X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • here.now
    • Jun 2008

Questions about X-over building.

So, here I am sitting in front of all my shiny new parts to build some nice Modula MTM's. Suddenly I realize, I've never built a cross-over network before! Thus I come to my information database, you guys!

Anyone have any references to cross-over building. I'm following the guide, have bought all the parts on the BOM and I have basic knowledge of electronic parts and experience soldering. The things I don't know are, how to tell which way to wire caps and inductors, what type of wire is best for connecting the parts, and also what type of solder.

If anyone one could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again, I'm glad I found a community who's open to newbies!
    My Stack Rack Build
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Use the pictures of the assembled boards as your guide for building the crossovers.

16 gauge stranded copper wire is fine. Any electrical solder is fine

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• timdog
      • Apr 2008

here.now, if you ordered the components based off of a BOM, then you have what you need. They likely are non-polarized components, meaning you can wire them either way...polarized components are intended to be used in one direction, and can usually be identified by an indent around the circumference on ONE end of the compenent...sometimes non-polarized have no indent or one on each end. Below is a refresher on soldering and some guidance for going from schematic to board. There are also plenty of examples on this forum. Remember, keep inductors spaced and off-axis from wach other...reason being the create a magnetic field with all those windings and if they are too close they will interfere with each other...3-4 inches is sufficient.

good luck,
      Tim

Comment

• here.now
        • Jun 2008

Thank you Tim, this was exactly what I needed.
        My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• timdog
          • Apr 2008

No problem,
          Good luck and have fun.
          Tim

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There are soldering references (including a video), inductor layout information and lots of other information related to this topic in this forums FAQ's and reference section.

That said the pictures of the assembled crossovers in the first post of the Modula MTM thread are the best reference for this project.....

For example...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• flamethrower1
              • May 2008

Hey Thomas, where did you get the little terminal strips.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Ratshack has the terminals. Buy the long ones and cut them to size with a razor knife.

Comment

• cyberspyder
                  • Apr 2008

Email Troels Gravesen for help: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"