X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juliovideo
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Saurav
    As I've gotten older, I've gone in the other direction When I first got into 'audiophilia', I used to listen for the fingers scraping on the strings, the precise imaging, the difference in sheen between the cymbals. But after a while, that turned into an intellectual observation of the music rather than an emotional connection with it. Recently I spent some time listening to this at the VSAC show:

A good acoustic jazz recording reminded me of what a real drumkit and piano feel like (I used to play in a band in college, and was taking piano lessons until a few months ago when we had our first child). Punch? This had punch I'm sure it measures very poorly on many many parameters, but the one thing it did better than almost any other system I've heard, is lifelike dynamics. I've heard the big Kharmas and Wilsons and Avalons, and they're not even close.

It's all a matter of what you're looking for. For me, I'm not satisfied by something that achieves tonal accuracy at the cost of scale and dynamics. Everyone has to find their point of balance with all the compromises that go into every design.

Which is way OT for this thread, and somewhat orthogonal to your point about boosted bass (which I agree with), but I just wanted to mention that there's more to 'punch' than just the loudness control.

Very sexy design that you shows .................... I think it should be in this group :T

:dothewave:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    "Liberty is the right of every man to be honest, to think and to speak without hypocrisy.."

José Martí (1853 to 1895)

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"