X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor550
    • May 2007

Small rs15" sub ideas?

What would be a good sized enclosure for a RS390HO?

Specifications: *Power handling: 800 watts RMS/1400 watts max *VCdia: 2-1/2" *Le: 1.90 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.3 ohms *Frequency range: 21 - 600 Hz *Fs: 21 Hz *Magnet weight: 150 oz. *SPL: 90 dB 2.83 V/1m *Vas: 4.60 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.10 *Qes: .41 *Qts: .37 *Xmax: 12mm *Dimensions: A: 15-5/16", B: 14-1/8", C: 6-1/8".

The PE website suggests 1.4 sealed, I was thinking a sealed 17-18 inch cube highly dampened (~2.8 cu' internal ), I dont know how that would affect the responce tho. I am no expert.

I dont have any test equpiment, i am visiting at a friends house in another state, he has a great woodshop so I want to build a box while I am here. I would like to keep the box under 19 inches cubed. My plans are to either pair it up with my floorstanding NatP's or doing a nice finishing job and try to sell it to a friend to mach decor ...all depending on how finances go. :-p

Suggestions?
    Check out my cabinet designs. *Updated 6/16/07*

See my finished Dayton/Seas Project
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

I'm actually working on a design using the RSS390HO in roughly the same internal volume. My cabinet will have curved side walls though. A cabinet that size lightly stuffed will give you a Qtc around .60 and should sound very nice.

What do you plan to power it with?

Comment

• Raptor550
      • May 2007

its velodyne spl2 amp, search for it on the internet, its normally an amp on a higher end commercial sub. I dont know too much about it because I ran into it on craigslist, but if it works its a 1000watts 2000 peak Class D amp, well see how it goes:

Comment

• owdi
        • Feb 2008

I suggest making the sub narrow, so the side walls brace the front baffle. Also, an easy way to make a box look curvy is using MDF corner forms from rockler.com, they provide a 3" round. I used them in my latest sub and really like them.

(Dayton 12" Ref HF in 2.4 cu ft sealed)

Dan

Comment

• Raptor550
          • May 2007

Those rounds look handy, how do you plan to finish them? The hotdog style box is a good idea, I like the cube asthetic better because I am going to champhur all the sides and try to pass it off as a coffie table but right now I am trying to work with this wood going around the knots to find 6 19*19 useable arias because i am useing scraps of nice wood, not a big sheet.

anyone know how low this might go with a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

My cabinet will be wider at the front than at the back and there will be plenty of bracing to keep any of the walls from flexing.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
              • Aug 2001

Originally posted by owdi
              I suggest making the sub narrow, so the side walls brace the front baffle. Also, an easy way to make a box look curvy is using MDF corner forms from rockler.com, they provide a 3" round. I used them in my latest sub and really like them.

Dan
              Very cool. How were they to work with...how did you clamp them?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

Well hello there, Jack! Long time no see!

Comment

• Raptor550
                  • May 2007

What do you guys use to predict f rolloff in differnt sized enclosures?

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Unibox

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

For the Microsoft Office challenged you can also use WinISD Pro (I had problems with Unibox in Open Office). It'll do pretty much the same thing. You can also get it running in Wine under Linux ^_^
                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Or, for a quicky look, you can use ISD Online if you have Java installed. I use that one for drivers I just want to take a casual glance at because you don't need to enter all the T/S numbers, just Fs, Vas and Qts.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                          • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                          Well hello there, Jack! Long time no see!
                          'tsup?

Comment

• Hank
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2002

Well, I'll be danged - it's Jack! What's shakin'?

Any hot news from you, Brian?

BTW, Dan, I like your implementation of the corner rounds.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2001

Hank,

Not much. Wife has a new job which keeps her out of town during the week, I'm building a few speakers, all with curved sides, etc. You know, the usual!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                • Aug 2001

For the Microsoft Office challenged you can also use WinISD Pro (I had problems with Unibox in Open Office). It'll do pretty much the same thing.
                                That's what I found, same results. I've been using WinISD exclusively since I also use OpenOffice and Unibox just doesn't run on it for me. Maybe a patch could get it to play nice?

Well, I'll be danged - it's Jack! What's shakin'?
                                Howdy Hank! Not much DIY goin' on with me lately, baby and work. :cry:

Wife has a new job which keeps her out of town during the week, I'm building a few speakers, all with curved sides, etc.
                                I'm thinking the latter curves are somehow compensating for absence of the former?

Not to hijack, but since you're both here and it's a RS thread...any better option than the RS HF10" (RSS265HF) for my one remaining memory from my DIY career, a 1 ft^3 sealed box, and my old PE 300-800 150w plate amp? The deepest bass and high SPL are not options anymore with the baby close, and I have my Buttkicker to help with tactile LFE. Looks nice in WinISD Pro.

Thanks gents...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2001

Jack,

Could be, although the idea came up long before the job even came up!

Yes the 10" HiFi looks good in 1ft^3 with 150W. With a little stuffing Q is down in the low .6 range. I built one sub with the 10" HO using a 13" external cube (1.5" baffle) and a 300W BASH amp. It didn't go super low, but the low Q design sounded really nice with music.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"