X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juliovideo
    • Mar 2009

Two woofers ?

I can connect two woofers in series of 8 ohms and a resistance in parallel for 8 ohms total take. ?

I would have that problem in this design?

thank you.

------------------
    "Liberty is the right of every man to be honest, to think and to speak without hypocrisy.."

José Martí (1853 to 1895)
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

You'd be wasting power. If the woofers are really 8 ohms, i.e. not closer to 6 or 5, then don't wire in series; wire in parallel. If they are low enough in impedance that wired in parallel would drop below 4 or three ohms, then you'd better just wire in series. No need to parallel a resistor. Unless you're trying to work with a pre-built crossover, but then you have other problems.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• juliovideo
      • Mar 2009

Here an example...................

"Initially the DTQWT was added only a single bass driver, providing a system impedance of ~4 ohms minimum, not something that should make most decent low-wattage amps uncomfortable considering the overall system sensitivity. My 20 wpc PSE mono-blocks (6AS7 triodes) did well, but adding a second unit in series with the first driver left no doubt that the amps felt better about ~6 ohms minimum. Actually they felt much better and I admit I was surprised by the difference. Distortion was significantly reduced at (very) high levels and the grip on the bass drivers significantly improved. Possibly the reduced cone motion from having two bass drivers also reduces back-EMF (back-electro-motive-force) and SET amps have low damping factor with poor grip on bass drivers compared to push-pull valve amps or solid state amps."

Click image for larger version

Name:	JA8008_TW034_Beyma_crossover_V2_2xbass.gif
Views:	12
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	944140

Connect two woofers in series, is right or wrong?

thank you.

----------------------
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:10 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
      "Liberty is the right of every man to be honest, to think and to speak without hypocrisy.."

Comment

• juliovideo
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        You'd be wasting power. If the woofers are really 8 ohms, i.e. not closer to 6 or 5, then don't wire in series; wire in parallel. If they are low enough in impedance that wired in parallel would drop below 4 or three ohms, then you'd better just wire in series. No need to parallel a resistor. Unless you're trying to work with a pre-built crossover, but then you have other problems.

Thanks !!!

-------------------

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

If you are asking specifically about Troels design, then yes it has two woofers in series. The parallel resistor is part of the low pass filter in this case. He states that the minimum impedance is 6 ohms, so you are fine in that regard.

Everything I've heard about Troels designs has been relatively positive, so I'd say - go for it, especially if you want high efficiency and can tolerate such a large cabinet.

Comment

• juliovideo
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
            If you are asking specifically about Troels design, then yes it has two woofers in series. The parallel resistor is part of the low pass filter in this case. He states that the minimum impedance is 6 ohms, so you are fine in that regard.

Everything I've heard about Troels designs has been relatively positive, so I'd say - go for it, especially if you want high efficiency and can tolerate such a large cabinet.
            Thanks ,...............Actually this is a concern,and I do not know, maybe if it is I who does not understand,but I realize the diversity of opinions when they should all be similar.

for example.

Madisound tells me they can not connect two woofer of 8 ohms in series, because that is wrong,......... where to put 8 ohms a resistor in parallel is crazy, for have 8 ohms total.

They can do is connect the two woofer in parallel of 8 ohms but I have only 4 ohms total ,or connected in series two woofer of 4 ohm for have 8 ohms total.

But my woofers is 8 ohms !.........I want 8 ohms total.

I think that a system of 8 ohms total will have better sound quality than a 4 ohms total.

More people will give more importance to the cut of the drivers, but for me the impedance is more important.

--------------------

Comment

• kevinp.
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by juliovideo
              I think that a system of 8 ohms total will have better sound quality than a 4 ohms total.

More people will give more importance to the cut of the drivers, but for me the impedance is more important.

--------------------
              but... that's not true. Unless your amp can't handle 4 ohms and blows up, in which case, yes; 8 ohms would sound better

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                • May 2004

Are you using a tube amplifier? If so, perhaps it would make a difference depending on its configuration and output transformer. Otherwise, it should make no difference.

Why not just use one woofer?

Comment

• juliovideo
                  • Mar 2009

thanks kevinp

-------------------------

Then...... theoretical world of audio ; Still do not understand why you can not connect a resistor in parallel for equalizer impedance for two speakers in series with 8 ohms each.

I know how it connects and is calculated, what I do not understand is that many not the look good.

why ?

--------------------

Comment

• juliovideo
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                    Are you using a tube amplifier? If so, perhaps it would make a difference depending on its configuration and output transformer. Otherwise, it should make no difference.

Why not just use one woofer?
                    I have to buy it but not yet.

For this designs ................

Hi ,I'm a newbie......................and I pulled on an adventure to built the Sonus Faber Diy . 8O http://www.hifi-notes.com/sonusfaberamatifabrikage-nl.htm http://www.sonusfaber.com/eng/index.html Here are some DIY photos of my creation at my apartment in Florida. :T materials. Oak wood MDF 48" H x 12"

thanks ..... :T

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5046.webp
Views:	21
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	944141

-----------------
                    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:11 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location and htguide url

Comment

• Face
                      • Mar 2007

Do it right and buy something capable of 4ohms, there's plenty of choices out there.
                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"