X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tlkindred
    • Apr 2008

Zaph ZD5 in PE Cabinet?

I'd like to build John's ZD5 but don't have the time or inclination to build the cabinets. In fact I would have Madisound build the crossovers and have a local shop do the router work. The problem of course is that the PE .5 cubic foot cabinets are 8.5 inches wide which he specifically warns against. Recommendations would be helpful. Thanks, Tony
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Well it seems you've already answered your question. I suppose you have two options. Pay someone to build the cabinets for you to spec (that local shop you speak of) or build the SR71 since you can get the cabinets and baffles ready-made for it. Of course the ZD5 is in another league though...

Comment

• Operandi
      • May 2007

1.5" isn't insignificant. If you want to get the most out of those pricey drivers and Zaph's work build the enclosure as recommended. If thats not an option there are other very good designs that will accommodate pre-made enclosures.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

I know one guy who was happy with these in a 7.5 cu ft PE MTM enclosure, vented with the port on the front below the woofer, tuned to 30 Hz. It's an 8" wide enclosure, close enough to not make too much of a difference. I'd do sealed first, and if that's not enough bass for you, convert to vented. And you might as well make it one of the sexy curved cabinets too.

Crossover assembly is difficult for this system. I somewhat regret publishing something so complicated. If someone builds the crossovers for you, I'd ask for an impedance test with the drivers hooked up to check everything out.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• tlkindred
          • Apr 2008

Zd5

Will take your advice for having the crossover built. And, bite the bullet and build the cabinets myself. I want to stay as close to your design as possible. Just don't have much time. Thanks for taking the time to respond John. - Tony

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"