• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A9X
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bluewizard
    A9X:
    "I still see no good reason for putting a port on the front at all."

You see no reason to put it there, but do you actually have a reason for NOT putting it there?
    Yes and I said why. For a sub that has a steep LPF at LF (assuming no port turbulence) it is irrelevant but for a wideband LF/MF driver it can be an issue. Most ported boxes have little or no stuffing to absorb the rearwave MB radiation of a wideband driver in a ported box. As has been stated, due to the wavelengths involved for a ported tune, there is no difference for positioning.

My personal opinion is that most ports are ugly and I'd rather have my baffle area filled with large drivers than large holes. I never use ported boxes except as dedicated subs (and seldom then). Ports do not need to be far from a boundary so I feel you are confusing specific design and implementation issues with general design tradeoffs.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 01 October 2008, 09:51 Wednesday.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bluewizard
      Still, I think I've made my point, and am not sure I can really add any more. Mostly, it was just an excuse to vent.
      Neither your mother or your therapist work here, and we're not interested in trolls.

Fundamentally this thread has nothing to do with DIY so it's now closed.

Should you decide to start more threads they better deal specifically with DIY projects and present with a lot less 'attitude' or they'll be deleted.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"