• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xycoth
    • Jul 2008

Request for On-Wall tips

My goal: On-Wall MTM speakers (LR or LCR) for HT room, BR, DVD, mp3 alike
    My room: approx 12x16 or so
    Requirements: A non-purely rectangular enclosure, as shallow as feasible for on-wall application, can be as tall as needed (within reason), but would like to keep width down if possible.

I have, what i believe to be, a possible enclosure design shown below. Would this be at all feasible (even if the dimensions need to be tweaked a bit)? Any recommendations on drivers? Would the driver selection/xover design for the natP inwall/onwall design be at all close to workable for an enclosure like what I want? How shallow can I go really (keep in mind I'd rather not do in-walls or a recessed box into the wall)?

Surrounds and a sub will be added to the system at a later date, but wanted to get the mains going first. I will likely be attempting Zaph's slimlines for the surrounds.

Thanks for any tips.

<Initial box design>
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Any reason you can't go in-wall? Just curious - if you can do a half in half out the back wall isn't so close to the driver, which really can help with internal reflections.

Driver spacing looks like it may be an issue in that sketch, but that's a lot easier to tweak.

I have full in-walls in my HT, but the front wall is also kinda fake, so they're about 7.5" deep.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Xycoth
      • Jul 2008

The two primary reasons I would rather not go in-wall are:
      1) The framing for the wall is only 2" deep instead of the normal 4" (2x2 studs nailed directly onto concrete foundation)
      2) It's quite possible I will only be here for a couple more years would like something I can take with me if/when I move. While theoretically that's still possible with in-walls, it would mean I'd have to repair the wall when I take out the speakers (minor issue, I know, but still...).

If there's really no way to properly do a pure on-wall, I could be convinced to use those extra two inches, but I'm not certain I'm there yet.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I have full in-walls in my HT, but the front wall is also kinda fake, so they're about 7.5" deep.
        Looks like Xycoth's are 7" deep so not much difference there.

Comment

• Xycoth
          • Jul 2008

C -

I've decided to go ahead and build out the wall to a full size (on top of the cheap 1/2 wall that was originally anchored to the cement), which would give me about 5 1/2" deep that I can recess into. Any suggestions on LCR's designs worth considering (either full in wall, or recessed with up to maybe 5-6" out of the wall...)? I'm considering building some NatP's, boxed but with the no-bsc xover, but i'm not really seeing much that would work well as a center?

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Not yet... feeling particularly lazy today or I might be out making sawdust on some half-in/out surrounds... grrr. maybe I should suck it up and sweat to death anyhow...

The full in-wall Modula's might be worth a consideration.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"