X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike82
    • Mar 2009

My Mini Statement Build

I started working on this the other day and decided to start posting it here. Here are some pictures of what i have done so far.

Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:31 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless you're going to rescale (compress to a size more appropriate for a standard monitor) the images, please post them as links.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mike82
      • Mar 2009

Sorry about that was not sure how to post pictures or how to fix how big they popped up as.

Comment

• jyqureshi
        • Mar 2009

Mike: I'm using flick-r, which automatically gives you different sized pictures once you upload them.
        Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:31 Saturday. Reason: Change spelling for cleanup

Comment

• Mike82
          • Mar 2009

I just have a quick question to ask you guys about the X-Over. I am having a guy named Skip the technical support advisor at Parts Express do it for me. He said he would go through it and check everything and make upgrades to the quality of the parts as he thought would matter in certain areas. He does all this and test them for 40 dollars at the most he said it would be. I thought that could not hurt as long as he did not go crazy with the price. He called today and said he went through and changed a few parts to more quality parts and said the total was only 104 dollars. How is that possible though considering the original X-Over design costs around a 140 dollars. I am thinking I should maybe pull out of the deal. What do you guys think?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mike82
            I just have a quick question to ask you guys about the X-Over. I am having a guy named Skip the technical support advisor at Parts Express do it for me. He said he would go through it and check everything and make upgrades to the quality of the parts as he thought would matter in certain areas. He does all this and test them for 40 dollars at the most he said it would be. I thought that could not hurt as long as he did not go crazy with the price. He called today and said he went through and changed a few parts to more quality parts and said the total was only 104 dollars. How is that possible though considering the original X-Over design costs around a 140 dollars. I am thinking I should maybe pull out of the deal. What do you guys think?
            Hi Mike,

It's not hard to spend more money on crossover parts. The parts spec'ed are the the "bang for the buck" parts rather than the the best you can get at any price. The performance will be excellent with the parts in the BOM. More expensive parts can theoretically make it sound better. That's up to you to decide.

Jim

Comment

• Mike82
              • Mar 2009

Spending more money is understandable but spending less money is what I dont get. The original cost around 140 for both he quoted me 104 for both. Thats after he said he was going to upgrade a few things. I am confused and really wish i told him to stick to the original. Oh well hopefully it turns out alright. I ended up getting some 2in OC 703 insulation and some of Parts Express Sonic Barrier 1" Acoustic Foam. I figured why cheap out on the cheap stuff when I am already this far in. I will post more pictures when I get time. Oh by the way i was going to ask you where did you mount the X-Over board in the mini's?

Comment

• Curt C
                • Feb 2005

Well, I don’t know Skip, but as the crossover designer, I question how he determined some parts ‘needed’ upgrading in the first place, and how he could tell the upgraded parts would be beneficial without listening tests. He may be on the up and up, but to be on the safe side, I’d want to see a list of the substituted parts and what he chose as an upgrade if it were me.

If you need any assistance with this, send me a PM. Perhaps I can help.

C
                Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

You sure it isn't $140 + $104 = $244??? I could see that.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    You sure it isn't $140 + $104 = $244??? I could see that.
                    I agree with you Ryan. My guess is he replaced the one electrolytic with a poly cap and added Mills resistors.

Jim

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                      • Mar 2009

since the guy works at parts express he may be only paying cost for the parts and not retail like we are so the price could be much lower.

Comment

• Mike82
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                        I agree with you Ryan. My guess is he replaced the one electrolytic with a poly cap and added Mills resistors.

Jim

Do you think if he replaced those parts it would make it not sound as good as the original. Or I am guessing it is hard to say.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Do you think if he replaced those parts it would make it not sound as good as the original. Or I am guessing it is hard to say.
                          I think they would sound at least as good with Mills resistors and poly caps. Honestly, that is what I normally spec. However, with those parts the cost came uncomfortably close to the cost to Build Statements, so after discussing options with Curt, we decided that the speced parts could be used with out impact to the sound quality of the Mini's.

Go with what ever fits your budget and they'll sound great. :T

Jim

Comment

• Mike82
                            • Mar 2009

I got ahold of Skip today and found out the only thing he changed was one of the inductors he replaced the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton with a Jantzen is all. The price was quoted at 104 dollars but he forgot a few parts so now it is back up to 150.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I got ahold of Skip today and found out the only thing he changed was one of the inductors he replaced the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton with a Jantzen is all. The price was quoted at 104 dollars but he forgot a few parts so now it is back up to 150.
                              Actually, inductors are the one component I wouldn't change unless you can match the DCR. A change in DCR of the inductor will impact the crossover. If it's minor, it's not a big deal.

Jim

Comment

• Mike82
                                • Mar 2009

Was going to put the insulation in the cabinets toady and was going to ask. What the best way for installing it? I was thinking about using spray adhesive and sticking it right to the wall. But I am wondering if I should cover the insulation at all with fabric?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Was going to put the insulation in the cabinets toady and was going to ask. What the best way for installing it? I was thinking about using spray adhesive and sticking it right to the wall. But I am wondering if I should cover the insulation at all with fabric?
                                  I use 3M #77 and I never cover the insulation.

Jim

Comment

• Mike82
                                    • Mar 2009

I got the insulation installed today and the foam cut. I read through the minis thread and found that I should hold the 1in foam 2in back from the front baffle and then cut a 45 degree angle. Is this still what is considered the best? I have everything I need to finish except the X-Over still waiting waiting on Skip :x. I was planning on mounting the X-Over on top of the mid tunnel, you think that is a good place for it? I will post more pictures of my progress Monday if I get time.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I got the insulation installed today and the foam cut. I read through the minis thread and found that I should hold the 1in foam 2in back from the front baffle and then cut a 45 degree angle. Is this still what is considered the best? I have everything I need to finish except the X-Over still waiting waiting on Skip :x. I was planning on mounting the X-Over on top of the mid tunnel, you think that is a good place for it? I will post more pictures of my progress Monday if I get time.
                                      Hi Mike82,

Yes, the 45 degree angle on the 1" mid foam and 2" back from the front baffle is what I'd recommend to start. I would not glue the mid foam in place until you're completely done, however. You can "tune" the mids depending on the reflectivity of your room by sliding the foam closer/further away from the back of the mid driver.

Also, holding the foam/insulation back from the front baffle 2" should also be followed in the woofer compartments.

I would not recommend mounting the crossover on top of the mid tunnel. The closer to the binding posts and the ability to remove the crossover after completion is important. At least the part about being able to get it out through a woofer hole after the speaker is built. "Opps!" happen and that allows you to fix the crossover if necessary.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Mike82
                                        • Mar 2009

Here are a couple of pictures of the insulation, seems like it takes up too much room. I held it back from the front baffle 1 1/2in. I have to trim the piece under the mid tunnel so that the top woofer dont hit it. Do you guys think it would hurt to put some in on the top I have some left over I could throw up there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3459062029_fd65920660_o.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	952668

Name:	3459876894_e7f5d43aea_o.jpg
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	952669
                                        Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:34 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Here are a couple of pictures of the insulation, seems like it takes up too much room. I held it back from the front baffle 1 1/2in. I have to trim the piece under the mid tunnel so that the top woofer dont hit it. Do you guys think it would hurt to put some in on the top I have some left over I could throw up there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3459062029_fd65920660_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.1 KB ID:	952668

Click image for larger version  Name:	3459876894_e7f5d43aea_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	447.4 KB ID:	952669
                                          I think I'd recommend beveling the fiberglass at a 45 degree angle too. If it crowds the RS225's they'll have a dead sound. No rocket science, just lay it back for a smooth transition.

Jim
                                          Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:35 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• soundtrek
                                            • Nov 2008

Fiberglass insulation

Mike, where did you get the fiberglass insulation you used in your cabs? I am planning a Mini Statement build as well. Thanks Kevin.

Comment

• Mike82
                                              • Mar 2009

I got it at atsacoustics.com
                                              Buy Acoustic Insulation online at ATSAcoustics.com. Use this chart for a quick reference or view the photos and descriptions below. For more detailed information, see Selecting the Right Acoustic Material for a comparison of these materials. Mineral Wool Roxul AFB 1 2.5 lb 12PK Singles Roxul AFB 2 2.5 lb 6PK Singles Roxul Rockboard 60 2 6 lb 4PK Singles Rockwool Comfortboard 80 2 8 lb 4PK Singles Cotton Insulation ATS Recycled Cotton 2 2.5 lb 6PK Singles Fiberglass Insulation ATS Acoustics Rigid Fiberglass Board 1 3 lb 12PK Singles ATS Acoustics Rigid Fiberglass Board 2 3 lb 6PK Singles Knauf ECOSE® 1 3 lb 12PK Singles Knauf ECOSE® 2 3 lb 6PK Singles Knauf ECOSE® Black 2 3 lb 6PK Singles Owens-Corning 703 4 3 lb 3PK Singles Owens-Corning 703 2 3 lb 6PK Singles Owens-Corning 703 1 3 lb 12PK Singles Owens-Corning 703 FRK 2 3 lb 6PK Singles Owens-Corning 705 2 6 lb 4PK Singles Owens-Corning 705 1 6 lb 8PK Singles

Comment

• Mike82
                                                • Mar 2009

Does anyone know what kind of equipment I would need to check the DCR of a X-Over. The only reason I ask is the guy I got doing my X-Over makes me concerned it is not right considering he changed the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton Inductor and has come up with every excuse in the book why it is not done yet.

Comment

• Curt C
                                                  • Feb 2005

Does anyone know what kind of equipment I would need to check the DCR of a X-Over. The only reason I ask is the guy I got doing my X-Over makes me concerned it is not right considering he changed the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton Inductor and has come up with every excuse in the book why it is not done yet.
                                                  Only the inductors have DCR, and they will be difficult to measure accurately without a milliohm meter. If he is substituting the Jantzen P-core 255-116 for the PE laminated 266-566 that will be fine. The difference in DCR is .17 ohms, and will make little, if any difference in the woofer response.

C

Comment

• Mike82
                                                    • Mar 2009

I finally got the X-Overs today only took him about a month too do lol. After doing a little research about how to lay a X-Over out and how not to get the inductors too close to each other makes me wonder if this was done right. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Name:	3488641369_b505ea543a_o.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	952670

Name:	3489454306_bff0f1257a_o.jpg
Size:	751.2 KB
ID:	952671

Here is that site I got the inductor placement from
                                                    Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:36 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Air core are more forgiving of close proximity than iron core, but those are too crammed together ..... IMO

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                        • Dec 2008

technically speaking, I don't see any of the cores lined up on the same axis unless some are too close... what happened to the iron core inductors? replaced with air cores? I'm certainly no expert though. Looks like it was a royal pain to get it packed that tight though :B

Edit: I would listen to Thomas 8)
                                                        Last edited by savage25xtreme; 30 April 2009, 14:48 Thursday. Reason: Thomas beat me
                                                        Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Mike82
                                                          • Mar 2009

How do i know for sure if the placement of the inductors is compromising accuracy is there any way to test it. Curt said I could test the DCR of the inductors with a milliohm meter but can you test the whole board anyway. I am pretty frustrated at this point I payed 55 dollars for this guy to do this right and in a timely fashion considering I dont know how. What I got was bad work which took him a month to complete after lying to me over and over again about it will be done the next day or it will be shipped the next day :M . And after all that getting jerked around it is done sloppy. He still wont tell me what he used to replace the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton inductor with. All I can say is this guy is lucky he lives 500 miles from me.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Inductor Chart..

Here's the inductor chart I go by. Get your ruler out and do a little measuring. If you're close, it'll be OK.

Reposition the ones that could be an issue and you'll be good to go. It looks like the extra money your builder suggested you spend bought Jantzen air cores to replace the Dayton steel core inductors. Curt can comment on the effect of the different DCR.

Jim

Name:	Inductor placement (Large).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	853097
                                                            Last edited by theSven; Yesterday, 16:32 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Curt C
                                                              • Feb 2005

Whoops!
                                                              Disregard parts of my PM regarding this crossover, as I forgot I spec'd a cored inductor for the woofers. ops:

From looking at the pics, I'd guess a 2.7 mH and a 2.0 mH was substituted to make up the 4.7 mH, and it looks like 18gauge inductors were used. The DCR will be significantly higher, and in this instance is an unnacceptable substitution, regardless of the less than optimal component layout.

I sent you a PM with resolution suggestions.

C

How do i know for sure if the placement of the inductors is compromising accuracy is there any way to test it. Curt said I could test the DCR of the inductors with a milliohm meter but can you test the whole board anyway. I am pretty frustrated at this point I payed 55 dollars for this guy to do this right and in a timely fashion considering I dont know how. What I got was bad work which took him a month to complete after lying to me over and over again about it will be done the next day or it will be shipped the next day :M . And after all that getting jerked around it is done sloppy. He still wont tell me what he used to replace the 4.7 mH 18 gauge Dayton inductor with. All I can say is this guy is lucky he lives 500 miles from me.

Comment

• john trials
                                                                • Mar 2009

Not seeing Curt's PM recommendations, I'd add that you should position the resistors with a little space in between, so they can dissipate some heat. Not a lot of space, but not stacked on top of each other as they currently are.
                                                                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"