X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodworker_Jon
    • Dec 2009

Where to begin?

I have been lurking for a couple of years reading these and other forums and other sites such as Linkwitz's, trying to learn as much as possible about designing and building speakers before venturing into my own project(s). I have read (but can say that I did not completely understand) the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and have read through many, many project pages but still have a serious lack of understanding how everything ties together in the design process. What most concerns me and has kept me from embarking on my own project is that so many of the designs from you experienced builders look good on paper and in computer modeling and then fail to perform in some fashion or another (per your own evaluation reports) once the build is complete.

I understand that speaker design is part science, part art, part black magic, and mostly experience that comes from trial and error. I am an accomplished woodworker, an audiophile and a perfectionist, so I have been hesitant to just jump in. Well, I am finally tired of putting it off (since my living room has been devoid of speakers for the last three years) and am ready to get started.

I am asking for advice on where I should start with my first project. I would like to undertake an affordable mini monitor type project on. My goal is to find a foolproof and proven project that would allow me a little artistic freedom without the too much concern for sacrificing sound quality. Ultimately, if the minis work out, I might elect to build a 5.1 system around them so it might be nice if this project allowed for that growth potential from the beginning.

Finally, I am very interested in bi/dipole design ideologies and want to work toward those learning more about that in the longterm.

Thanks in advance for any and all input on this thread.
    He who dies with the most tools wins.
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Hi Jon,

Welcome to htguide. Have a look at the designs compiled in this helpful thread

Tell us your budget. Then I'm sure someone (or many people) will be able to provide some guidance. It's a good crowd here.

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
      • Dec 2009

Thanks for the quick reply Jon (nice name too, I might add)!

I have been reviewing that very thread for the past couple of days and boy am I impressed and overwhelmed with the content. Some of the designs on the tread which peaked my interest were the Noobster, The Bose Buster, The Lineup Series, The Statement Monitors and others.

My budget is somewhat flexible although since this is my first project I would like to stay on the lower end, perhaps $150 (drivers only per two cabinets) or so. I would consider going higher if the project looked promising but would prefer to stay in this low end.

Just to add a little more info to the mix, I am a fan of smooth, articulate highs and tight midbass. I am a believer in the concept of supplementing my mains with a powered sub leaving the low end to a more well suited device. For the mains, I am looking for a design that is flat down to about 80 Hz or so yet which is suitable for use in a 15' x 22' living room.

Thanks,
      Jon

Comment

• JonW
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Hi Jon,

That sounds like a good list of candidate projects. And you're in luck because the designers of each of those post here. Which is true of most of the designs. So you can ask the designers or other people who have built them your questions. I've only heard one of those designs so I can't offer any comparisons but maybe others could. Maybe read all you can about each design. Then come up with some more questions and start asking. Good luck. :T

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
          • Oct 2009

Statement Monitors

Have Heard BeerParty's Statement Monitors. They sounded really good. They are a bit large for monitors. The bottom end was so good I preferred them without a subwoofer for music. They are far from your $150 mark though. The Noobsters are closer to your $150 mark.
          "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

There might be some stuff here you might like: :W

DIY gives music lovers and audiophiles the ultimate power. First of all, DIY speakers use the same parts, building materials (usually), and design techniques of HiFi speakers in the 4 and 5-figure range. This means you can have that "rich" sound at a fraction of the retail cost. Second, by
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
              • Oct 2009

Agree with Undefinition-Very good site

I just recommended "The Girl from Ipanema" to another fellow. He wanted to do a 5.1 system. I think I costed the pair out at $160 which would be right in your price range using quality drivers and an already tested crossover design. Excellent first project.
              -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
                • Dec 2009

Haha, your timing is right on mark Undefinition and ClosetGeek! I was just looking at "The Girl" right before I came back to check on the progress of this thread. I was particularly interested in Paul's comments regarding the articulation and soundstage that this design yielded. I have more reading to do but at this moment I am thinking that the two designs currently rising highest on my list of possible choices are the Noobster and the Girl from Ipanema.

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
                  • Dec 2009

Man there are so many good designs to choose from that it was a hard choice. I decided to build the Girl from Ipanema! I just finished placing my orders with PE (I used the banner at the top of the page to link to PE for order placement :T ) and Madisound. I did not buy the most expensive caps, I went with the "Dayton Premium" caps. I chose the Jantzen 15 ga coils and 12W resistor. I assume these parts will be suitable for this project.

I will document the project and update you guys in a new thread. Already ready to get started.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                    • Sep 2009

Cool, good luck on the project, and keep us posted during the build! You should be very happy with those speakers.

Oh, and another welcome to HTGuide!
                    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• jquin
                      • Dec 2006

I started with the Modula MT and then worked up to the M8ta's.
                      Definitely choose something from the Mission accomplished section unless you are desiring to make speaker design your main hobby for the next 10 years.
                      It would take a least that to match some of the designs on this site.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                        • Oct 2009

Congratulations on your entry into DIY Audio

Keep us posted on your progress(we like pictures, pictures are good). If you need any help don't be afraid to ask. I am excited to see them.
                        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• BeerParty
                          • Oct 2008

If you put your location in your profile, you may find that there are people nearby that would be willing to help out. You might even be able to get to preview some of the designs you are interested in.
                          Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                          My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
                            • Dec 2009

Good idea BeerParty I will do that now. . . and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I am really excited, have been wanting to do this for many, many years and am thrilled to finally jump in. Pictures you shall get SciFiGeek.

I am sure that I will be calling on your skills as I get into voicing if not before. I understand the electrical/ electronic principles much more than the acoustic ones. Sometimes I read posts from you guys and realize how little I really understand about the interaction between the drivers, the cabinets and the crossover (and room interactions for that matter). I am excited to get started. Now where is that FedEx truck?

Comment

• jliedeka
                              • Nov 2008

I don't know if this will help. I decided to jump in with 3 Natalie Ps and a pair of Modula MTs for my HT system. I chose to design my own cabinets and my choices were a bit ambitious for my woodworking skills. (But that's how I get better, forcing myself to solve trickier problems. )

While I don't regret my choice, I'm going to have an excellent system when I finish, I now think one of the TriTrix variations would have been a better first build. They use inexpensive drivers and crossovers and there's plenty of room to improve on the box design for the sealed/ported versions. IIRC, the posted box designs don't use much in the way of bracing. The TriTrix speakers are also reputed to sound really good.

Jim

Comment

• CupCak3
                                • Oct 2007

I think Jim gives some good advice. I went waaay overboard on my first build. 5.1 system with fullsize statements, two 15" sub boxes, statement CC and R44 for rears. I had not build anything out of wood since I was in 4H many years ago... (i'm now married if that tells you anything) I'm finally buying veneer... you can find my initial build thread around. As long as you have some drive and know what you're doing, you should be good :T

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
                                  • Dec 2009

Both the Nats and the TriTrix were options that I considered. In the end it was the small cabinets (7L) and simple crossover design that finally sold me on the Girl from Ipanema as my first project. I figure that if I completely copy Paul's design then I can't go wrong (based upon his listening findings) If I want to play around with the design a little then at least I am starting with a simple design that is known to work to begin with. Worst case scenarios are that I can just revert to his plans and/or just use them in the workshop because of the small size and I need a set of speakers there anyway.

My woodworking skills are better than the typical weekend mechanic having made custom furniture for several years of my life so I am not too worked up about that. I am certain that I will quickly have to start building up a new skill set however when I start voicing the girls.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"