X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

Pre-build thread - wood working questionsss

Here is what I intend to build:
    A TMM design in a 9 x 12.5 x 44 MDF enclosure with a 1.5" thick baffle. The baffle will not be removable and it's two vertical edges will have a 3/4" round-over. The veneer sheet will be one single piece covering the left side panel, wrap around the front baffle and continue to the right side panel. That is why I opted for a 3/4" round-over, so the veneer seamlessly wraps around all 3 surfaces showing no seams.

Questions:
    Will the veneer crack on a 3/4" round-over? Paper backed or raw veneer? What kind of adhesive is best?

Would it be possible to veneer the baffle after the driver openings are made? This would allow me access to the back of the baffle with a router before gluing it in place.

The rear panel, any arguments to make it permanently fixed or removable?

Should I veneer the rear as well or is it a wast of time/money?

What do you more experienced builders think?

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Enclosure Plan.gif
Views:	125
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	869460
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:09 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Feel free to take advantage of the forum's search function and our reference threads

Hello, I am about to start my first speaker project and have been researching veneering methods. Unfortunately I have not been able to come to any conclusions on the best method. My concerns are not just ease of use but I also want to ensure it will stand the test of time. I will be using raw 0.6mm American black walnut.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:09 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DeathMonk
      • Jun 2008

veneering, loudspeakers, DIY, iron-on veneer, williamrschneider
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:10 Thursday. Reason: Update url

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"