X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazyjpeters
    • Dec 2008

Effect of baffle edge treatment

Perhaps some of the crossover gurus can answer this for me:

The crossovers here are designed with a certain baffle width, and (I think) a specific edge treatment to that baffle.

What effect does the roundover, or the elimination thereof, have on the sound of the enclosure?

What effect would changing a roundover to a chamfer have?

What effect does the size of radius or the size of chamfer have?
  • kirknelson
    • Sep 2006

K did a nice study on the effects of different round overs on his Khanspires. They are in the first post of his design thread.

I haven't seen a comparison of chamfer to round over but I think round over is preferred for better dispersion properties, however, the difference is not huge (I'm pretty noob here myself so I may be wrong).
    Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 11:57 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• crazyjpeters
      • Dec 2008

Thanks, that's good to know! I don't know if my battered ears will hear a difference, but it looks pretty...

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

Google "baffle diffraction simulator" - a freeware spreadsheet from pvconsortium (?). Download and play to see the effects.

There is also "the edge" for simulation.

Can't remember which ones support chamfer vs. roundover vs. facet etc...

Comment

• dlr
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
          Google "baffle diffraction simulator" - a freeware spreadsheet from pvconsortium (?). Download and play to see the effects.

There is also "the edge" for simulation.

Can't remember which ones support chamfer vs. roundover vs. facet etc...
          It's at the FRD Consortium . The BDS and several others require MS Excel. The BDS does support the different edges and sizes and will output files for use in other software.

Dave
          Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"