X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ_L
    • Nov 2008

Really Big

I went to Asi's house today and saw (and heard) his Statements for the first time. I knew they were big; the CAD drawing shows them to be 60-inches tall but they are BIG I mean really BIG

And yes, they sound terrific too. You would never guess this was a DIY project. Asi did a great job building them.

Russ

PS- did I say that they're really really BIG :B
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

They're not big though...
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Chris,
      Your speakers may be almost 2x the volume, but the Statements have a good 10" in height on you, and just -look- bigger. You're going to need to build even bigger speakers if you want to impress this crowd.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

When are you building a pair neighbor?
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Alrighty...

bigger speakers, coming right up. In.. um. a while. After I finish these smaller speakers. And those smaller speakers. And some even smaller ones no one knew I was even thinking about...
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• kingpin
            • Jun 2006

hmm......maybe build an old skool size speaker with a couple 12's or a 15" for some not so perfect mid-bass...if you know what i mean.......yeah thats right, i'm still lurking around here.

speaking of big. anyone heard or seen mark seaton's catalysts. they look very interesting.

sincerely
            no-more-audio-stuff-left-mike
            Call me "MIKE"
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
            CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
            CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
            "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
            Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I heard an earlier version at Art Seaton's place a year or so ago. Was going to hear his Catalysts a couple of weeks ago here in Chicago, but there were some bugs in the house wiring, and he didn't get them up and running until after I had left. They also had the JTR 8s running, which Mark did the crossovers for.

They definitely sound great with movies and have the dynamic power to knock you out of your seat. I don't think CJD would enjoy the voicing when listening to his symphonies.
              - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Russ_L
                I went to Asi's house today and saw (and heard) his Statements for the first time. I knew they were big; the CAD drawing shows them to be 60-inches tall but they are BIG I mean really BIG

And yes, they sound terrific too. You would never guess this was a DIY project. Asi did a great job building them.

Russ

PS- did I say that they're really really BIG :B
                Hi Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. :T The Statements are tall but really only take up a bit more than one foot of floor space. Being an ex line array owner I've figured out how to justify REALLY BIG speakers to the wife.

Of course the BIG SOUND the Statements produce soon makes you forget about the physical size of the speaker.

Anyway, enough tongue in cheek comments. I hope you enjoyed them. It sounds like Asi has a VERY nice system and I'm glad he was willing to share it with you.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• kingpin
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                  They definitely sound great with movies and have the dynamic power to knock you out of your seat. I don't think CJD would enjoy the voicing when listening to his symphonies.

:P I am hoping one day someone creates a "fun" speaker if that makes any sense.
                  Call me "MIKE"
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                  CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                  CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                  "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                  Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Russ_L
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    Hi Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. :T The Statements are tall but really only take up a bit more than one foot of floor space. Being an ex line array owner I've figured out how to justify REALLY BIG speakers to the wife.

Of course the BIG SOUND the Statements produce soon makes you forget about the physical size of the speaker.

Anyway, enough tongue in cheek comments. I hope you enjoyed them. It sounds like Asi has a VERY nice system and I'm glad he was willing to share it with you.

Best regards,

Jim
                    Hi Jim- yes Asi did a great job on the Statements and several other smaller speakers scattered around his house. I'm a multichannel SACD guy so I'll being going in the direction of five Statement Monitors.

I've (finally) started finishing the basement; the Monitors will come after that. However I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an infinite baffle sub which will be part of the construction in the basement. I'll be posting some questions in that regard soon.

Keep up the great work. :T

Russ

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Russ_L
                      Hi Jim- yes Asi did a great job on the Statements and several other smaller speakers scattered around his house. I'm a multichannel SACD guy so I'll being going in the direction of five Statement Monitors.

I've (finally) started finishing the basement; the Monitors will come after that. However I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an infinite baffle sub which will be part of the construction in the basement. I'll be posting some questions in that regard soon.

Keep up the great work. :T

Russ
                      Thanks Russ! We look forward to following your build thread.

Jim

Comment

• Mike B
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                        Alrighty...

bigger speakers, coming right up. In.. um. a while. After I finish these smaller speakers. And those smaller speakers. And some even smaller ones no one knew I was even thinking about...
                        Are you going to try some high efficiency units?

Comment

• ahaik
                          • Feb 2007

Ah, finally I get some time by the computer, what a bussy day...
                          Working on the house and in the spare time on these :B
                          The plan was to make some temporary stands for next meeting (a LI audiophile group) using some 2x4's with plywood, talk about following the plan 8O They still need to be stained an finished.

Yesterday started by listening to the vifa 'recession busters', I wanted to see Russ's reaction after I tell him the price tag on these, they sound great and amazing when you consider the price tag.
                          By the time we got to the 'Statements', we only had a few minutes to listen before breakfast was ready which turned into a long (and very enjoyable) conversion. Maybe next time we could actually listen to music too :rofl: (just kidding of course)

It was a pleasure having you over Russ, my wife and I enjoyed your company very much.

Asi.

PS - The 'Statements' look like bookshelfs compared to Mike's 'Project overkill'
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Those stands look great!
                            - Ryan

Comment

• ahaik
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                              Those stands look great!
                              Thanks Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"