speaker design that kicks your chest in?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 16hz lover
    • Mar 2009

I'm putting together a speaker system with 8-15" Eminence woofers in horn loaded cabinets and 2 of the Audax PR170MO midrange per side(106db)...I'll look into that Heil tweeter though, thanks for mentioning it.

Comment

• johnathanwinter
      • Mar 2009

you could really make one heil of a line with those tweets. sorry... couldnt resist.

Comment

• terryj
        • May 2008

I have a speaker that most definitely thumps you in the chest.

I run a PHL 18 each side, crossing to a PHL 6.5 then to a ss ring radiator.

It is flat in my room (tho being a pro driver it requires eq to go low) to 30-35 hz.

So an observation that agrees with a lot of comments above, it is not sub territory that give the slam.

They are extremely articulate, yet there is something about them that is totally different from 'audiophile' bass, it is the impact and authority that sets them apart.

I would not trade them for any other bass I have heard to date.

When I say flat, I mean flat. With enough area (I guess that is at the bottom of it) you do not need (and I certainly do not want) any artificial bumps in the FR.

An earlier comment is also very true, you only get it if it is on the recording. I can put on a string quartet and it will not be bassy etc. That too would be an awful state of affairs.

No, they are accurate, and give back what it gets, nothing more and certainly nothing less.

Mmmm.anyone for an internal NIN massage??

(edit..very silly question, but I cannot seem to find a start thread button??? I have a few questions I'd like to ask, ohh how embaressing, unless I somehow have turned off a button somewhere)

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

im not expecting accurrate here. im expecting a set of speakers for one purpose and one purpose only. to recreate a set of drums in the living room that give enough impact to be able to feel the impact of the drum stick on the tom tom.
          Why would you think an accurate speaker couldn't do that? If it's on the disk, the speaker should play it. Some speakers can play louder than others (if you like it loud) but that doesn't mean they aren't 'accurate.'

Comment

• TMadden
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by johnathanwinter
            you could really make one heil of a line with those tweets. sorry... couldnt resist.
            That had crossed my mind too! A few years ago you could still buy them new from ESS. I only bought one pair, and sold those about 6 months ago. I still have a pair of the older style I picked up on eBay though. Great tweeters, could play from about 800hz up, 96 db efficient, excellent sound.

Just caught the joke, man I need glasses!

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Hmm.

According to your definitions, the closest I've ever had to that kind of sound were my old JBL LX-66s...
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
                • May 2005

The closest set of speakers I built were these line arrays with 10 5 1/4" aluminum drivers and Planar tweeters. And yes, that drumstick whack on the drum rim was very evident.
                After 3 years of experimenting with other peoples projects and ideas I'm going retro and trying the high efficiency speakers. I bought a pair of Behringer 10" 2-ways (S1020) and the 18" sub (B1800XX Pro). I could feel the drums but it didn't quite match the line arrays.
                I'm not giving up yet. Around April 2nd or 3rd I'm adding 4x12 BG412V guitar speaker to the mix. Hopefully this setup will reproduce that kick. If this doesn't work than a line array of Dayton DA175's are going to be built.
                Just havin fun here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker-1.webp
Views:	23
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	946542
                Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 18:17 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Dennis H
                  Why would you think an accurate speaker couldn't do that? If it's on the disk, the speaker should play it. Some speakers can play louder than others (if you like it loud) but that doesn't mean they aren't 'accurate.'
                  an accurate speaker with enough spl may be able to recreate what i want if its been recorded on the disc. but i want to be able to get that feeling without it being on the disc which will cause me to boost certain freqs here and there like on the info on drums i posted. So if i boost certain freqs then the speakers probably wouldnt be considered accurate anymore.

However, with the right drivers and an active system someone could create a set of speakers and program into the active crossover a couple of different presets. with the different presets you could have a live 'party' sound or an accurate sound i would think.

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudy Jakubin
                    The closest set of speakers I built were these line arrays with 10 5 1/4" aluminum drivers and Planar tweeters. And yes, that drumstick whack on the drum rim was very evident.
                    After 3 years of experimenting with other peoples projects and ideas I'm going retro and trying the high efficiency speakers. I bought a pair of Behringer 10" 2-ways (S1020) and the 18" sub (B1800XX Pro). I could feel the drums but it didn't quite match the line arrays.
                    I'm not giving up yet. Around April 2nd or 3rd I'm adding 4x12 BG412V guitar speaker to the mix. Hopefully this setup will reproduce that kick. If this doesn't work than a line array of Dayton DA175's are going to be built.
                    Just havin fun here!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Speaker-1.webp Views:	0 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	946542
                    So your still liking the lines the best? I would think you would need some real high efficiency designed speakers to be able to keep up with the lines. there is just so much SPL and unhampered power there that point source stuff really cant keep up from what I have read.
                    Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 18:18 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                      Hmm.

According to your definitions, the closest I've ever had to that kind of sound were my old JBL LX-66s...
                      JBL really does a good job with their speakers. checked those out and found them here.

my line of thinking was going somewhere with this but it has left my mind. oh well. will edit this if i can think of it in the future.

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by johnathanwinter
                        an accurate speaker with enough spl may be able to recreate what i want if its been recorded on the disc. but i want to be able to get that feeling without it being on the disc which will cause me to boost certain freqs here and there like on the info on drums i posted. So if i boost certain freqs then the speakers probably wouldnt be considered accurate anymore.

However, with the right drivers and an active system someone could create a set of speakers and program into the active crossover a couple of different presets. with the different presets you could have a live 'party' sound or an accurate sound i would think.
                        I think it comes down to that old controversial topic of 'Fast Bass'.
                        I think there is such a thing and it comes down to the right drivers.
                        The Dayton DA series certainly impact my chest cavity quite differently than the RS series of the same size in the same box alignments and Q's ...
                        Once I can compare Pro drivers, I'll finally have a handle on this mystery.
                        I won't know until the first week of April.
                        I've fiddled with frequency bumps like Bary Bass did a few years ago with negative effects and aural results.
                        Although it was a fun experiment - it was more for Disco dance floors than 'Party Speakers'.... :lol:

Comment

• Notorious_AK
                          • May 2008

I found that to get this kicking sound, woofer must be crossed over way below breakup and highpassed. My paper 7" usher woofer crossed at ~100-800hz (starting to roll off at 600hz) does produce that chest kick. When I cross it higher, cone breakup doesn't let woofer get to required kicking spl. harsh sound comes before kicking one. I don't know about aluminum cones though, when driven hard they probably need to be crossed as low as paper ones.

Comment

• Adi_V
                            • Mar 2009

I have an eclipse sw9 10inch in my car.. thats bone crunching, earth shattering, "omg dude turn it down i cant breath" stuff! I didnt get that "omg dude turn it down i cant breath" until i got a 4 farad capacitor.. which relli helps out with the bass response.
                            Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 18:18 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken video link

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

Doing that in a car is a bit easier than in a room. Actually, it is waaaaaaaaay easier.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Rudy Jakubin
                                The Dayton DA series certainly impact my chest cavity quite differently than the RS series of the same size in the same box alignments and Q's ...
                                Hi Rudy, can you elaborate a bit on this? What are the differences and which do you prefer? Based on your comment about an array of DA175's I assume you prefer them to, say a line of RS180's. Or am I misintepreting here?

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

THIS is entertaining. Thank you!

Comment

• penngray
                                    • Sep 2007

Why is everyone on this talking about Pro-audio choices and assuming they are automatically bad?

Jonathan, didn't you create a thread over on AVS about this?

If you want high SPL without distortion you are going either build line arrays or go with high SPL drivers like the Lambda Series. 2 TD12s, 1 TD6.5, Raal ribbon tweeter will give you a 95dB sensitive speakers that will fill an auditorium and it will have very low distortion.

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by penngray
                                      Why is everyone on this talking about Pro-audio choices and assuming they are automatically bad?

Jonathan, didn't you create a thread over on AVS about this?

If you want high SPL without distortion you are going either build line arrays or go with high SPL drivers like the Lambda Series. 2 TD12s, 1 TD6.5, Raal ribbon tweeter will give you a 95dB sensitive speakers that will fill an auditorium and it will have very low distortion.
                                      no i didnt create a thread on this over at AVS. I originally posted this because i was in a mood that day (see first post) and wanted to releave stress. I also wanted to know what you needed to get that chest thumping sound from drums that would just make you explode. what better place to post then here where all the experts are. AVS DIY forum is more about sub woofer builds.

but anyway, i think its a fun thread. And your idea of line arrays OR high spl driver... well id say use high SPL drivers in line arrays. :B those lamdas are nice and i was considering useing those for bass bins with the statements build im thinking of, but thats another thread, this thread is about unadulterated power for chest thumping and head smacking sound anyway you think you can get it. :evil:

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                                        • Mar 2009

Completely off topic... sushi and japanese sunrises. wow. what a night. it was awesome! sushi shefs are gods. and that japanese sunrise is like the best drink i have ever had.

penn, i believe i have only created 3 threads maybe 4. 2 here at htguide forum (1 was questions reguarding the statements and the second one is this thread.) the other two were at AVS forum (1 reguarding diy speakers with a 4 grand budget and the other reguarding buying two fronts and a center for 4 grand). I have gotten some pretty useful advise here and at avs. everyone is great.

oh forgot one thread. i created one about madisounds leap crossover program at avs i believe. i cant seem to get any info about madisounds leap. nobody has really seemed to have used it except one person back in 2002, from what i have found. i just couldnt seem to find any info on it so i asked a couple of questions but really couldnt get any direct answers so i gave up on that thread. but anyway i guess thats my posting history.

i think i may like the raal ribbons but boy are they expensive. doing a line of those would be extreme. there is another tweeter that looks like an aluminum cooling block or a radiator, but i cant remember the name or thread at the minute; would be a little better then the raal i think.
                                        Last edited by johnathanwinter; 08 April 2009, 20:38 Wednesday. Reason: insertion of comma

Comment

• dblotii
                                          • Aug 2007

I am a drummer and my old VMPS Tower-2's do a great job of recreating the sound and impact of real acoustic drums. The Tower-2's use 2 different 12 inch woofers and a 12 inch passive radiator. Mid is covered by a 5" cone woofer and 2 tweeters take care of the rest. So I would think that all you really need is a system with the woofer area of 2 12" woofers.

The only DIY system I have ever seen is the PE MCL's, which some have opined are not refined enough (though I have never actually read a review!)

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"