X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Fuseable terminal cups

Quick question guys. I have two sets of terminal cups. One set has fuse holders the other set doesn't. Should I use the fuseables and if yes which terminal do I wire it up to? Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Use them if you want they do provide a measure of protection.

They're wired in series with the (+) input lead.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

And you'd generally use the fuse on the tweeter, I think. Though many people will question the need for a fuse in a home environment (you see them more in pro speakers), and question any possible negative sonic effects from having the fuse in the circuit. You could short it out with some wire too if you want.

Comment

• dynamowhum
        • Aug 2006

Thanks Thomas I forgot to ask one size fuse to use.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Fuse size depends on how much power you want the speaker to see before the fuse pops. Know that a fuse will not protect against transient peaks.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
            • Aug 2006

This is going on the non baffle step Nat Ps and will have 200watts at 4 ohms each.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You plan on feeding 200 watts into speaker with 60watt per woofer power handling?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• here.now
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                You plan on feeding 200 watts into speaker with 60watt per woofer power handling?
                Hence the need for a fuse

I've always wondered about DIY power handling. How does one rate their speaker, is it by the lowest rated driver or are there some calculations that consider the XO network?

Not that I'll ever measure what kind of watt's I'm feeding my speakers, it's just good to know so you don't accidentally over-feed your new setup.

-Jeff
                My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

From a practical standpoint fuses are really a trial and error thing.

Use the lowest current, fast-blow fuse that doesn't blow during normal listening. For a woofer, start with a 1 or 1-1/2 amp fuse and work up.

Understand that using this fuse doesn't idiot-proof a speaker, it simply provides a level of protection, sometimes at the expense of sound quality.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"