X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acacia987
    • Apr 2009

My first build suggestions

Background:
    My name is Andrew and i am from Baltimore Maryland. My background is in Mechanical Engineering (so i am not completely out of my element) and i am pretty handy with power tools. i have spent the last week on this and the PE forum perusing the threads. The consensus is, since this is my first build i should do a proven design first which i agree with.

What i am looking for:
    I want to do an LCR setup for my home theater. These speakers would be used almost exclusively as theater speakers( no critical music listening) and maybe if the "boss" allows it, in a dedicated home theater some day. So, a Sub will always be in the mix.

So far i have been thinking about the following options:

1) the Dayton RS WMTW Center & TMWW Mains(one of the multiple revisions) that are located in the mission accomplished part of this forum.

2) a MTM design across the LCR. i have not settled on a single proven design but there seems to be a couple popular ones running around.

Final thoughts:
    i cant say i am to impartial to any brand of woofers, but i gather the Dayton RS series seems to have a good price/performance/ ratio. My current setup is an axiom LCR (2xM2 Ti, and a VP100 center).I was looking into a pair of M60's before i started to think about a DIY project. If any other info can help let me know.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Yes it's a very good idea for the speaker building n00b to go with a proven design. Doing that guarantees it's easy to get lots of hand holding, tech support from other builders, and often the designer himself will chime in.

Depending on your budget, either the Dayton RS TMWW or the higher priced Statements are excellent choices.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• acacia987
      • Apr 2009

I took a look at the mini statements and i was really impressed on all fronts, especially with all the documentation. These are at the top of my list right now.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by acacia987
        I took a look at the mini statements and i was really impressed on all fronts, especially with all the documentation. These are at the top of my list right now.

Would be hard to go wrong, there, that little TB Titanium driver is a great midrange. :W
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BeerParty
          • Oct 2008

Some more info about your plan would help with suggestions...

Do you have a specific budget for this project?

Do you want floor standers or something smaller that will go on stands? Floor standers are designed to put the tweeter at ear height when the listener is seated, but it assumes that the floor height is constant between the speaker and the listener. If you are planning a home theater in the future you might need more flexibility (with stages, risers and other considerations).

How far away from the back wall and side walls will you place the speakers? This is important since you are considering the Statements and the backs of the Statements need to be at least 18" away from the wall (including the center).
          Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
          My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• acacia987
            • Apr 2009

no real specific budget. the mini statements would be doable.
            i would like towers and i have plenty of distance to the back wall (2' ish). The full size statements do not have an acceptable WAF however.
            When the theater happens it will be complete with all the bells and whistles (riser , stage, false wall, etc.)

does anyone one know what the current total is for the mini statements (I am not to sure how up to date the prices are in the BOM on Jim's site)

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The BOM contains the suppliers and the part numbers for all the components. So just enter the P/N's in the supplier's search engine.

Or ask Mike82

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BeerParty
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by acacia987
                The mini statements would be doable. I would like towers and i have plenty of distance to the back wall (2' ish).
                As long as you have the space for the center, the Statements would be an excellent choice. You did say you were doing a LCR - so you'll have 2 Mini's as L&R and the Statement Center under (or over) the screen, right?

I am building two Statement Monitors right now, so I can't give you a first hand impression (yet). But as soon as they are done I am sure I'll be gushing about how good they sound like everyone else. Are you planning to build all three at the same time or will you build the mains and add the center later?
                Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• don9146
                  • Nov 2008

There is a guy selling off his un-finished Mini-Statement project at Parts Express right now ( http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=210557 ). Don't know him, no affiliation, yadda-yadda-yadda. He has his BOM with pricing for the project in his post.

Later,
                  Don
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• acacia987
                    • Apr 2009

DON:
                    thanks for the heads up! i imagine the shipping from Texas to Maryland would not be cheap(so in the end i probably wouldn't save all to much).I would rather just order directly from PE incase there is any issues.

BeerParty:
                    Yes this would be an LCR build with the 2 minis and a center(Probably start with the L & R first).

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"