X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeathMonk
    • Jun 2008

New Project - Sub!

After finishing my first ever DIY project as a gift to my dad (ZDT3.5s), I decided it was time for me to build something for myself!

Images not available

External dimensions (22"h x 17.5"w x 25"d)
    Internal dimensions (20.5"h x 16"w x 22"d)

I calculated 4.176 cu ft not including the bracing and driver. I am going to use a 4" precision port with an o-audio 500w plate amp and a shiva-x.

The next step is damping material.. I see that many people use regular old fiberglass insulation on the walls. Is there anything I should consider when doing this (thickness of insulation, paper back left on, etc)?

First DIY sub, be gentle
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:18 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Take off the paper backing, line the large flat surfaces with a layer of 3-1/2" glass

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DeathMonk
      • Jun 2008

Thanks, Thomas..

I'll update pics once completed, and give my impressions... I know it's up to size with what most people build around here. I didn't even use a Tempest!

Basically, my plan was to upgrade my sub without spending any extra money (sold my old sub). It looks like it's going to be close, but I think I did it.

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

There's a familiar shape, huh?

Comment

• DeathMonk
          • Jun 2008

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

no, absolutely not, it reminds me of the first one I built.
            I did an AS-15, it performed admirably and I'm quite fond of the shape.

Comment

• DeathMonk
              • Jun 2008

:lol: I guess my sarcasm e-detectors are off today.. You have any pics?

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415a.webp
Views:	36
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	944052

This sub no longer exists, the little fella s still around however.
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:17 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• DeathMonk
                  • Jun 2008

Ah.. I came across this one before. Like a bigger version of what I'm doing, really.

I would have gone bigger but there is just nowhere to put it..

Comment

• DeathMonk
                    • Jun 2008

Update: (Pretty much) Finished. I used truck bedliner for the finish. I still need to apply the finishing coat or two, but it's been too cold out. Overall, I am really impressed with the sound.

Image not available
                    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:18 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• nmuntz
                      • Jul 2008

That's a monster! How do you keep junior's toys and grilled cheese sandwiches out of that massive port!?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"