X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thasqgotme
    • Jan 2009

Finishing Walnut Cabinets?

I just ordered all of my drivers and crossover parts today for the Shticks. I also went to my local wood shop and had them rough cut my panels out of 1/2" Walnut plywood. Luckily they had some perfect 4'x4' scraps of that stuff, because they wanted $120 a sheet for it.

The sides of the Walnut obviously have that layered plywood look to them. Is there a trick to getting them to match the surface? What do you guys do to hide them?

Also, what kind of router bit do you guys use to trim the edges of the cabinet flush?

Thanks again :T
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Got a link to the Shticks? That's a new one to me.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Domain for Sale. LoneSaguaro.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by thasqgotme
        The sides of the Walnut obviously have that layered plywood look to them. Is there a trick to getting them to match the surface? What do you guys do to hide them?

Also, what kind of router bit do you guys use to trim the edges of the cabinet flush?

Thanks again :T
        Welcome and good luck!

I'm using edge veneer to cover the edge of the plywood because my table saw is not up to mitered joints - 45 degree bevels that glue together to form a 90 degree corner with only surface veneer visible (in case you're not familiar with the term).

You want a roundover bit, as large as you can afford or your router can run. Most recommendations I've seen are for a 1.5" diameter, 0.75" radius, but no one criticizes going larger. The alternative is to bevel the baffle edge, a cinch to do, even with my table saw.

Have fun,
        Frank

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by thasqgotme
          what kind of router bit do you guys use to trim the edges of the cabinet flush?
          A flush trim bit

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"