X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HareBrained
    • Jul 2008

woofer + full-range 2-way?

Has anyone built a 2-way that used a woofer and a single full range driver, like a Tang Band W2/W3 or HiVi B3?

I'm thinking about taking the Zaph B3S single driver speaker and grafting in a M5N as a computer speaker.
    John
  • chrisn
    • Sep 2007

I've built a TM using the B3 and a dayton DC250. The DC250 doesn't reach very low in the cabinet I'm using, IMO requiring a subwoofer. A small sub such as the Tang Band 1139 might work well in a small space...

Comment

• HareBrained
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by chrisn
      I've built a TM using the B3 and a dayton DC250. The DC250 doesn't reach very low in the cabinet I'm using, IMO requiring a subwoofer. A small sub such as the Tang Band 1139 might work well in a small space...
      Cool. What was your impression of the B3 in this role?
      What was the enclosure specs for the DC250?

There are a number good woofers for my application. The DC160 and DC200 could work for me. Besides the TB 1139 is the W5-1138. Peerless has an equivalent to the TB drivers that's 6.5" and likes a very small cabinet (model #830946). Even the Dayton RS125 and HiVi M5n would work. I'm thinking F3<50Hz in <10L, which isn't too difficult to for any to the referenced drivers. It may come down to how much I spend on the full-range and passive xover, and what type of driver. Even the Dayton SD215-88 is possible. I will say, I'd like looking at the B3n/M5n combo.

I know Jed K. did a single driver speaker using the TB W4-1337. And Roman has one with the TB W4-1052. The CSS FR125 may be a possibility if I can free up some dollars. There is already a design that uses this and the SDX7, but the combo it too much money for me.
      John

Comment

• SoneNelson
        • Jun 2009

Any updates on the Full-range + woofer project?

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

Tony Gee has a design that he published in a magazine with the Tang Band and an Audio Technology woofer. He sent me the details. Looks interesting, though he did say he felt the AT woofer was overkill..

Comment

• jliedeka
            • Nov 2008

I was considering ripping off Sigfried Linkwitz's Pluto design using a B3 or similar. The key to his design is crossing over at 600Hz (or lower) so the woofer is omnidirectional. I'm concerned, however, about the power handling of most small full range drivers. It seems to be much lower than the tweeters we commonly use.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"