X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_k
    • Jun 2009

Monitor Statements Build Questions

This is my first post on HTGuide and of course its a bunch of questions.

After many hours searching for a set of monitors to build I settled on the Monitor Statements. I have the drivers and crossover components and had a few questions before I start. I will post pictures as I go through the build.

I picked up the drivers and crossover components from Solen to avoid the shipping and brokerage hassles of shipping stuff up to Canada. There were a few components that did not match spec exactly because that was all they had (and I was only in Montreal for the day and of course they closed in 10 minutes). Should I be concerned about any of these affecting the crossover?

C2011 in the mid x-over is 51uf instead of 50.
    R3041 and R3051 are 6.2ohm instead of 6ohm.

Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself on the second question. If you are veneering the baffle it looks like most people route the baffle, attach the baffle to the cabinet, veneer the cabinet, then trim the veneer with a flush trim bit with the tip cut off. Any other ways of trimming the veneer around the driver holes that leaves a nice edge ?

Thanks!

Dave
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dave_k
    This is my first post on HTGuide and of course its a bunch of questions.

After many hours searching for a set of monitors to build I settled on the Monitor Statements. I have the drivers and crossover components and had a few questions before I start. I will post pictures as I go through the build.

I picked up the drivers and crossover components from Solen to avoid the shipping and brokerage hassles of shipping stuff up to Canada. There were a few components that did not match spec exactly because that was all they had (and I was only in Montreal for the day and of course they closed in 10 minutes). Should I be concerned about any of these affecting the crossover?

C2011 in the mid x-over is 51uf instead of 50.
    R3041 and R3051 are 6.2ohm instead of 6ohm.

Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself on the second question. If you are veneering the baffle it looks like most people route the baffle, attach the baffle to the cabinet, veneer the cabinet, then trim the veneer with a flush trim bit with the tip cut off. Any other ways of trimming the veneer around the driver holes that leaves a nice edge ?

Thanks!

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to HT Guide! I hope you'll enjoy the Monitors as much as I do.

No worries on the minor component differences. That's within normal tolerance variations of crossover components. However, DCR of the inductors should be close to the original specs.

I'm not the most accomplished cabinet builder so I'll let others chime in with tips regarding your veneering questions.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Bill Schneider
      • Sep 2007

Any other ways of trimming the veneer around the driver holes that leaves a nice edge ?

Thanks!

Dave
      This should do it...

Last edited by Bill Schneider; 23 May 2011, 15:50 Monday.
      My audio projects:
      http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• dave_k
        • Jun 2009

Jim - thanks for the welcome and many thanks for the design.

Bill - exactly what I was looking for.

Looking forward to getting these put together.

Dave

Comment

• Hugo82
          • Jun 2009

Few questions if i may about these Statement Monitors.

These Monitors have a lower sensitivity then the bigger siblings, how much of a "concern" (wrong word probably) might that be ?
          What is the wattage rating of the design/how much power would they need ideally ?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Hugo82
            Few questions if i may about these Statement Monitors.

These Monitors have a lower sensitivity then the bigger siblings, how much of a "concern" (wrong word probably) might that be ?
            What is the wattage rating of the design/how much power would they need ideally ?
            Curt can probably peg the sensitivity closer than I can but I'd estimate the Monitors as being very similar to the Mini's in that regard. We used the RS180-4 in the Monitors rather than the RS180-8 used in the other Statements designs specifically to increase sensitivity and we liked the bass capability. Just a SWAG, figure about 87 db for the Monitors and Mini's and about 88 -89 db for the Statements. Again these are just guesstaments.

Something in the (real) 100 watt+ range will drive them to full volume with more being better. That rules out many receivers if you want to get loud. Just a rule of thumb, figure around 104 db for the Monitors and 110 DB for the Mini's and perhaps a bit more for the Statements. All should handle higher brief peaks. I got lambasted the last time I talked about maximum SPL capability so consider these safe, conservative guidelines. There are lots of varibles such as room, how far away you sit etc. that will impact total SPL at the listening position.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

I am running four Monitors along with the Center in a five channel setup powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I can definitely vouch for their capabilities. I cannot speak to the exact sensitivity numbers, but I can crack plaster and still have amazing detail and a very surprising amount of bass from music. I've noticed this especially recently after picking up an Oppo BD-83 and getting some SACDs & DVD-As. They just made these speakers shine that much more :T
              -Chuck

Comment

• dave_k
                • Jun 2009

So I have most of the cabinets put together and the crossovers are built. I was about to mount the crossovers in the cabinet with some screws and some steel nuts as standoffs when I remembered that anything ferrous near the inductors is a no-no. How do people mount their crossovers so they can be removed later if necessary? Brass screws? Velcro?

D

Comment

• BeerParty
                  • Oct 2008

How do people mount their crossovers so they can be removed later if necessary? Brass screws? Velcro?
                  I used Velcro in mine.
                  Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                  My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

I have not put the final finishing work on mine yet, and just have the crossovers laying in the bottom of the speaker loose. No problems at all, though good to keep in mind when you're moving them around
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Velcro is acceptable, but if you have confidence in your work, and have tested them, then hot glue provides a very permanent solution.
                      DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• wackii
                        • Jan 2006

I have mines sit on a 1/4" dowel. Just drill 1/4" holes on your crossover board then insert the dowels through there then counter-sink and glue the other end of the dowels to your cabinet.

Al,

Comment

• Dan Giovanni
                          • Apr 2009

Can anyone who has built the monitor statements comment on how they fair for nearfield listening?

They are for a bedroom system, with serious listening 6-8 feet distant. But I also do a lot of work at the computer and listen to internet radio, so I'l be within 2 - 4 feet of the speakers. I don't care about realistic imaging at this distance, but would hope they will still sound reasonably balanced.

Thanks!

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

I have four monitors plus the center in my apartment living room, which is about 16'x13'. The front LCR is approximately 8' or so from the listener, and the rear channels are probably only 3-4' to the side depending on where you sit. In this setup they sound great! Surprising amounts of bass as well. As you say I'm sure the imaging could be better with a larger room, but I can definitely say they sound amazing even in a small space.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Dan Giovanni
                              • Apr 2009

Thanks Chuck, that's what I was hoping to hear!

Jim expressed some concern to me whether the rear wave from the mids would have enough distance to integrate with the direct output. I have some measurement capability, so I'm thinking I'll be able to equalize out any peaks or dips by adjusting the crossover, adding some extra absorption in the mid tunnel or via digital EQ.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

I do still have them out from the wall about 18" or so, and built them using the "near wall" crossover design.
                                -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"