small but great sounding speakers to go with statements center?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deucelee
    • Nov 2008

small but great sounding speakers to go with statements center?

hey guys,

i was thinking about Jed's R44's for fronts, R4's for rears and Jed's modified sealed WMTMW statements for the center for my HT set up...I'd be hanging the R44's and R4's from the side walls so little kids can't touch them...

the room is a 15x24 and i'll be using a projector with a 200 inch screen...

i was thinking about statements but i'd hate to have kids mess around with it, i got a youngin and all of my friends that come over have them...not only that, but they won't fit in well since they'll be too close to the walls...

does anyone see anything rediculously wrong with this?

i'm a newb with HT's but I keep hearing that the center should be your main man...

thanks!
    deuce
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

There's no way an R44 is going to keep up with a WMTMW center. When people buy my Dynamic Series I generally recommend they have the same number of woofers in the mains and CC. The surrounds can be smaller.

Comment

• Delta Dog
      • May 2009

Why not try the Statement Monitors with near wall crossovers?

Comment

• BeerParty
        • Oct 2008

Where are you going to put the center? If you goal is to keep little fingers away from your speakers, you'll definitely want to put the center up high, and the WMTMW Statement center is big. So you should be looking for a small center to match up with Jed's R44's that you can mount above the screen.

Another option is to hide your speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. You can put the screen about 2' from the wall and put the speakers (and subwoofer(s), and acoustic treatments) behind it. Three Statement Monitors with the near wall crossover would work well in this situation. So would three of Jed's R44's. And if you want some real power and you are willing to go 3' from the wall, you could build the Statements or Mini Statements for your L&R and build the standard Statement center.
        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• deucelee
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BeerParty
          Where are you going to put the center? If you goal is to keep little fingers away from your speakers, you'll definitely want to put the center up high, and the WMTMW Statement center is big. So you should be looking for a small center to match up with Jed's R44's that you can mount above the screen.

Another option is to hide your speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. You can put the screen about 2' from the wall and put the speakers (and subwoofer(s), and acoustic treatments) behind it. Three Statement Monitors with the near wall crossover would work well in this situation. So would three of Jed's R44's. And if you want some real power and you are willing to go 3' from the wall, you could build the Statements or Mini Statements for your L&R and build the standard Statement center.
          thanks for your suggestions chris

*sigh* unfortunately i'm still fairly young...I have a 3 yr old and probably a couple more kids in the near future, and like i said, all of my buddies have young kids too...its one thing to tell your kids to not touch something, but man it's the worst when you have to tell your buds...errr

your correct, it's going to go up high, and now that i think about it more, i guess a 100+lb box is not going to be safe hanging from a wall with screws to 2x4's...

Jed, can i use one of your R44's as a center and move the port somewhere else so it looks symmetric?

i'm guessing it's going to be a system that will sound nice and clean but in no way close to the output of a full statements set up :cry:

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by deucelee

Jed, can i use one of your R44's as a center and move the port somewhere else so it looks symmetric?
            :
            Sure. In fact I think I have a dual slot port cabinet someplace in my files. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I think you might be surprised by the sound of an R44 setup with a sub.

Comment

• deucelee
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I think you might be surprised by the sound of an R44 setup with a sub.
                thats what i'd like to hear!

thanks for your efforts guys...Jed, do let me know if you find it...

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

thats what i'd like to hear!

thanks for your efforts guys...Jed, do let me know if you find it...

I drew up a new plan. The port can be made out of 1/2 wood to give you a bit more space around the driver. The rest is 3/4".
                  Attached Files

Comment

• deucelee
                    • Nov 2008

awesome, thanks a bunch Jed...

I think i'm going to explore the idea of having four to eight 8's or something in an array in the front on the ground to give me some of the midbass between 40-100hz...

there will be two 15's, one in each corner in the rear for anything below 40hz...

Comment

• BeerParty
                      • Oct 2008

there will be two 15's, one in each corner in the rear for anything below 40hz...
                      The nice thing about subs is you can face the driver into the corners to keep the little fingers away from them. So you won't have to make grills for them if you don't want to.
                      Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                      My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

I think i'm going to explore the idea of having four to eight 8's or something in an array in the front on the ground to give me some of the midbass between 40-100hz.
                        If you go with 7s it already designed. Dynamic 4T and 4CC. 8s require an absolutely enormous box with that many drivers. I actually had a guy that asked me about doing a Dynamic Series speakers with a quad of 10s once. No need for that if you have a sub for the frequencies below 40hz.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Yeah honestly if you make a sub crossed at around 60hz or so I'd imagine the R44's should work pretty well. Or maybe even cross as high as 100hz to a sub. Not ideal of course but it wouldn't be that horrible. You could of course build the subs as bass bins and put them under the front R44's. Either side or rear firing maybe.

Comment

• deucelee
                            • Nov 2008

BeerParty, that's exactly correct...i'm actually planning on making them down firing...probably a pair of RLP's or IXL 15's...and as for the array of 8's, maybe 8 of these dayton DVC's...

Dougie, that is a possible idea...i guess as a last resort, i could do that...maybe low pass the subs at 60 or 80hz like you've said and just forget the array of 8's idea...

Jed, I've seen your 4CC's on your site and it does look rediculously sick...i was thinking about keeping the mids and tweet up on high, then put the 8's on the ground and put a acoustically transparent screen (like what BeerParty said) in front of them so the little hands can't touch the woofers...could a person break up your 4CC's and do what I just mentioned? just a thought...

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

could a person break up your 4CC's and do what I just mentioned? just a thought...
                              I thought about it and it could work but probably it's not a good idea because the woofers and mids crossover in the midrange. A pair of R44s crossed over at 80hz would integrate better.

Comment

• deucelee
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jed
                                I thought about it and it could work but probably it's not a good idea because the woofers and mids crossover in the midrange. A pair of R44s crossed over at 80hz would integrate better.
                                please confirm the bold quote above...are you suggesting a PAIR of R44's for the center piece?

and once again, a set (2) of R44's for the front sides, and a set of R4's for the rear's...

thanks.

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

No. I meant the system would be a pair of R44s for the mains and the single R44CC that I drew up for you --all HPed at 80hz to your sub.

Comment

• deucelee
                                    • Nov 2008

makes sense...just checking h:

thanks, i appreciate everyone's suggestions, special thanks to Jed...

i already got all the mdf's i need so i guess its off the the planning board...

thanks a bunch everyone!

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

makes sense...just checking h:

thanks, i appreciate everyone's suggestions, special thanks to Jed...

i already got all the mdf's i need so i guess its off the the planning board...

thanks a bunch everyone!

You're very welcome! By the way, Ryan aka Its_Bacon is selling his R44s for a good price. I think he has an ad over at PE sales forum. His are painted but you could always sand the cabinets and apply veneer.

Comment

• deucelee
                                        • Nov 2008

sounds good, i'll have to check it out...

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"