X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunchmoney
    • Jul 2008

Thanks again for everyone's input...

Ok... not giving up on the vented version... if I go sealed, I'll always wonder what they would have sounded like run full range and vented... so here's another stab at it, incorporating Curt's recommendations...

Volume is still 22 liters... center line of the elbow port is 5" long... I've put in a barrier of 1.5" thick foam behind the drivers and port, to separate the drivers and port from the stuffing.

Back panel will be 3 laminated layers of 1/4" masonite.

Better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TTTowers11.webp
Views:	20
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	945489

Name:	TTTowers12.webp
Views:	16
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	945490
    Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:59 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• lunchmoney
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dennis H
      Organ pipe schmorgan pipe. Read Zaph's blog for how to use stuffing in a ported tower enclosure to kill the vertical resonances. You're scaring poor lunchmoney over nothing. It's a non issue.
      Curt weighed in on this, and agreed that it might be an issue, although that stuffing might alleviate it, as you're saying... although in addition, he thought that it really should be deeper because of reflections off off the back wall... thus my latest iteration above.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Looks better although I don't think you need that much foam.

Comment

• lunchmoney
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Looks better although I don't think you need that much foam.
          What looks like a giant mass of white foam is just stuffing

Comment

• lunchmoney
            • Jul 2008

Ok... here it is... final design... gonna start making dust friday afternoon.

Curt gave the previous iteration a thumbs up, with a slight change that I might want to put the vent in the back... I initially thought I liked the look of the port on the front, but have changed my mind in favor of a cleaner look on the front...

...besides, an internal support for the rear-mounted port also becomes a convenient location for an internal brace for the entire enclosure.

Still 22 liters... 22.3 to be precise (with all of Tritrix Curt's enclosure designs, he seemed to add about .3 liters to the designated volume, so I figured I would follow suit)

Dimensions are slightly tweaked from the previous design which Curt ok'd... but if the previous dim's were ok and these dim's aren't, then we're firmly in the territory of differences that I would never notice

Stuffing/foam/etc not shown, because I haven't quite yet learned enough about the best approach for this... still researching... any thoughts?

THANK YOU to Curt and everyone else on this forum who helped me out with this.

Name:	TTTowers14.webp
Views:	19
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	945491

Name:	TTTowers15.webp
Views:	17
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	945492
            Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 21:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

If Curt likes it, go forth!

Does SketchUp calculate the interior volume for you? Tell us more, because there have been past questions on how easiest to calculate the volume of a box with curved sides.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Don't think Sketchup does. Solidworks does though I believe although I'm not sure how

Comment

• lunchmoney
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                  If Curt likes it, go forth!

Does SketchUp calculate the interior volume for you? Tell us more, because there have been past questions on how easiest to calculate the volume of a box with curved sides.
                  I'm using Solidworks... I create a block that represents the internal volume, that updates whenever I change anything, including the shapes of the curves... I then just measure the volume of that block...

Easy if you know Solidworks well, tricky if you don't.

I'm a Jedi Master at Solidworks... this project was stupid easy... 8)

Let me know if you need any help... I'd be happy to help out.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Ahh. For some reason I thought that this was SketchUp. Of course Solid Works has this power.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"