Notch Filter for W4-1337SA (Tang Band Ti 4")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

Notch Filter for W4-1337SA (Tang Band Ti 4")

Anyone have experience with the 4" Titanium Tang Band W4-1337SA yet?

I was looking using this driver full-range for the front three channels in a 5.1 system as weeding present. Something sweet and simple so to speak, but looking at Zaph's measurements (& comments) it looks like a filter is called for to tame the top end response.
    Last edited by Operandi; 30 July 2007, 19:12 Monday.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

This isn't exactly what you have in mind but yes, there is a fair amount of experience with the TB W4-1337SA.

Jim

Comment

• Operandi
      • May 2007

Hmm...... That's awesome, but yes not exactly what I was thinking of. 8)

To clarify; dose anyone have any "full-range" experience with the W4-1337SA?

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Operandi
        Hmm...... That's awesome, but yes not exactly what I was thinking of. 8)

To clarify; dose anyone have any "full-range" experience with the W4-1337SA?
        Well, I listened to a single one, full range infinite baffle with a digital EQ flattening it out. I often just plop a stool down in front of my baffle and listen to a driver. The TB's sound great full range when flattened out. It really surprised me, there aren't many metal cones like that.

If someone wanted to send one over in a finished box, (damping and terminals installed) I'd be happy to come up with a filter for it.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Interesting feedback, John. May have to try that for a certain project I have in mind for my daughter, something with a small "sub" and sort of full range little cubes.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

This has my interest as a computer speaker, with a twist. that cute little Aura tweeter for $9 each would be a great match for the W4-1337. Per Unibox, in a 4.5 liter ported enclosure, F3 should be around 70 Hz. which wouldn't be bad at all.

That seems like a great sounding, inexpensive and small 2-way that could go almost anywhere in the house. :T

All we need is a crossover.

Jim

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Was that a hint, Jim? And will that be nearfield on a table (boundary loaded, no BSC), or? Got data on that tweeter? :W

You guys are DEFINITELY part of my Attention Deficit Disorder problem.... :W

Back to building crossovers.

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Operandi
                • May 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
                Well, I listened to a single one, full range infinite baffle with a digital EQ flattening it out. I often just plop a stool down in front of my baffle and listen to a driver. The TB's sound great full range when flattened out. It really surprised me, there aren't many metal cones like that.

If someone wanted to send one over in a finished box, (damping and terminals installed) I'd be happy to come up with a filter for it.
                Good to hear it sounds good :T.

I'm actually in WI so getting a finished box to you isn't inconceivable.

I'll be working with a friend of mine to come up with the cabinet design this week. I'm having the cabinets made by skilled wood-worker so I'm not sure when this will be finished but I'll keep this thread updated.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

You guys are DEFINITELY part of my Attention Deficit Disorder problem....
                  :rofl: It just popped into my head Jon. I keep coming up with these ideas that always cost money. However, it would need BSC. :T

Jim

Comment

• jkrutke
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    This has my interest as a computer speaker, with a twist. that cute little Aura tweeter for $9 each would be a great match for the W4-1337. Per Unibox, in a 4.5 liter ported enclosure, F3 should be around 70 Hz. which wouldn't be bad at all.

That seems like a great sounding, inexpensive and small 2-way that could go almost anywhere in the house. :T

Jim
                    I was actually thinking about doing that, after I get around to finishing several other projects on my plate. I do like the little Aura titanium, enough to have a few pairs in stock and used in several projects.

At the time I do that, (I should say if) I could hammer out a full range filter in the same box. It's probably going to require a LCR notch and a BSC shelf but those will be easily tweakable for any liking.
                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I was actually thinking about doing that, after I get around to finishing several other projects on my plate. I do like the little Aura titanium, enough to have a few pairs in stock and used in several projects.

At the time I do that, (I should say if) I could hammer out a full range filter in the same box. It's probably going to require a LCR notch and a BSC shelf but those will be easily tweakable for any liking.
                      :T Very cool John! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing what you come up with.

Jim

Comment

• JonP
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz

Jim
                        And a decent, small sub...

I smell a BOSEBUSTER!!!! :B

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Wouldn't using a $9 tweeter with a +$50 woofer sort of defeat the purpose of a high end, almost full-range driver? :E

I like the W4 so much I may buy four of them for a project I may start... early next year, it seems.
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• peter_m
                            • Sep 2007

Any progress on a notch filter for the W4-1337SA?

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Look in the Lineup series thread. There is a full range version there.

The F4 is the full range.

Comment

• peter_m
                                • Sep 2007

Dougie thanks for the link to the F4,

exactly what I needed but he filter a little complex with it's 4 coils. Is there a simpler solution with a simpler filter?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

If you read the origional thread Filling a missing niche it explains why. I don't know of any others who have done anything with the w4 full range.

Comment

• Operandi
                                    • May 2007

Zaph offered to design a filter for it if somebody finished up an enclosure but that was before the Jed's Lineup series surfaced.

I was planning on using the F4 crossover myself just because it's already done but I haven't talked to Zaph since my cabinet was finished. Would there be much interest in simpler crossover?

Comment

• jkrutke
                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Operandi
                                      Zaph offered to design a filter for it if somebody finished up an enclosure but that was before the Jed's Lineup series surfaced.

I was planning on using the F4 crossover myself just because it's already done but I haven't talked to Zaph since my cabinet was finished. Would there be much interest in simpler crossover?
                                      You may as well just build Jed's. There's not quite as many ways to address a full range speaker filter design - you just throw notches and BSC comp at it until it's sufficiently flat. So far my only usage of this has been with active filtering, consisting of 2 notches and minimal BSC since it was near field. If/when I do a passive for it, the chances are that it will be real close to Jed's design, or maybe a bit simpler depending on how far away from flat I can stand.

I would expect the simplest allowable topology to be just like the filter I did for the Hi-Vi B3S - one RL shelf and one RLC notch. That would leave a couple diffraction ripple irregularities in there, something that Jed has addressed in his design.
                                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Operandi
                                        • May 2007

You may as well just build Jed's. There's not quite as many ways to address a full range speaker filter design - you just throw notches and BSC comp at it until it's sufficiently flat. So far my only usage of this has been with active filtering, consisting of 2 notches and minimal BSC since it was near field. If/when I do a passive for it, the chances are that it will be real close to Jed's design, or maybe a bit simpler depending on how far away from flat I can stand.

I would expect the simplest allowable topology to be just like the filter I did for the Hi-Vi B3S - one RL shelf and one RLC notch. That would leave a couple diffraction ripple irregularities in there, something that Jed has addressed in his design.
                                        That's kinda what I assumed, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"