internal volume for Aurasound NS12-794-4A 12" sealed ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cameraman
    • Mar 2009

internal volume for Aurasound NS12-794-4A 12" sealed ?

I’m getting ready to build a sealed enclosure using an Aurasound NS12-794-4A 12" subwoofer and want to confirm the optimal internal volume for a sealed design. I will try some of the tools available but seem to have a compatiblity issue with office 2007.

Primary use is music and secondary use home theater. I will get as much amplifier as needed so while efficiency is nice, performance is more important.

As an update I am finishing up a previous project and have one more coat of paint to put on the Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" Sealed pair I am building before I install the drivers and fire them up.

Thank you.

From Madisound

Fs 27 Hz
    Nominal Imp. 4 ohms
    Power (RMS) 400 W
    Re 3.5 ohms
    Sens. 1W/1m 84 dB
    X-max peak 18 mm
    Qms 7.1
    Qes 0.45
    Qts 0.43
    Vas 78 ltrs
    BL 14 TM
    Mms 152 gr
    Cms 233 mM/N
    Sd 487 cm2
    Net weight 8.0 kg
    Max Exc. p2p 60 mm
    VC diameter 79.4 mm

Recommended Enclosure:
    F3 of 25Hz: 3.5 cubic feet with 4" Ø vent by 12" long (But I want sealed)
    Last edited by Cameraman; 28 March 2009, 19:23 Saturday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is more than a little confusing.....

You're asking for optimized box info as you're doing the finish painting on the assembled cabinets?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Cameraman
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
      This is more than a little confusing.....

You're asking for optimized box info as you're doing the finish painting on the assembled cabinets?
      Two separate projects.

Project 1: I am putting the final coat of paint on the cabinets I just built for a pair of NS10-513-4A 10" I already own.

Project 2: I plan on building a sealed sub using the NS12-794-4A 12" I just ordered.

Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you're having troubles with Unibox and Office 07, download WinISD Pro alpha. According to Jack Hidley WinISD has some math errors but it's probably fine for a small sealed box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Cameraman
          • Mar 2009

I finished the pair of Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" subwoofers’ in 1 cubic ft. sealed enclosures I've been working on and hooked them up for the first time after picking up a used Crown CE 4000.

The 2 cubic foot sealed box for an Aurasound NS12-794-4A 12” is coming along. Clamps just came off in this image so I haven’t started sanding and cleaning it up. I’m also not sure how I might finish it. I may try and match the Oak speakers I built or possibly use red oak but stain it black. Decisions decisions.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Looks pretty nice! :T Looks like a good bracing job.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DS-21
              • Jun 2005

I would recommend about 100L sealed. That gives a Qtc in the mid-0.5's and makes for a fairly efficient, superlative-sounding subwoofer. You probably wouldn't need more than 200W. The motor doesn't have the thermal performance of, say, a JBL WGTi sub, so there's no real point in overpowering it.

Another nice thing about that size is that you could make a convertible enclosure. Run in vented mode with a 25Hz tune, you gain about 8dB (IIRC) at ~22Hz. For movies I'd run sealed to protect the expensive driver, but for music you may find you prefer the vented tune, especially if you're using the NS12 as your primary subwoofer.

You could go smaller, of course. Halving the box volume. Especially if you're planning a multiple, distributed subwoofer arrangement (which frankly anyone who uses such expensive drivers better be planning on doing, because otherwise they're seriously wasting money), that might be more aesthetically tenable and will result in at worst a marginal performance decrease.

FYI, I'm using a pair of them as "broadband" subs in a Geddes-style configuration, supporting a sealed Maelstrom-X corner-loaded "ULF" sub, in the 100L cabs I recommended above, with 500W plate amps.

Comment

• Cameraman
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by DS-21
                I would recommend about 100L sealed. That gives a Qtc in the mid-0.5's and makes for a fairly efficient, superlative-sounding subwoofer. You probably wouldn't need more than 200W. The motor doesn't have the thermal performance of, say, a JBL WGTi sub, so there's no real point in overpowering it.

Another nice thing about that size is that you could make a convertible enclosure. Run in vented mode with a 25Hz tune, you gain about 8dB (IIRC) at ~22Hz. For movies I'd run sealed to protect the expensive driver, but for music you may find you prefer the vented tune, especially if you're using the NS12 as your primary subwoofer.

You could go smaller, of course. Halving the box volume. Especially if you're planning a multiple, distributed subwoofer arrangement (which frankly anyone who uses such expensive drivers better be planning on doing, because otherwise they're seriously wasting money), that might be more aesthetically tenable and will result in at worst a marginal performance decrease.

FYI, I'm using a pair of them as "broadband" subs in a Geddes-style configuration, supporting a sealed Maelstrom-X corner-loaded "ULF" sub, in the 100L cabs I recommended above, with 500W plate amps.

Since one of my original goals was to build a smaller subwoofer/s to replace the 4 cubic ft. sub I have now, a 3.5 cubic ft. enclosure wouldn’t buy me much in the way of WAF. That’s why I settled on the 2 cubic ft. sealed design. I might build a ported box as well to check the difference since I have plenty of extra material but it would never find its way into the family room. I was also looking to use the .1 output for the first time in the family room set-up since the existing 18" was crossed over to handle 80hz and below for my mains.

I am interested in the Geddes approach since I have a number of subs now I could use since they are small enough to be hidden under coffee tables and behind furniture but I need to read up a bit to fully understand. For example, does Geddes assume all subs are off the .1 LFE output or can it work with a mono sum sub off the mains or stereo pair off the mains with an active crossover? I think I read where Geddes runs all speakers as large. That’s a topic I can post in another existing thread though.

Thanks.

Comment

• Carl V
                  • Apr 2005

George

are you pleased with your Aurasound 10" bass bins?
                  your 2 -1ft3 enclosures look good...how do they sound?
                  If you had to do it again would you have made them a bit
                  larger & still sealed? Would have gone to at least 1.6L ported?
                  Are you so far pleased with their integration? Has this helped
                  the visions perform better?

Sorry about the many questions...I'm about to emabark
                  upon a similar journey.

Comment

• Cameraman
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Carl V
                    George

are you pleased with your Aurasound 10" bass bins?
                    your 2 -1ft3 enclosures look good...how do they sound?
                    If you had to do it again would you have made them a bit
                    larger & still sealed? Would have gone to at least 1.6L ported?
                    Are you so far pleased with their integration? Has this helped
                    the visions perform better?

Sorry about the many questions...I'm about to emabark
                    upon a similar journey.
                    All good questions but I’m too early in the process to have many of the answers.

I started the project with the goal of building smaller subs since my wife has been on me to move the 18” Leviathan I built so she can buy new end tables and enjoy her hobby of redecorating the house. She will eventually realize she was better off with the single 4 cubic foot box that I’m attempting to replace with two or three smaller subs.

I prioritize music in the family room since I also have a dedicated theater and have always preferred sealed designs. The fact they are smaller is a bonus. 1 cubic ft. for the 10s and 2 cubic ft. for the 12 was what the calculators and manufactures recommended so that is what I went with.

My 2 cubic foot Aurasound NS12-794-4A 12” isn’t finished so I can’t comment on how it sounds yet.

I just hooked up the two Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" subwoofers’ on April 8th but haven’t calibrated or balanced the system yet in any way. I will likely wait until the 12” is done so I don’t have to start all over again.

Even without integrating the system I am pleased with the sound. Even though music is the priority, Movies and TV are especially noticeable, likely due to having LFE for the first time in this room. Just by chance Jurassic Park was on HBOHD and my daughter came in the room and made me turn down the sound. Tyrannosaurus rex was a little too much for her. I’ve tried a couple multi-channel SACD’s and DVD Audio disks and they sounded very natural and full as well. Sorry I can’t be of more help yet but I’ll know more in a week or two.

Comment

• Carl V
                      • Apr 2005

thanks for the reply & not rushing to any rash conclusions
                      or observations. I look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                        • Jul 2006

The 10" has very limited bass extension in a sealed box.

Comment

• DS-21
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Cameraman
                          Since one of my original goals was to build a smaller subwoofer/s to replace the 4 cubic ft. sub I have now, a 3.5 cubic ft. enclosure wouldn’t buy me much in the way of WAF. That’s why I settled on the 2 cubic ft. sealed design.
                          That should still be fine. I think it would be hard to not be impressed with this thing.

For example, does Geddes assume all subs are off the .1 LFE output or can it work with a mono sum sub off the mains or stereo pair off the mains with an active crossover? I think I read where Geddes runs all speakers as large. That’s a topic I can post in another existing thread though. Thanks.
                          Well, there are some new refinements, but the gist of it is to run them off of the .1 LFE output. Here's a good summary: http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

As for how to run your mains, if they're decently sized then run them "large." If they're tiny, highpass them. If you run them large, set your receiver to "LFE+Main" mode (or "Double Bass" or whatever other receivers call it; LFE+Main is what my Denon 4306 calls it).

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                          The 10" has very limited bass extension in a sealed box.
                          That doesn't much matter. It has enough Vd for use as a secondary sub in a Geddes-style multisub system.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Other NS10-513-4A alignments

Here's another interesting alignment for those considering bass bins with the NS10 Aura; 75 liters for two wired in series, recommended for in room placement with LF boundary gain, such as a "bass bin" in a multi-way system.

Attached Files
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Carl V
                              • Apr 2005

Thanks Jon

Big ported Bass Bin. Looks good tho'

Ddin't Dean100 do a 50L sealed bass Bin with
                              2 Aurasound NS10-413-4A? I beleive he is running
                              them under sealed Modula MTMs & he has a Sealed
                              Tumult to help with the deep stuff.

Has any one had expereince with a SEAS L26ROY 10"

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

I've been looking at that Seas, too, I expect it's pretty shiny, but the price is hard to resist for the NS10, and it's a known quantity for me, due to my experience with NS12.

The Seas looks excellent by specs, the cone is pretty stiff, and apart from price, I can't see any drawback. With 14 mm Xmax, it's more of a sub than the Aura with it's 10 mm Xmax, wouldn't you say?
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Carl V
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  I've been looking at that Seas, too, I expect it's pretty shiny, but the price is hard to resist for the NS10, and it's a known quantity for me, due to my experience with NS12.

The Seas looks excellent by specs, the cone is pretty stiff, and apart from price, I can't see any drawback. With 14 mm Xmax, it's more of a sub than the Aura with it's 10 mm Xmax, wouldn't you say?
                                  yes indeed, it's a sub. I was aware of someone using it with a DEQX
                                  up to about 250Hz. MTM SS18s & aircirc.

NS10 is a steal.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Carl V
                                    yes indeed, it's a sub. I was aware of someone using it with a DEQX
                                    up to about 250Hz. MTM SS18s & aircirc.

NS10 is a steal.
                                    The Seas is on my short list for a future design. This one was designed with the Klippel system and should be excellent.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Well, Craig, when you get one, how about throwing some distortion plots are way to get us drooling? :B :drool:
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Cameraman
                                        • Mar 2009

I finished the 2 cubic foot sealed design for the Aurasound NS12-7094-4A and now am considering building ported versions of the NS10-513-4A after taking a little break. I’ve got the ports and wood and will use the same drivers I have in the 1 cubic foot sealed boxes but will play with these for now.

I have port material for a ported version of the NS12 too due to so many comments strongly recommending ported designs. Thanks a lot ; ignorance would have been bliss.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Very, very nice! :T
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DS-21
                                            • Jun 2005

I have port material for a ported version of the NS12 too due to so many comments strongly recommending ported designs. Thanks a lot ; ignorance would have been bliss.
                                            Looks great! I would keep everything (NS12 + diffusion-line NS10's) sealed, personally. If you're running all of them in the same system, you can get odd stuff happening down low by mixing vented and closed boxes. Won't always, and there are ways to work around it, but the effort does not seem to be worth the potential benefits to me.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"