X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IMS
    • Nov 2008

Seeking Expert Advice

I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms. I would like to upgrade my current system going the diy route. I enjoy projects. I currently have the Axiom M80ti, 150, and QS8. It has worked well for me, but I find the mains bright, and fatiguing at times. I also have an SVS pc+ sub. I believe my setup works better for movies than music. And I listen to music about 75% of the time.

I would like to start with mains, and cost isn't a huge issue. Although this will be my first build, I am patient and believe I can handle most of the designs. Plus, I have a friend who is a cabinetmaker in case needed. I have read many of the threads for different designs, and find myself wanting whichever design I am reading about at the time :roll:

My listening area is very large, since it is a great room design. Probably close to 8000 cf.

I also know I need room treatments, but it's very difficult to know where to start in such a wide open room.

My goal is to see how much I can improve on the Axiom's, but I really don't know what to expect. I get the impression these are mid-fi.

So, would I see a distinct improvement going with one of the great looking designs on here?

I assume monitors our out with my space. Are there recommended plans for that size of space? I'm trying to narrow the list down, if I don't go crazy first.

Greg
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well you can pretty much put whatever you want in something that large. Could do monitors but they may strain a bit. Could do the big RS 3 Way MTMWW's could do the Statements. Just have to figure out what interests you. I'm currently working on Jed's Dynamic 4T that he sells as a kit (banner at the top of the page for Clearwave) and they are very nice. My cabinets are a bit different then his and a bit larger but they would easily fill your space.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Want electronics are you driving these with?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Finleyville
        • Sep 2006

Welcome and sorry about your wallet! :alol:

I wish I had your "design problem." I would go crazy! haha

Well, I think you will have to answer some other questions before we can help you further.

Are you happy with your level of playback for music and movies? Do you wish it had more umpf?

Since money isn't a factor what about WAF? Sometimes this can NEVER be avoided. haha

I believe that well placed room treatments can do more than even changing out speakers. (up to a point of course) If you are happy with your current midrange and lower registers then maybe taming the room can help. Like some throw rugs if you have hardwood floors, etc. There is a plethora of info out there if you search. While this may help it might not solve your general dislike towards your current system.

I would recommend finding some designs here that have corresponding center and surround channels for you. Look for projects that the mains can move a lot of air for your bigger room. Then once you decide on a particular design I would build the surrounds first. Why? Because you can get a feel for the voicing of a design without the large initial cost of the larger mains. Plus you can learn all the speaker building tricks on the little guys. So if they do not turn out perfect it doesn't matter as much. They will be placed in the back of the room anyway. If you like the way these sound then you just build the mains next. Leave the center for last. If you do not like them at all then choose another design.

I am sure you will be researching the immense amount of knowledge and design ideas here. The awesome thing is that these great designers participate here and are just a question away.

Good luck with your musical journey. Oh, and when you do start making sawdust you HAVE to post pics of the process and final results! Have fun!
        BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

See my response in a similar thread here.

He also has a very large room.

Comment

• IMS
            • Nov 2008

Thanks all.

I didn't say money was NO object, and there is a little WAF to deal with.

I am talking to a company about treatments, but I don't want to buy 50 panels. Now that is a WAF issue!

I am using a Yamaha RXV3000 as a prepro, about 10 years old, and in need of an upgrade soon. Also an Emotiva LPA1, which I'll probably swap for an XP5. The Emotiva did improve the overall sound.

So you're right about the wallet. All I have to do is sell all my old equipment.

What do the graphs signify with my equipment?

I like the idea of starting with the surrounds.

Comment

• IMS
              • Nov 2008

Jed - that was a very informative link you forwarded

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IMS
                What do the graphs signify with my equipment?
                That the top end of your speakers are hot (peaky). This is in keeping with what a couple of the reviewers wrote about them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• IMS
                  • Nov 2008

That's what I thought looking at the graph, and it pretty much confirms what I hear.

I appreciate the advice, and I think I just need to do more research on here.

Comment

• chasw98
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Depending upon where you live, you might find out if some of the people who hang out here live near you and would let you come listen to what they have built. Most people here are quite accomodating when it comes to showing, I mean, demonstrating their projects. You can put the area of the country you live in in your avatar thing.

Chuck

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Checkout the NeoDcc.

You can do as many channels as you want using the same speaker. To make the mains play louder use a bass bin as a speaker stand or build it as a MTMWW tower design. A couple 10" drivers are good for the bass bin (WW section).

This is an extremely neutral loudspeaker. Excellent for both music and HT.

Along with the NeoDcc consider Curt's "Statements" series...

these are a couple of the most sophisticated designs we have available.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        these are a couple of the most sophisticated designs we have available.....
                        I'll add to that the Lineup/Maxx Series, Khanspires, CJD's, and Augerpro's designs are worth taking a look at. I think they are equally as sophisticated. Sometimes less is more. :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"