X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuncHwagon
    • May 2009

Lunchwagon's MiniStatement Build

After building the recession busters, I got hooked. I thought the Minis would be a good project to get me started. I have a little bit of woodworking experience, so I thought I would try a few things differently.

1. I dadoed all the joints. 1/4in for depth, then just added 1/2in to the horizontal width and each of the joints. It all fits tight and leaves the end piece with the exact dimensions/Internalvolume of Jims Design. Just something a little different. Ive seen a few others do it. No skill in that area, so using MDF is the best trial wood there is.

2. For ease of cuts, I cut all the horizonal pieces the same. This kept my workflow simple. The open "tunnel" horizonal pieces were just opened up with an arc. You can see those in the pictures. I cant imagine that it will change the sound compared to the 1" strips in the design.

These are my unsanded, dryfit pictures. With the glue and clamping all the joints are tight, flush and square.

Next up is crossovers and backs... These are going to have a solid wood baffle with the rest being in a glossy black.
    Attached Files
  • pocho
    • May 2009

Its a nice start

Looking Good

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hi Lunchwagon,

Excellent work so far! I'm looking forward to following your build and hear your thoughts when you get done.:T

Jim

Comment

• BeerParty
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by LuncHwagon
        Next up is crossovers and backs... These are going to have a solid wood baffle with the rest being in a glossy black.
        Are you planning to laminate the front baffle (solid wood + MDF) or are you planning to make the entire front baffle out of solid wood?
        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• LuncHwagon
          • May 2009

The plan for right now is a solid wood baffle. I have some concern of warping, still up in the air here. With all the relief of the cutouts, the narrowness of the piece, and the strength of the glues...and prob a biscuit or two...should be solid. Thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

My second choice is going to resaw several pieces of the solid wood and make my own "plywood." This requires staining to blend the ply. I've done this before with great success (albiet not for speakers)

MY third option is going to be a lack of hardwood altogether. I would have the baffle a different color than the rest.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"