X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

PL Premium Polyurethane Adhesive

Hello,

I just used the above adhesive to glue the back of one of my enclosures on. I needed some better gap filling properties to assist with a "measure three times, still cut too small" error...

Noramlly I use West Sytem Epoxy for its long open time and strength; has anyone used PL for speakers, and do you feel it is a good choice? It is a LOT cheaper than epoxy, and a LOT less messy to work with.

Regards,

Bruce
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I used it on my Khancenter baffle. I had to cut the baffle off and reglue it. PL was what was recommended to me here. Worked fine. I haven't noted any downside to it over the last year of use. You can read about it in my Khancenter thread.

But, there will always be people who want to argue over theories.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kingpin
      • Jun 2006

It worked on my 500lb monsters. I am sure you will be fine.

Mike
      Call me "MIKE"
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• technimac
        • Feb 2005

Extensive use of PL

I've used it on all the speakers I've built. It's somewhat porous when cured and if there's any "squeezeout", it will take stain - unlike PVA glues.

It has somewhat high viscosity - and stays in place, which is great for installing braces where clamping is difficult.
        Like here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ModulaBracePortGlue-up5web.webp
Views:	30
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	944122

Downsides are that it requires paint thinner for cleanup and if it cures on your skin, it'll take about 3 days to wear off. I usually wear latex gloves when using it.

It does remain somewhat flexible when cured. So, I believe it's able to better handle extreme swings in temperature and humidity (than some of the other, less-flexible but "stronger" glues) without the glue-line failing.
        Bruce
        Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 14:27 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
        "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

I have used it Many times on my speaker projects do to my equipment not making very consistant cuts. I like it when it expands and fills all the gas 8O :T
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• NEO Dan
            • Nov 2007

General rule of thumb i use is:
            If the cut is clean = looks like a router cut, then glue will do
            If it looks like a kid with a jig saw did it, use the PL

PL is possibly the best of the construction adhesives. I know it's the best I've used.
            Regards
            Dan

Comment

• kingpin
              • Jun 2006

The only problem I can think I had when using PL was that I should of had a slightly less tight rabbit wherever the PL was going. It seemed that once there was a slight bit friction between the PL and the mating surface it made things extremely tough to fit together.

Mike
              Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• kingpin
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by technimac
                Extensive use of PL

I've used it on all the speakers I've built. It's somewhat porous when cured and if there's any "squeezeout", it will take stain - unlike PVA glues.

It has somewhat high viscosity - and stays in place, which is great for installing braces where clamping is difficult.
                Like here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ModulaBracePortGlue-up5web.webp Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	944122

Downsides are that it requires paint thinner for cleanup and if it cures on your skin, it'll take about 3 days to wear off. I usually wear latex gloves when using it.

It does remain somewhat flexible when cured. So, I believe it's able to better handle extreme swings in temperature and humidity (than some of the other, less-flexible but "stronger" glues) without the glue-line failing.
                Bruce

Is that PL Premium or one of their other products?
                PL Premium used to be a black/gold tube now it's a black and red tube.

Mike
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 14:28 Wednesday. Reason: Update quote
                Call me "MIKE"

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"