X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunchmoney
    • Jul 2008

Please evaluate my Tritrix Tower design

Using 7 liter sealed enclosures... a bit worried that they'll be too top-heavy... gonna create a chamber in the bottom and fill it with sand... if that's not enough I may have to create some kind of outrigger system...

Whaddya think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TTTowers3.webp
Views:	34
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	945480

Name:	TTTowers4.webp
Views:	20
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	945481
    Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:48 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Looks good to me

Comment

• Bill Schneider
      • Sep 2007

The curves you've created remind me of the work of a local sculptor, David Hostetler.

http://www.davidhostetler.com/

Name:	maize22.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	945482

Maybe it's because his work is all over campus here that I see the resemblance.

I like the idea.

Bill Schneider
      Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:49 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
      My audio projects:
      http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Should consider massing load the bottom or bolt them to a plinth.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Wouldn't that be what creating a box in the bottom and filling it with sand would be? :B

Comment

• lunchmoney
            • Jul 2008

Further development... with center channel and bases for the towers...

I decided that the towers were going to definitely be too top-heavy, even with a sand-filled chamber in the bottom, so I added a base to them... the extra slabs of 1" mdf in the base (shown in the 3rd picture in black) are simply to add weight... the upper most slab (shown wood-colored) is going to be doweled to the side walls of the tower for strength.... a big 'ol lag bolt through the middle of these slabs will fix the tower to the base.

The center channel is as large as it is in order to work well with the TV stand (the TV is going to sit directly on top of it)... the center channel has internal walls to create a sealed 7 liter enclosure, to match the towers...

Not sure what color I'm going to paint them yet... gotta consult with my better half on that one.

Name:	TTTowers5.webp
Views:	18
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	945483

Name:	TTTowers6.webp
Views:	18
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	945484

Name:	TTTowers7.webp
Views:	17
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	945485
            Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:51 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

That isn't a further development. Further development would be cutting some wood.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• lunchmoney
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                That isn't a further development. Further development would be cutting some wood.
                lol... I'm gettin there... just gotta figure it all out first... it's how I roll

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The plinth needs to be much larger too offset the mass at the top of the speaker. 3 little pieces of MDF aren't going to do anything toward mass loading the bottom

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lunchmoney
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    The plinth needs to be much larger too offset the mass at the top of the speaker. 3 little pieces of MDF aren't going to do anything toward mass loading the bottom
                    hmmm... I was hoping that the plinth would be wide enough to make it stable... perhaps it isn't... no biggie to make it larger.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

You might want to make up several size plinths then experiment regarding the smallest one that will prevent tipping. I think you'll be surprised at how big it actually needs to be to effectively stabilize the structure

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• lunchmoney
                        • Jul 2008

You might want to make up several size plinths then experiment regarding the smallest one that will prevent tipping. I think you'll be surprised at how big it actually needs to be to effectively stabilize the structure
                        Agreed... fortunately they're very easy to make and play around with.

My concern at the moment is whether or not I'm going to be happy with the MTM center... I've read that this format is less than ideal, but that the Tritrix is better for centers than most MTM's since the drivers are so close together...

The tritrix is the only center channel design I've found that is 8 ohms... my Yamaha HTR 5930 isn't rated for 4 ohms... I've heard that it might be ok at 4 ohms, but no one seems to know for certain... definitely don't want to do all this work and then blow my receiver.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                          • Jul 2008

Please evaluate my Tritrix Tower design

It's a vented Tritrix with an internal volume of 22.3 liters... drivers, port, crossover, and foam lining volumes have not been subtracted from this volume... Dayton shielded 5.25" classics, Dayton silky tweeter... crossover not shown, yes it will be inside the enclosure (haven't decided where yet).

Depth and height of the enclosure have obviously been changed from Curt's original design, but the baffle width has not been changed... all walls are 3/4" mdf, except for the side walls which are 1"

The curved back walls will be an adventure in kerfing and bondo

They might be a bit top heavy... I'm prepared to make a wider base if need be.

Lining is PE 1/2" open cell foam... think that's thick enough?

Let me know if you have any concerns with this... bear in mind that I'm not after absolute perfection here, but if there's anything glaring please let me know.

Many thanks for your help with this...

Name:	TTTowers8.webp
Views:	19
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	945486

Name:	TTTowers9.webp
Views:	19
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	945487
                          Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I'd like to know how the heck your going to curve a piece of wood like that

Comment

• lunchmoney
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                              I'd like to know how the heck your going to curve a piece of wood like that
                              Kerfing and bondo... experimenting, patience, and probably a good deal of cursing... I'll get it... not too worried

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Good luck! Looks great though.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                  • Nov 2004

If you're going to go through all the effort to build these why not up the ante and build something with better SQ? Maybe cjd's RS MTM or, if you want to go bigger, the Natalie P or Modula?

Comment

• Jed
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

I agree with Mazeroth. I recently heard some Modula designs at the Dayton DIY and they were very good sounding for the money.

I also don't understand why you would spend all that time on curving a part of the speaker you'll never see (the back).

Jed

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                      • Dec 2006

You've got yourself a nice 150 Hz. organ pipe there, and the foam will absorb just about nothing at that frequency.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

I believe that he is going for the Tritrix because it is 8 ohm and an easy load on his existing receiver.

Got a source for the 1" MDF? It will be harder than you think to find.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• John_E_Janowitz
                                          • Jan 2006

Just a quick comment. If you make the back piece the full width of the enclosure it will be much easier to build. In your drawing you have it between the sides. If you cut the sides first, then put the back over it, you'll have something to form the curve with. Easiest way to do that curve is to get 1/8" or 1/4" masonite. Bends very easily. Do one layer at a time and then laminate each layer until you get to the correct thickness.

John

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                                            If you're going to go through all the effort to build these why not up the ante and build something with better SQ? Maybe cjd's RS MTM or, if you want to go bigger, the Natalie P or Modula?
                                            1. Cost

2. Want something 8 ohm

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by John_E_Janowitz
                                              Just a quick comment. If you make the back piece the full width of the enclosure it will be much easier to build. In your drawing you have it between the sides. If you cut the sides first, then put the back over it, you'll have something to form the curve with. Easiest way to do that curve is to get 1/8" or 1/4" masonite. Bends very easily. Do one layer at a time and then laminate each layer until you get to the correct thickness.

John
                                              That's a great idea! Thanks!

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jed

I also don't understand why you would spend all that time on curving a part of the speaker you'll never see (the back).

Jed
                                                For the love of the challenge... I'm a designer by profession, and I really get into this sort of thing... this will be in my portfolio with pictures from different angles.

...also, if the back were just a flat wall, and I was still planning on having the curved sides, I'd have to make the whole enclosure much deeper in order to maintain the volume.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
                                                  You've got yourself a nice 150 Hz. organ pipe there, and the foam will absorb just about nothing at that frequency.
                                                  Can you elaborate more please? Do you think this design has significant issues?

Comment

• Jed
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by lunchmoney
                                                    For the love of the challenge... I'm a designer by profession, and I really get into this sort of thing... this will be in my portfolio with pictures from different angles.

...also, if the back were just a flat wall, and I was still planning on having the curved sides, I'd have to make the whole enclosure much deeper in order to maintain the volume.

Maybe you could find a way to curve the front too.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

1/2" foam won't absorb anything other than treble and a higher midrange frequencies.

Did you model the tuning of this box with a loudspeaker design program?

Aesthetics is one thing and loudspeaker design is usually something completely different.

There's a reason Curt's designs for this are deep as opposed to shallow.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                        • Dec 2006

Do you think this design has significant issues?
                                                        I think that if you don't stuff that pipe with absorbant it will honk like a wing of Canada Geese, with severe ripples every 150 Hz. all the way up to crossover. And that if you do stuff it enough to stop that you will lose much of the benefit of the port tuning. If you want to make it a transmission line you need to treat it as such from the beginning, understanding that that's a whole different design.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                          • Jul 2008

There's a reason Curt's designs for this are deep as opposed to shallow.
                                                          Curt's 7 liter sealed version of the Tritrix is about this shallow... perhaps if I want a design this shallow I should go back to a sealed design?

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                            • Jul 2008

I think that if you don't stuff that pipe with absorbant it will honk like a wing of Canada Geese, with severe ripples every 150 Hz. all the way up to crossover. And that if you do stuff it enough to stop that you will lose much of the benefit of the port tuning. If you want to make it a transmission line you need to treat it as such from the beginning, understanding that that's a whole different design.
                                                            Is it because of the shallow depth that you see this problem? How deep do you think it needs to be?

Comment

• djg
                                                              • May 2008

Suggestion

Make the top of your design the sealed version. You could still curve the back and maintain much the same shape and volume of the original box. Continue the back to the floor. It would be a little deeper than what you have now.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by djg
                                                                Make the top of your design the sealed version. You could still curve the back and maintain much the same shape and volume of the original box. Continue the back to the floor. It would be a little deeper than what you have now.
                                                                Yeah, maybe I'm in over my head trying to make a ported one this shallow...

Oh well, easy enough to make it sealed... Curt's 7 liter version is about this shallow... is that too shallow? Should I base it on the 10 liter version instead?

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Is it because of the shallow depth that you see this problem?
                                                                  No, it is because it is long . . . a pipe . . . with a natural resonance related to the length. The reason we keep boxes box shaped is to keep all dimensions relatively small, and the standing wave resonances high enough to be easily damped (or not excited at all in the case of subwoofers) without interfering with the lower frequency mass/volume resonance of the port. Working around the resonances of a pipe makes for very difficult enclosure design. The only choices that are likely to work are highly damped sealed (almost IB) and transmission line (wihch will take careful attention to design, measurement and stuffing detail.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2008

No, it is because it is long . . . a pipe . . . with a natural resonance related to the length. The reason we keep boxes box shaped is to keep all dimensions relatively small, and the standing wave resonances high enough to be easily damped (or not excited at all in the case of subwoofers) without interfering with the lower frequency mass/volume resonance of the port. Working around the resonances of a pipe makes for very difficult enclosure design. The only choices that are likely to work are highly damped sealed (almost IB) and transmission line (wihch will take careful attention to design, measurement and stuffing detail.
                                                                    Thanks Deward... I really appreciate your input... I think I'll just make it sealed...

If I make it similar in depth to Curt's 7-liter design, it wouldn't need to change much at all... do you think that's deep enough? or should I base it on the 10-liter design?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2005

Did you model the tuning of this box with a loudspeaker design program?
                                                                      I had that thought too. But, I wandered over and looked at the ported design Curt posted and it is a 22L vented. He claims his curved cab is also 22L. :shrug:
                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2005

foam lining volumes have not been subtracted from this volume...
                                                                        You don't subtract out this volume. The foam actually works to increase the volume seen by the drivers.

As others are pointing out, you'll want much thicker behind the drivers. On the sides won't be so important. Top and bottom could get important.

If he mounts the port up higher, and stuffs the whole bottom of the speaker with Acustic Stuff or Fibre Glass, would that work to get rid of the resonance?
                                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2008

You don't subtract out this volume. The foam actually works to increase the volume seen by the drivers.

As others are pointing out, you'll want much thicker behind the drivers. On the sides won't be so important. Top and bottom could get important.

If he mounts the port up higher, and stuffs the whole bottom of the speaker with Acustic Stuff or Fibre Glass, would that work to get rid of the resonance?
                                                                          Thanks...

Yeah, I wouldn't have any problem having the port be higher.

Would that work?

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2008
                                                                            • 152

Ok, how about this then?... 9 liters sealed... lining not shown.

Internal height and width is exactly the same as Curt's sealed designs... obviously I've gotten a bit creative with the depth... but according to Curt anything between 7 and 15 liters is acceptable... the 7 liter design is certainly shallower than this.

Think this will sound ok? Being used in conjunction with a sub...

Name:	TTTowers10.webp
Views:	20
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	945488
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 16 July 2023, 20:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 170

#39
                                                                              That's a good question. If there's enough fiberglass to take out the 150 Hz. resonance would the port "see" the stuffed volume, and how would it effect the tuning? I just don't know. The closest comparable that I can think of is the Linkwitz PLUTO, where he stuffs the pipe until it behaves like an IB (no port). In PLUTO the pipe resonance is quite bad without the stuffing . . .

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 170

#40
                                                                                Ok, how about this then?... 9 liters sealed... lining not shown.

. . .

Think this will sound ok? Being used in conjunction with a sub...
                                                                                Don't "line", stuff. Pick you box size not by "looks" but to give a Q of .7 and an F3 at your desired crossover frequency, or reasonably close. Any box modeler will "do the numbers" for you . . . WinISP Pro or whatever.

Form follows function, and all that . . .

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2008
                                                                                  • 152

#41
                                                                                  Don't "line", stuff. Pick you box size not by "looks" but to give a Q of .7 and an F3 at your desired crossover frequency, or reasonably close. Any box modeler will "do the numbers" for you . . . WinISP Pro or whatever.

Form follows function, and all that . . .
                                                                                  Ok, supposedly the Q of a 10 liter box for this design is .707... so I guess I'll make it 10 liters.

Ok, stuffed it is... Curt recommends "100% fill" for the sealed enclosures... what exactly does this mean?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 170

#42
                                                                                    Ok, supposedly the Q of a 10 liter box for this design is .707... so I guess I'll make it 10 liters.

Ok, stuffed it is... Curt recommends "100% fill" for the sealed enclosures... what exactly does this mean?
                                                                                    That will determine, then, what your crossover frequency to the sub should be, give or take, more or less.

""give or take, more or less" is what "100% fill" means, too. I had a Dahlquist DQ1W that had the box so full of foam and fiberglass and "stuff" that looked like the scrap box from a carpet store that when you unscrewed the driver it popped up three inches from the baffle from the pressure. I think most people mean somewhere between a half pound and a pound per cubic foot of fiberglass or poly batting, which will probably fill the box enough that you'll want a layer of foam behind the driver to keep it from migrating and touching the cone. You'll have to ask Curt what it means to him.

I like to see more by weight, but I use the higher density "rigid" rockwool, so even a couple pounds per cubic foot doesn't necessarily completely fill the box. I don't use foam at all, since fiberglass and rockwool are much more effective. And I don't "line" the box because air motion is greater, and thus the damping material more effective, away from the walls.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2002
                                                                                      • 3798

#43
                                                                                      No, it is because it is long . . . a pipe . . . with a natural resonance related to the length.
                                                                                      No big. Lightly stuff the area behind the drivers and you will kill direct midrange reflections off the back wall and out through the drivers as well as top-bottom bass resonances. It's not like nobody ever built a good sounding tower before.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 170

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                                        It's not like nobody ever built a good sounding tower before.
                                                                                        You do know the difference between the sound of an eight foot ceiling and the sound of an eight foot organ pipe . . . right? And why there's a difference?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2002
                                                                                          • 3798

#45
                                                                                          Organ pipe schmorgan pipe. Read Zaph's blog for how to use stuffing in a ported tower enclosure to kill the vertical resonances. You're scaring poor lunchmoney over nothing. It's a non issue.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"