X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Need new surrounds

I have recently completed my Nat Ps for LR mains with accompaning bass bins. Along with the WTMW CC these are just crushing my poor Infinity Alpha 20s that I have regulated to surround duty. My room is roughly 3200 Cubed and the floor is 15 by 20 for the theater area. I have looked at the Modula MT and the D44 designs along with the Tri Trix designs. These must be Non BSC. I would appreciate some help. Any other designs are welcome as well.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Do you have enough room for a set of in-wall/on-wall NatP's?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
      • Aug 2006

I really would like to go smaller Thomas. Do I need to go this large for the surrounds?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Need to?

No, but....

The newer high-def DVD rear effects channels get completely discrete signals. So having larger speakers (like ones matched to the mains) is a nice thing IF it's in the budget and there's room to put them.

Otherwise I'd go with the Modula MT.

But it's not that much less expensive than the NatP option....

And FWIW the newer multi-channel music discs really benefit from matched speakers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
          • Aug 2006

I hear you Thomas and it makes since. Yes I have the room and the budget. I would have to make them floor standers then. Thanks for the imput once again. As always Thomas is a great resource. One good thing about building another set of Nats is I already have the front baffles built. I have a 7.1 setup would 4 of these be to much for this size room?

Comment

• dynamowhum
            • Aug 2006

I should have said 4 of these doing surround duty be to much for this room?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I think they'd be just about perfect for a 15'X20' room. You be able to move enough air so the drivers would never be stressed.

If you want something more modest use the Modula MT's on the sides, that would leave a nice match for 4.1/5.1 music

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                • Aug 2006

Gotcha thanks for the input.

Comment

• don9146
                  • Nov 2008

Just remember, Evil Twin himself recommends an "imperial class amplifier" (http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=22626 third paragraph). The impedance stays at 4 Ohms for much of the frequency response and even dips dips below that around 2500 Hz. It is wise to heed the warnings of the Imperial Twin.

Later,
                  Don
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• dynamowhum
                    • Aug 2006

Don I have a first gen Emotiva for my front end and plan on using a couple Behringer A500s or an Emotiva UPA 7 amp. It all depends if I decide to go the Dolby 11Z route. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"