 2010, 05:10 Sunday. Reason: Nothing material

Comment

• djn04
          • Dec 2008

One other thought I had was whether it could be a result of not enough stuffing in the bottom of the enclosure. John calls for heavy stuffing at the bottom of the enclosure to reduce the lengthwise pressure node at 140Hz.

Name:	ZRT-2way-inbox-impedance-medstuffing-bot.gif
Views:	5
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	952547

The above is John's measurement without enough stuffing.

My graph seems to have the the bump starting at around 140hz but it continues past the point in John's graph. I thought I put a good amount of stuffing in the bottom. Anymore and I would really be packing it in there.

Just a thought?
          Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 10:26 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• evilskillit
            • Oct 2008

That measurement looks pretty good. Tho changing the baffle width by a whole inch is a pretty big no-no. It looks like you got away with it without any problems but it could attribute to deviations between your design and his.

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Isn't it a floor bounce issue?

Also, I noticed your mic isn't calibrated -the top end is far too hot.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"