This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james5
    • Dec 2007

Well after some long hard thought I think I'm going to scrap these cabs (at least for the natalie p's). I've worked on them a lot, but I won't be happy unless I get them perfect. I may scrap the natalie p and go for a modula mt build because one of my def tech surrounds seems to have died. I tried to sell the wife on a 22" mtm for the surrounds, but she doesn't want the living room to look too "guy".

Any recommendations on what I could do with these cabs? Maybe a big sub?

I think I want to go bigger on my mains anyway and I'll have a leftover rs180. What do you think about the mini statements? Could I reduce the baffle width to 9.75" or does it definitely need to stay at 10" (at least I'm asking this time before acting)? Would the ribbon tweeter blend with the rs28 in the surrounds or is this only important for the mains and cc?

I appreciate all the effort you guys have put into helping me.

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

James,
      It seems to me you had a good idea adding a second layer to the baffle. Round the 9" layer at the edge, then bevel the cabinet to match the 9" front piece so there's a smooth transition. I'm actually making a pair of NatP's with a separate front baffle as a design feature, so I'd be curious about anything you learn.

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

• james5
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by fbov
        James,
        It seems to me you had a good idea adding a second layer to the baffle. Round the 9" layer at the edge, then bevel the cabinet to match the 9" front piece so there's a smooth transition. I'm actually making a pair of NatP's with a separate front baffle as a design feature, so I'd be curious about anything you learn.

Have fun,
        Frank
        Well I can tell you that if you built a proper sized enclosure they should sound good. Mine sound good minus the echo in the midrange. You can't relly here it in rock music, but piano and vocals sound like they're in a cave.

I may convert these cabs to subs and build either the modula mt or nat p's as surrounds since my old ones just died.

I don't know...getting the nat p's "right" will take a lot of work and so will attempting to design a sub for my existing enclosures. We'll see what the good people of this board recommend.

Comment

• stangbat
          • Jan 2008

I know you want the nice look of the translam, but I think that if you could find an acceptable way to add a layer to the baffle so you get the 9" width, you can save your enclosure. And you could make it so the second layer doesn't cover the entire front face of the speaker. You could carry it down below the lower woofer so that you have a built up area the size of the original baffle. Then the translam would be visible below the built up part. Does that make any sense? Could look pretty cool.

Comment

• Saurav
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Maybe he could build a translam baffle? Which would basically be rectangular 'strips' glued together, right.

Comment

• stangbat
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Saurav
              Maybe he could build a translam baffle? Which would basically be rectangular 'strips' glued together, right.
              I thought of that, but I reconsidered mentioning it because it sounded like a lot of work. Of course translam sounds like a lot of work anyway. But that would be a pretty good solution too if he wants to keep the look.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"